X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus SL-22A

Asus SFF PSU SL-22A
    Rated @ 220w with PFC

This particular tiny bite sized PSU was passed onto me recently because it was out-of-warranty and was failing despite having been repaired just prior to warranty lapse, AFAIK the issue was no system power up (jumpered OK) but the 12v rail was pretty dismal @ 11.55v (no load) whilst the remaining voltages were acceptable @ 3.36 v& 5.20v

Due to it's small form factor this project exhibited a few more difficulties than the usual capacitor retro-fit and thus there is no in progress pictures (I just wanted to get it over and done with), inside was definitely not attractive with Teapo reigning supreme in the bulging capacitor department, oddly enough there was a lone wolf Jaimicon 2200uF 16v in there too keeping the Teapos company, best guess would be that was the extent of the previous 'service repair'

New components:
    SamXon GC 1000uF 6.3v
    SamXon GC 1500uF 6.3 (x2)
    SamXon GC 2200uF 6.3v
    Sanyo WG 3300uF 6.3v (x3)
    Nichicon PM 2200uF 16v
    Panasonic 1200uF 16v

The only quirk the PSU now exhibits is an increase of less then 5% under system load on the 12v line all other voltages remain relatively stable... not having had much experience with PFC I would guess this is the cause? Oh well I'm going to leave it cycling through memtest86 on an old (and expendable) Slot 1 Pentium system overnight, that should indicate any ongoing stability issues etc. I would imagine

Any comments/feedback welcomed
    Viva LA Retro!

Re: Asus SL-22A

Well the overnight 'run in' test was concluded after 10 hours, voltages remained constant (under system load) at...

3.3v ~ 3.36v
    5.0v ~ 4.96v
    12v ~ 12.52v

As briefly mentioned previously the 12v line jumps when loaded, in this case to 12.10v with an optical drive attached (and seeking), 12.40v with a full system attached and to 12.52v when that system is operating under 100% CPU cycles, I suppose that better than a sagging voltage

EDIT:
    - Approaching 12.6v (+5% tolerance) made me feel uneasy, so using the variable resistor accessible from outside the PSU case, I pulled that down to 12.36v (fully loaded) with only having to sacrifice 0.08v on the 5.0v line
    Last edited by tazwegion; 01-22-2009, 11:49 PM.
    Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Update: Asus SL-22A

Sadly I heard back from the individual I repaired this PSU for that it failed again after 12 hours (of flawless operation I must add) bringing it's life to 22 hours total since retro fitment of capacitors, I'm at a loss as to why that occurred as the only visible internal damage was the capacitors, my best guess is a pre-existing issue (masked by the retro fit) eventually brought about the 3rd demise of the unit

The PSUs air circulation wasn't the best to begin with perhaps the fan died further stacking the cards against it? I'm aware the Asus S-presso SFFs run a toasty Intel P4 processor which are well known for their cooling requirements (and excessive heat production)... I guess short of an autopsy I'll never really know

Oh well nothing ventured nothing gained
      Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Working...
      X