Serial networking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serial networking.

I have a serial (RS-232) to ethernet adaptor looking thing that my uncle gave me earlier this year.
    I needed this device because my Texas Instruments TM6030 laptop has a busted PCMCIA slot after my friends decided to abuse and drop the laptop. How do I set up this adaptor device so that I access my network?? The laptop currently has Windows NT workstation 4.0 installed.

Thanks.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Serial networking.

It's probably a AUI connector

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_Unit_Interface

Yea, there are AUI > RJ45 adapters, I've used one on an old PS/2 8mhz system
    There is no setup needed for the software, the change should by purley in hardware...
    I.e. just install whatever NIC drivers the card uses and enable DHCP and it should kick into life...
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

oops....I was thinking 9 pin serial. We have them at work, but its Token Ring.
      "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
      AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

Just reread your post stevo1210,
        Sorry, you are out of luck, the adapter you have is most likely an AUI adapter as I said

They where used "back then" because it was easier to not integrate the AUI on the NIC itself, for speed, cost, and space reasons

That is you had a NIC but it lacked the physical interface for communicating over the network... All this is nowdays integrated in the NIC's IC's so these days it's just a logical thing in the ISO model, not something you can see on the NIC cards...

However the funny thing is that it infact is making a comback in 10GBPS networks, but this time mostly for interoperability reasons and also speed reasons...

In other words, no, if it is an AUI connector it will do no good connected to your laptops serial port...
        You could buy a nullmodem cable tho, that will let you "network" two PC's via their serial ports...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I have quite a few 9 pin to RJ45 adapters. If it is one of these Stevo, you still can't just connect to your network like with ethernet, but there are options. Are you running all Windows in your house?

Comment

Originally posted by Spacedye69
            I have quite a few 9 pin to RJ45 adapters. If it is one of these Stevo, you still can't just connect to your network like with ethernet, but there are options. Are you running all Windows in your house?
            Yes, that's the one. There's no drivers for it, nothing. And yes I am running Windows for the whole infrastructure at my place.
            Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

The adapter just converts 9 pin to an RJ45 connector because it is easier to run Cat3/5 cable than big ass molded serial cable. You are still looking at some type of peer to peer, like Lap Link, style networking networking. Most of those adapters are used to hook up serial terminal connections. With the adapter, you are still looking at a null modem cable, just with ethernet cable in between.

NT has a lap link type file sharing, but I believe it is only for paralell port.

Google SLIP(Serial Line Interface Protocol).

Comment

Working...
              X