Dell e172FPb Actual Schematics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell e172FPb Actual Schematics

Well its nice to hear,that the weather is great in Phoenix,although I'm sure Santa,in that Red suit etc,would like things to be slightly cooler,and I suppose, your Rudolph's red nose,is due to sunburn !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rtech View Post
      Well its nice to hear,that the weather is great in Phoenix,although I'm sure Santa,in that Red suit etc,would like things to be slightly cooler,and I suppose, your Rudolph's red nose,is due to sunburn !!!
      No, Rudolph's red nose is due to his fondness for tequila!

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

A thaw began yesterday, 8C today... all the ice and frost has vanished. Some neighbours still have no water as the pipes are frozen underground!

Agree with Rtech, in an earlier post you reported voltages from the various pins, and all looks good. It's normal for the voltages to be a little higher or lower by perhaps as much as 1-5%, better on the voltage stabilised +3.3V, but not more than that. The voltages may read a little different if there is no video board connected or the inverter is not running. The essential requirement is that the voltages are stable.

Use the battery method if you wish. Be sure to have all 4 connectiors plugged in on the inverter side of the board. Power up the board, then make the connections, battery or jumper wire.

If your CCFL's do not stay on, set your DMM to DC volts and check 12Volt output from the PSU, measure from the ground (black DMM probe) Rtech mentioned and check the voltage at both sides of PF751 with the red DMM probe. Do this on each board.

Expect to measure 12V on both sides of the fuse PF751 if it is good. Note that Voltage here could be higher or lower than 12V, (perhaps 10v-18v) but typically 14volts approx based on the unit's I have had on the bench, so report the actual measurements taken. It's exact value depends on the PSU as as this voltage is not regulated (the +5Volts is) it may vary from it's nominal value.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
          No, Rudolph's red nose is due to his fondness for tequila!

PlainBill
          I agree ....

As for the ccfls, you will need all four to be good in order for them to stay on...one bad, and the inverter will shut down.
          Last edited by EGuevarae; 12-27-2010, 12:40 PM.
          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
          • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
          • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
          • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
          • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
          • Windows 10 Pro x64
          • GeForce GT1050
            2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Perhaps it's a bad omen to post on what seems to be an older thread, but I currently have a disassembled E172FPb with a customized back-light, and because my back-light is not driven by the inverter board, I thought that for my specific application it would be better to replace the power board with a smaller custom built power supply option. I know the voltages I need to activate the LCD panel and the logic board, but I don't know the amperage requirements and tolerances for those +5 V and +3.3 V lines, or the tolerances. I'm also assuming since I have my own back-light I don't even need to connect the pins which adjust and activate the CCFLs. Does anyone have any advice or guesses as to what the power requirements and tolerances would be for these voltage lines?

Comment

Certainly a lot of PSU/Inverters,have output voltages etc indicated on them,and have regularly seen the 5V being rated at between 1.8 and 2 amps MAX, these being for 17" Monitors.The 3.3 volts is normally obtained from the 5v via a 3.3v fixed Voltage Regulator.
              Hope that is of some small help.

Comment

Originally posted by Rtech View Post
                From my cct diagram,pinouts as follows:-
                1)backlight adjust(dim)
                2)Backlight ON
                3)Pins 3,4,5 and 6 ground(earth)
                4)Pin 7 and 8, 5volts Dc
                5)Pin 9 and 10,3.3volts DC
                So initially just measure Pins 7,8 9 and 10 with the meter neg lead on the ground.
                I, like some users on other threads, have been looking for the pinout voltages for the logic board so that I can create my own custom power supply. However, with this information, I am unsure of which pins are which. I know that pins 1,2,9,10 are labeled, but the numbering for the pins in the middle.. are they labeled so that all the odd number pins are one one side and the evens on the other? Or does the numbering go in a "zig-zag" style?

This is probably a very newbie question, I apologize in advance.

This thread is great btw thank you all previous contributors!

Comment

I'm lost trying to follow this thread...
                  System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

lol its ok i think i figured it out. its not a long thread but basically i figured out that no matter what the pins are numbered as, since 9 and 10 are 3.3v and 7 and 8 are 5v, then it doesn't matter the order.i feel like i didn't express myself well haha

Comment

also, does anyone know the current (amperage) limits of the logic board? I now (as I quoted a previous poster's contribution) know the pinout voltages for the logic board, and thanks to the below two links, I also know how to take a PC power supply and find the right cables that output the right voltages. But what about current? I have been warned by disclaimers in the below two links that the PC power supplies a lot of current- do I have to regulate this somehow?

Comment

^forgot to post the links lol here they are:

http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Com...b-Power-Supply

I also noticed that because I am using a power supply from an old Dell, the colors don't apply since they use their own color scheme. Here is the reading on that:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=339053

Comment

I have a low opinion of substituting a PC power supply because of an inability to repair the original. It reminds me of the PC equivalent of the attached picture.

The analogy I use is to the water main supplying water to your home. The water main may be able to supply 1000 gallons per minute, but it won't push all 1000 GPM through your garden hose. Similarly, the amperage rating (amperage exaggeration in some cases) indicates how many amps the supply can source, no problems will occur if you only use a fraction of that.

PlainBill
                          Attached Files
                          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

If your PC is the equivalent of whatever-it-is-in-the-pic then surely it's time for binning it
                            System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

Originally posted by dumpystig View Post
                              If your PC is the equivalent of whatever-it-is-in-the-pic then surely it's time for binning it
                              Why? I still have the first PC I ever owned. It was a 3.77 Mhz clone of the IBM XT with a 14" monochrome monitor. It had 128K of ram and dual 5.25" floppies. It ran DOS 3.3. The 'case' was a sheet of plywood. Over the years I added a hard drive, upgraded to a color monitor, then replaced the motherboard with a 386SX with 2-1 Meg SIMMs. By 1992 it had morphed into a 50 Mhz 486 with 4 Meg of RAM and 1 Gig hard drive in a real case, and with a VGA monitor.

PlainBill

Comment

I second PlainBill's opinion. Every PC I've ever owned is in the basement waiting to be used for parts or as something else. As for the attached picture, it is very funny. Made my day, actually. I can see why you think it is clunky, and that is not something I truly care about. I got inspired by this guy:

http://computerguru365.blogspot.com/...l-monitor.html

But not because I want a giant box hanging off the back of my LCD monitor effectively turning it into the size of a CRT, but because my intentions for the monitor I am trying to "salvage" is to turn it into a DIY projector. I do not need backlights because I am replacing those with a 100W LED and I can use the extra 12V outputs on the PC power supply to power fans in the projector enclosure. So in my special case, the unneccessary-ness is actually quite useful!

And thank you for that "water main" analogy. Definitely easy to remember and very helpful! Thank you good sir!

Comment

Well it's one thing making things last or re-using parts and another thing 'adapting' something into a pig-ugly botch job - and the 'car' in that pic falls into the latter.

I'm in agreeance with you both on re-using or modding stuff, but the way I do things is to make them as neat and professional as possible.

Comment

now this i will have to try. great idea ty

Comment

Originally posted by dumpystig View Post
                                      Well it's one thing making things last or re-using parts and another thing 'adapting' something into a pig-ugly botch job - and the 'car' in that pic falls into the latter.

I'm in agreeance with you both on re-using or modding stuff, but the way I do things is to make them as neat and professional as possible.
                                      I feel like one can still make very elegant mods while also being as resourceful as possible. Just because I am using an unorthodox power supply for the logic board, doesn't mean my project is going to be crap.

For those interested in what I am making, here is what I am basically following:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/06/h...jector-part-6/

Comment

By the way, I would like to thank everyone here on this thread; I fired up the power supply and it worked perfectly. I connected the right cables to the pins on the logic board and it fired up perfectly! So combining the pinout voltages mentioned in this thread and the links I posted previously, for those who want to just skip attempting to fix the power/inverter board and just supply power to the logic board and custom backlights on your own, everything you need is above in this thread ^^^^.

-Paul

Comment

Working...
                                        X