Clear All

Re: Boardviews of some phones/tablets

Thanks a lot

Comment

Thanks ;_)

Comment

Unfortunately the open source boardview program cannot open these files since they are encoded. Too bad, it's a great post with much information.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=158
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...1&postcount=63
          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
            Unencrypted BVR3 files.

Galaxy S7
            iPhone 4
            iPhone 4S
            iPhone 5
            iPhone 5C
            iPhone 5S
            iPhone 5S WCDMA
            iPhone 6
            iPhone 6P
            iPhone 6S
            Thank you very much!
            Vladimir

Comment

hi anyone with schematics for amazon fire 10 T76N2B. will be much appreciative of help.

Comment

Thank you so much

Comment

Thank my friend!!!

Comment

thank you

Comment

Hello,

I have already introduced myself in the appropriate forum section, but since hardly anyone reads that, I don't mind introducing myself again.

I am not a business owner, and I am not a repair professional. I simply want to try my hand at repairing my own smartphone that no longer powers on. I have been learning, practicing, gathering equipment, supplies and information for the past two months. I came to this forum for the boardview files. I might stay for any help and advice I can get.

As I dug my way deeper and deeper into the world of phone repairs, I unintentionally entered the world of microelectronics and the intricate nature of boardviews and schematics. This is what brought me to this site. Would you believe me if I told you that I paid to download the BVR and BVRE files I could have downloaded for free from this site? They are binary identical. If only I knew better. But I don't regret it. I view it all as part of my education plan. You win some, you lose some, and you have to spend some to learn and to make it count.

I have prepared a bit of questionnaire for you guys. Please don't be alarmed and take your time to put your two cents in the knowledge hat. My title says it all: "I'm a: Knowledge Seeker".

1. Who invented the BVR file format?
                      2. Who invented the BVRE file format?
                      3. Are these two formats related?
                      4. What does "BVR" stand for?
                      5. What does "E" in "BVRE" stand for?
                      6. Is BVR3 the same format as BVRE?
                      7. Are any of these formats open file formats and if so, where is the documentation?
                      8. What is the current (as in 2023 New Year's Eve) support status for BVRE in OpenBoardView (version 8.0)?
                      9. Is FlexBV the only program that can read BVRE files without errors?

Thanks for taking your time!

Thanks Waltg for the initiative! All of the files you uploaded are in BVRE format, is that right? What program are you using to open them? They don't open in OpenBoardView 8.0.

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                      FlexBV
                      Is this a FlexBV native file format?

Originally posted by djdblaster View Post
                      I'm opening them with the newest edition of FlexBV. Works!
                      Can you open all of the BVRE files? And what version of FlexBV is that?

It seems that FlexBV R1115 ("R" as in release?) added support for BVRE files. So I guess they are not native to FlexBV then. But how come FlexBV can read them while other viewers can't? What does FlexBV have that other viewers don't?
                      Last edited by piernov; 12-31-2022, 09:18 AM.

Comment

BVR (Boardview Raw) was actually originally spawned when a dump from the Microsoft Access DB "BV" format was being used for some boards, hence BVR = BV 'Raw'.

After BVR for the BV, the initiative was taken to make BVR2 and subsequently BVR3 so that some less frequently encountered boardview formats could be exported in to a more open/verbose format.

BVR3 is supported in the latest OpenBoardview.

BVRe is an encrypted version though anything that was in BVRe should be available as BVR these days.

OpenBoardview cannot utilise all the information that BVR3 stores but it can still read everything it requires ( things like pad outlines, part outlines and some other attributes ).

No documentation currently available though a text editor opening up a BVR3 does tend to walk you through it.

It's an verbose and data-reduntant format, intentionally so.
                        YouTube Repair Videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/19PLD73
                        FlexBV BoardView software - Linux/OSX/Windows - http://pldaniels.com/flexbv

Comment

Latest OpenBoardView release is 9.0.3. Pre-release is 9.90.0.
                          https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView/releases

Comment

Originally posted by inflex View Post
                            These BVR files will work with Openboardview. They contain less information but still should help out a lot of people I hope.

Perhaps later Openboardview can support BGA pad names rather than just numbers, but it's a start.

Galaxy_S7.bvr iP6P.bvr iP7P_Qualcomm.bvr iPad_Mini.bvr
                            iP5.bvr iP6P_bvr.sqlite3 iP8P_Intel.bvr iPSE_820_00282.bvr
                            iP5C.bvr iP6S.bvr iP8_qualcomm.bvr iPSE.bvr
                            iP5S.bvr iP6SP.bvr iPad2.bvr
                            iP5S_WCDMA.bvr iP7.bvr iPad4.bvr
                            iP6.bvr iP7P_intel.bvr iPad_Air.bvr
                            I saw your announcement on Twitter and YouTube about added BVRE support to FlexBV. How are you able to open or decode these files if I may ask? I understand if it's a secret recipe. I was hoping you're using some open source component to pull that off. Either way, nicely done my friend!

Too bad I can't read those BVRE files with OpenBoardView, and I can't afford to pay for FlexBV for what is essentially a one man and one phone operation. I only need the boardview for Galaxy S7. I don't run a repair business, otherwise I would have purchased a license for your software, assuming I can source the needed boardview files on my own.

So you basically used FlexBV to convert the BVRE files to BVR files?

I can read BVR files in OpenBoardView. Including the "empty" iP7P_intel.bvr. It only shows an outline of the board and some odd looking transistors scattered around in two areas. I have checked all the BVR files in version 8.0.

Strangely, the iP8_qualcomm.bvr crashes the program, so that one can't open at all.

The iPad_Air.bvr has some odd looking outline and missing or misplaced filler lines for texture at certain places, and a set of resistors and capacitors (R1096, C1096, R1097, C1097) hanging out outside the board.

The iPad2.bvr looks really bad. The outline is a triangle and a trapezoid. The T1378 for example takes up half the board.

With iPad4.bvr we have overlapping components like J7500 and R8296 which is huge, again, taking up half the board. The outline is missing on one end.

The iPSE.bvr and the iPSE_820_00282.bvr are binary identical. I did not look for visual differences. Both will open and look correct to me and my untrained eyes.

I am documenting these things for others to observe and be aware of. I do wonder though if these issues exist in the BVRE versions of these files? I don't have FlexBV so I can't check. These issues may have existed in the original files and were not introduced by conversion. That, I do not know.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to boardviews and everything to do with electronics repairs, but I can tell that boardviews is a big PITA for everyone involved in repairs. Not only is lack of access a problem, it's also things like these, with incompatible and inconsistent file formats. I wish there was a common standard for boardview files that all technicians could use, be it BVR or BRD and what have you. Something like PDF, but for boardviews. Portable, cross-compatible, and open standard (since a few years back).

Previously most boards only required schematics to assist with repairs, the parts were labelled on the PCB silkscreen and the board was the literal boardview. Over time with increasing part densities silk screening became impractical and now frequently non-existent on devices such as Macbook and iPhone boards.
                            https://pldaniels.com/flexbv/
                            I didn't know this. I think this makes access to boardviews a big deal! Bigger than I originally thought. So not only do you not have the schematics, now you also don't have labels of the components on the actual board. So next thing you know, they will turn everything into a single chip and there would be nothing to label and nothing to repair. Kind of an extreme version of where this is going with all the miniaturization and high integration.

If it were up to me, I would pass a law that would make free access to boardviews mandatory, at a bare minimum. Accessible to everyone, or at very least repair professionals. Let me know if I'm wrong, but I think this is needed if we want a sustainable future where people can repair their tech gadgets rather than toss them out and keep on buying new, adding more to the e-waste basket.

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
                              Latest OpenBoardView release is 9.0.3. Pre-release is 9.90.0.
                              https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView/releases
                              I didn't know that. I was going by what's on the official website. So GitHub is the new homepage for the project? I guess I still won't be able to open BVRE files if "E" stand for "encrypted", but I will get the latest version nonetheless. Thank you!

Comment

So "BVRE" files have "BVR3E001" in the header and "BVR" files have "BVRAW_FORMAT_1"?

Name: BVRE
                                Extension: .bvre
                                Magic: 42 56 52 33 45 30 30 31
                                Magic ASCII: BVR3E001

Name: BVR
                                Extension: .bvr
                                Magic: 42 56 52 41 57 5F 46 4F 52 4D 41 54 5F 31
                                Magic ASCII: BVRAW_FORMAT_1

What is BVR2 header info? I'm just curious and I want to add it here for comparison and for posterity. I find this all very interesting, I'm more into this sort of stuff than electronics, to be honest. Thanks everyone for contributing to collective knowledge!

Comment

Originally posted by R7027 View Post
                                  How are you able to open or decode these files if I may ask? I understand if it's a secret recipe. I was hoping you're using some open source component to pull that off. Either way, nicely done my friend!
                                  BVR3 (and by extension BVRE) were formats specifically designed for FlexBV. Unlike OpenBoardView, FlexBV is not open source, so you can assume the format is not open.

I can read BVR files in OpenBoardView. Including the "empty" iP7P_intel.bvr. It only shows an outline of the board and some odd looking transistors scattered around in two areas. I have checked all the BVR files in version 8.0.
                                  As you can see, and as hinted by the size, the file itself is almost empty.
                                  Strangely, the iP8_qualcomm.bvr crashes the program, so that one can't open at all.
                                  File is almost empty too. Shouldn't crash though, so I'll try to take a look at that.

Sadly, these standalone files for phones, as well as the original .pcb PADS files, were never of the highest quality. Tools such as ZXW often provide more accurate data and much more information. They are garbage cloud and subscription-based software, but that's how it is. Phoneboard has some stuff as well though, dunno how good (or bad) it is.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to boardviews and everything to do with electronics repairs, but I can tell that boardviews is a big PITA for everyone involved in repairs. Not only is lack of access a problem, it's also things like these, with incompatible and inconsistent file formats. I wish there was a common standard for boardview files that all technicians could use, be it BVR or BRD and what have you. Something like PDF, but for boardviews. Portable, cross-compatible, and open standard (since a few years back).
                                  These files are generally leaked from manufacturer's assembly or testing lines. Before OpenBoardView existed, you had to deal with 2 decades old broken and almost unusable software, one for each of the different file format. Which is often different between board manufacturers, and the same manufacturer even often has more than one format because they don't always use the same design, assembly and testing tools.
                                  Manufacturers do not want these files to be released in the wild, and there is no point for them to have interoperability. Having a standard there is the least of their worry. And ours as well, we want the data first.
                                  Some other aspects of board designs do have standards, such as the Gerber format for the PCB drawings, but that doesn't provide the same information as a boardview (although having Gerber files can be useful as well).

If it were up to me, I would pass a law that would make free access to boardviews mandatory, at a bare minimum. Accessible to everyone, or at very least repair professionals. Let me know if I'm wrong, but I think this is needed if we want a sustainable future where people can repair their tech gadgets rather than toss them out and keep on buying new, adding more to the e-waste basket.
                                  You can't even buy replacement parts which may have become an even bigger problem. Schematics aren't supposed to be available either, some of them leaked thankfully. No access to any other documentation most of the times (power sequencing for example), no access to the diagnosis, testing and debugging tools. Even less access to information about firmware, and every device has one or many pieces of firmware handling most of its functions nowadays.
                                  It's the manufacturer's intellectual property and they consider it trade secret, no reason for them to provide any of this.
                                  That's how it is, why do you think this job is difficult and some people try to fight for "right to repair"?

So GitHub is the new homepage for the project?
                                  https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView/ has always been the official repository for OpenBoardView.
                                  I guess I still won't be able to open BVRE files if "E" stand for "encrypted", but I will get the latest version nonetheless. Thank you!
                                  No. BVRE is basically BVR3 format but encrypted. Since the encryption key is not known, OpenBoardView won't be able to open BVRE files directly.
                                  However, I published some of the decrypted files in BVR3 format here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=158 . It is possible to get the rest of them but it is a bit tedious.

As a side note, FZ format from Asus is also an encrypted format for example, but pafmaf reverse engineered the official viewer and extracted the key.
                                  The similar CAE format from Asrock isn't supported since the encryption key hasn't been extracted.

Comment

Thank you much

Comment

Thank you all very much!

Comment

Thanks for you work!

Comment

Thanks so much