Checking NVRam..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking NVRam..

I have my friends pc here. It will not boot. It has an MSI KT4V motherboard and hangs while posting with the message checking NVRam.. It used to start after a couple of retries. Now it will not get past this. I have tried swapping memory with a known good stick and cleared the CMOS and replaced the battery with a fresh one. I even replaced the bios chip from my old KT4V and it still hangs. All the caps look good and they are United Chemicon. Any Ideas?

Re: Checking NVRam..

Check the IDE devices.... a bad IDE cable or device can cause this.

Comment

Its not an IDE device. When I tested a different power supply I plugged in only the motherboard and video card. I did not apply power to an optical or hard drive. There couldn't be a problem with an IDE device if the data cable was connected and not the power could there?

Comment

Yes. Unplug the cable also. When the bios fires up and its not getting the signal its looking for from the cable, or there is a short, it will hang.

Comment

*&*%^$&#)_&*^_#$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got the new motherboard and read your post. I unplugged all the IDE devices and it posted! I was lazy and didn't feel like breaking down the whole system so I just assumed it was the board. The NVRAM thing is misleading. I guess sometimes you have to learn the hard way. Oh well. I am a donkey and I guess I have a new motherboard. My friend will be happy though. Thanks for the information. I think it is his cd drive that pooped out. Oh Well.

Comment

I spoke too soon. It posted once. I went into the bios and configured everything and now its back to its old checking NVRAM thing with no ide devices plugged in.

Comment

If you are going to swap the motherboard anyway, take it out of the case and put it on the bench, with a different power supply, and no cards or devices other than the keyboard (and video card if it does not have onboard video). Try it that way and see if it boots.

Comment

Pop into the BIOS and see if there is an option called something like "Reset Configuration Data", generally in the PCI/PNP config section. Every time I've had that problem of systems locking up at the checking NVram stage I've found enabling the Reset Configuration Data option cured it.

Its an option that automatically gets set back to Disabled on a successful boot.

Comment

Working...
                X