Samsung LE40M86BDX Clicking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung LE40M86BDX Clicking

My Panasonic caps arrived, I'll fit them tomorrow and hope it comes on, if not, any ideas what else it could be? So I can explore other options whilst I have it open.

Comment

The new caps didn't fix the issue, it's still clicking away

Comment

Have you tried to see if it powers on by
        keeping the power button pressed down ( the one on the tv)

seems like it could be faulty mainboard ..
        that too will make it click away ..

Comment

sorry forgot to add did you replace the eeprom ?
          if thats bricked will not boot either some times.
          Or you can try to short it and see

Comment

I had a samsung with a bad T-Con produce the same fault. Unplug the LVDS cable and see if it will power on.

Comment

Yeah changed the eeprom, held the power button in and tried with lvds cable out, still clicking. Quite frustrating

Comment

So I left it clicking and after 20 mins it came on

Comment

But when it was on dtv was unavailable and the hdmi ports were also unavailable very strange

Comment

Sounds like the all-too-common BGA failure on these boards (fault is similar to Xbox 360/PS3 lights-of-death, cracked solder under BGA device)
                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

So a reball would be the solution? Do they make stencils for them? Or would i be looking at a basic reflow

Comment

Reball is the only proper permanent solution - I don't know about the stencils myself. Some people have swapped the whole IC.

Also on some of these sets with an "FRC" board, there is an issue with a bad cap around the CPU, worth checking, 1uF SMD electrolytic.
                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Is there a part number for the bga chip / ic ?
                          Last edited by zomi; 12-15-2014, 01:01 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

As long as you get the right pad pitch\size, I think a generic stencil will work if you can't find a specific one.
                            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

I'll look into it a bit more and see where I end up, cheers guys

Comment

there's a troublesome cap under the tin on the signals pcb that causes this problem.
                                off the top of my head,it's c1110,smd, 1000uf 10v...a quick warm up of the tin should bring the set on,if this is the case.you can see the edge of the cap through the holes on the screening can...
                                Steve.

Comment

steviewonder:
                                  I registered, just to thank you!
                                  That was exactly the Problem with my set. Would have never gone that far to desolder that pain-in-the-arse tin shield, to get to the Cap, if you would not have provided this information. Another TV saved from the yunk-yard.
                                  Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by steviewonder View Post
                                    there's a troublesome cap under the tin on the signals pcb that causes this problem...
                                    I too registered just to thank you.

TLDR: Thanks to your piece of advice my TV was fixed. Another TV saved from the junkyard.

The TV's model is LE40M86BD. Sometimes when I powered it on the display lit up and showed an image only to disappear a few seconds later as the screen turned off. Then the clicking started and continued for 30-60min after which the TV started for good and worked perfectly. During this time, the image on-off behavior repeated occasionally. The first attempt was to replace all the capacitors on the power board but the TV still wasn't fixed. Then I found your post and decided to get all the capacitors under the tin shield replaced as well. Result: Success! The TV is happy again.

Comment

Working...
                                    X