Badcaps Forums

Badcaps Forums (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting Computer Displays (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Inverter tester using old CFL (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19987)

budm 04-09-2012 12:51 AM

Inverter tester using old CFL

10 Attachment(s)
Do not throw away those broken CFL (14Watts or smaller), you can use them for testing your LCD monitor inverter circuits without buying spare lamps for testing.
You can solder the wires directly to the connectors on the inverter board or you can get the correct connectors but then you have to have more than one type.
I tested it out on my lamp tester board as you can see in the pictures.
I open up the lamp assembly using small hack saw just enough for me to crack it open, just be real careful.
Enjoy!

retiredcaps 04-09-2012 01:05 AM

Re: Inverter tester using old CFL

Cool, I will provide this link in rev 0.4 of the 2 seconds to black guide sometime in the future.

budm 04-09-2012 01:08 AM

How do you remember where the REV0.4 is? Is there a place in this forum that how to are kept?

retiredcaps 04-09-2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budm (Post 230270)
How do you remember where the REV0.4 is? Is there a place in this forum that how to are kept?

There is no formal tracking or process controls on this site as far as I know. I just keep my own thread and keep adding to the end of it and keep my own version control.

A bit unsophisticated, but is works okay.

Jasgriff 04-09-2012 03:04 AM

Looks good definitely a good idea for someone wanting to do a one off monitor repair. If you could even take out the lamps inverter board then solder the lamp directly to the bottom of the bulb fitting and glue the base back on. That way you could mount a bulb holder to you inverter tester board.

Retiredcaps any chance you could link to your 2 seconds to black in you signature then it will be easier to point people in the right direction :)

momaka 04-09-2012 09:08 PM

Nice experiment. I too was thinknig about trying the same thing but that experiment always got delayed or left for other projects.
Definitely good to know, though. I guess this will go on my "to-build" list now. Last month, we had a CFL light die in the house and I took it appart. Bad solder joints on the driving transistors (13003's) killed one of them. The CLF bulb probably still works, though. So looks like I have all of the parts needed :) .

ashraf osman 04-10-2012 12:59 PM

Best regards

A nice experience.

budm 07-15-2012 07:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Update with T5 4Watts lamp

momaka 07-15-2012 08:57 PM

It's the hot Chilli Powder that makes everything work :group:
Cool stuff :cool:

dcooke570 07-17-2012 04:47 PM

OK. I have 13w and 23w CFLs but no 14w.
Does the wattage matter if all I'm using is the top half?

budm 07-17-2012 05:01 PM

That will be too big (the 23W), 14w or smaller as shown will work. I did not try with other 13/14W with big body (such as used for under counter lights) yet to see if it will light up. Your 13W CFL twisted bulb should work.

rogfanther 08-21-2012 12:50 PM

Would the inverse also work ? Like, using a bulb inverter circuit to test the lcd lamps ?

budm 08-21-2012 12:56 PM

The inverter for the HOME CFL is made for driving CFL with starting filaments, it does not use the high voltage (1500~2000V) for starting the Ionnization like CCFL does, CCFL does not have filament.

rogfanther 08-22-2012 07:45 AM

Oh, ok. Thanks.

jlk69 12-20-2012 12:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Would this bulb work?

budm 12-20-2012 01:04 AM

Way too big even though it is the same wattage. I tried many shape and size and so far the curly one with 10~14W seems to work well.

jlk69 12-20-2012 01:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Wow, thanks for the quick reply. Looks like I will have to sacrifice a new bulb in the name of science. From the pictures I surmise that you don't need hook up to screen to test. Do you have to have a signal coming from the computer? Looks like that was not connected as well. Also, do all of the leads have to be hooked up to bulbs (mine has 4 leads for 4 bulbs?)?

budm 12-20-2012 01:57 AM

I force the bl_on line on mt tester board, you will have to have your monitor connected to the running PC but you do not need to have the screen T-CON connected.
You have to have 4 working lamps, if one failed or not connected, the inverter will go onto shutdown mode.

jlk69 12-20-2012 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budm (Post 294210)
I force the bl_on line on mt tester board, you will have to have your monitor connected to the running PC but you do not need to have the screen T-CON connected.
You have to have 4 working lamps, if one failed or not connected, the inverter will go onto shutdown mode.

I was afraid of that. So I might need to make as many as 4 test bulbs? Or I could try hooking 3 up to LCD with 1 test bulb and hope only 1 CCFL is bad in my monitor and keep trying until lamps stay lit.

Measuray 02-20-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budm (Post 230268)
Do not throw away those broken CFL (14Watts or smaller), you can use them for testing your LCD monitor inverter circuits without buying spare lamps for testing.
You can solder the wires directly to the connectors on the inverter board or you can get the correct connectors but then you have to have more than one type.
I tested it out on my lamp tester board as you can see in the pictures.
I open up the lamp assembly using small hack saw just enough for me to crack it open, just be real careful.
Enjoy!

Would a device like this workout more better?

http://www.lcd-pdparts.com/ViewDetai...ProductID=1813

CCFL & LCD TV Monitor Backlight Tester
VIP Price:$16.30