Bad caps in Mitsubishi TV's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bad caps in Mitsubishi TV's?

Not a pro at TV repair, but i have successfully used Panasonic FM in a few sets.
    The first time i got the ok from some pros in this forum, as i was unsure too, if a too low impedance cap would be ok to an old TV crt set.

From my experience, the low impedance caps smoothened the buzzing in this sets significantly.
    So i think it was a good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Logistics
      Thanks again! I would have replied earlier, but I've been fighting off some ridiculous virus. One of those deals where you do a fresh install and then copy your files back over and set everything up; uh oh, the virus is back! It had attached itself to several of the exe's in my saved files. Unbeknownst to me, I was running infected exe's. At least KasperSky let me know which files were infected, and I just deleted them this time. *sigh* (goodbye Cadsoft Eagle)

So, I hear Mitsubishi's have pretty weak power supplies, generally. Should I go ahead and replace the main caps? And if so, do they need some sort of specific type or can I just do the low impedance, high ripple jobber on them? Anything else I can do to help my old Mitz out? It's a CS-2724R
      Read my reply above........This tv is full of old leaking capacitors,prepare to replace most of the caps,you will see the electrolyte leaking from the caps,look at the bottom of each of them,if it looks wet or the lead wires are corroded replace the cap.You will want to replace any nichicon capacitors dated before 1995,the date code on these is as shown;the first two digits are the year and the last two digits are the week,so 9425 would be 25th week of 1994.I may have the schematic for this set in PDF format.No you shouldnt need to replace the power supply caps in this set with special caps,since the orignals in the power supply are general purpose,just make sure the voltage is equal to or greater than the one you are replacing.I usually avioded these sets in my shop due to the labor involved in replacing 50 or more capacitors but these sets do have GREAT pictures once the bad lytics are replaced.I have a cs-2715r that a customer did not want repaired due to it needing 70 capactiors replaced,I ended up replacing them when I had the time the picture looks much better than the walmart crap they are selling today because these are well designed sets.No these sets dont really have weak power supplies,the power supplies fault lies in the capactiors that fail after 10-12 years,most of the power supply failures I have seen have resulted from lightning or as a result of the capacitors.But yes if your tv's picture tube isn't weak then yes it is worth recapping if you really like the set.If you need any help with fixing your set feel free to contact me

Comment

Thank you very much for the support. I don't mind replacing that many caps. My cousin is also giving me his 27" Wega so I have something to use in the meantime. I still want to fix my old one, no matter what, because the picture IS beautiful.

So there is no benefit to moving from general purpose to high ripple on the main power caps? Is there a detriment to doing so?
        Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

No there is no detriment the low ESR caps just cost a bit more. I always upgrade them if I have enough on hand.

If not and the original caps are general purpose and don't really need the LOW ESR I replace them with NCC KMEs a good general purpose cap which I have alot of which I order from newark.com.

As a matter of fact I just got done replacing capacitors in my Infocus X3s power supply.

They actually used GENERAL PURPOSE 85 C Su Scons in the power supply secondary section . Sure great move Infocus we all know the inside of the projector is a sauna so lets put cheap crap caps in there but wait theres more! Lets put 85 C cheap crap caps in there .

Infocus had to recall projectors manufacured around 01 because of bad caps in the power supply I guess they haven't learned their lesson yet.

As for the for the high voltage line filter cap you won't be able to find it in low ESR however if you want to upgrade it. I use the following Panasonic series caps with success TS-HA, TS-HB, TS-HC, or TS-ED all available from Digikey. I use them interchangably mainly because different series' have different case sizes. And I know from experience when working in LCD inverters where caps are bent over space is at a premium.

But since your working on a TV you don't have to be as concerned.

I use my digital caliper to measure three things lead spacing, width, and height and look at the datasheets to see which series has one that will fit.

In your case just make sure that you measure the lead spacing thats the distance from the center of one of the caps leads to the other. Panasonic only displays the sizes in MM so just set your digital caliper to MM.

As for all the other caps not the line filters you'll be fine also be sure to upgrade all the caps in question to 105C since I'm sure you'll find a ton of 85Cs in there.
          Last edited by Krankshaft; 12-05-2007, 04:59 PM.
          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

my mitsubishi wd 52525 has sound but no picture can anyone tell me what might be wrong with it

Comment

Originally posted by rednecktv View Post
              my mitsubishi wd 52525 has sound but no picture can anyone tell me what might be wrong with it
              Failed light engine? dead lamp?

Do the indicator lamps on the front show any error pattern?

Service manual is here.

IIRC, this set is known for bad caps on the DM module, but I don't think you are seeing the typical symptoms.

PlainBill
              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Well, a little research indicates the smt caps on the FMT board could be the culprit.

PlainBill
                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

thanks i will try that

Comment

Originally posted by rednecktv View Post
                    i have a mitsubishi wd73733 has no sound no picture is bad caps

Comment

Working...
                    X