The 2014~2015 Operating System Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 2014~2015 Operating System Thread

Now that XP has been EoL for quite some time by MS, and MS has announced their less than stellar plan for skipping windows9 and instead moving to windows10, lets see what you're running, and if you've changed anything since the last poll on this subject.

I had to select 'other', as I run Server 2008 Standard carved into a really nice workstation OS.
    Windows 8/8.1, I'm a glutton for punishment
    0%
    Windows 7
    0%
    Windows Vista
    0%
    Windows XP (32 or 64), I'm holding on!!
    0%
    Windows 2000
    0%
    Windows 9x/ME, yea, I really am!!
    0%
    Mac OSX
    0%
    Some flavor of Linux
    0%
    Other - Explain
    0%
    What's a PC?! I use my IOS or Android Phone/tablet for everything now.
    0%
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: The 2014~2015 Operating System Thread

desktops: win7
    Laptops: arch linux (gnome 3.x) dual booted with win7
    server: headless debian
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Desktop: Debian sid with LXDE
      Headless server: Debian wheezy, no GUI
      Sister's computer: Linux Mint 17, MATE edition
      Mom's laptop: Ubuntu 14.04, with Unity (blech)

All of them are 64-bit. Also notice the lack of Windows anywhere.

Comment

Windows 8.1 Pro on my Asus laptop, Windows 8.1 on my Dell laptop, and Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate on all my desktops.

Comment

I switched to Lubuntu 14.04 this year on this PC. I like it ok. I tried several flavors of Linux focusing on lightweight, legacy hardware and ease of use. I'm not a Linux expert by any means but no stranger to it either so it wasn't a huge deal for me. I just got tired of the Windows stuff and LInux works for me.

I have an old iMac G4 running OSX but we don't use it. I wouldn't mind playing with it but don't have the room or enough ethernet ports for it and it won't do wireless. Besides that I said "fsck it" and I turned the radio off on my router after my kid got an iPhone.

Comment

As System Integrator always Debian Linux x64 from its beginnings.
            On SPARC RISC, on Intel x86 and on several Apple's architectures too, server, desktop&laptop.

Currently typing here from an IBM T61p laptop running KDE&Wheezy, Linux Kernel 3.5.

Comment

I gave my vote to mac as iam on my 08 MBP however if there was a all of the above except windows 8 that would fit me best.
              My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

xp on my obd2/winaldl/cummins insite/johnson controls,ect programming laptop.
                dos 6.22 on my 2 way radio programmer laptop.
                7 on several work macines.
                linux mint on several others.
                98se on the device programmer system.oddly its the only os its reliable under!
                android on my asus transformer.
                and on my old reliable droid 2 global.

Comment

I use 7 on all of my main machines here. I still have XP on my Thinkpad T60, but it doesn't get used much anymore, and my Tablet and phone are both 'droid.
                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

win7 throughout the home and family

Comment

Opensuse Factory on my desktop and laptop, Solaris, ghostBSD, Debian on my SPARC, windows 10 (for about the next week.), win95 on my 386, 'driod 4.x.x on my phones, DDWRT on my routers, opensuse on my radio broadcast server.
                      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I'm still using the same operating systems that I did when the last thread was made, but I got my old laptop running to mess with Linux.
                        Main laptop: Windows 7
                        Secondary laptop: Windows 98SE
                        Desktop: Windows 98 (first edition)
                        Junk HP laptop: 98SE and Linux

If the old HP laptop had a working optical drive, it would be running Windows XP instead of 98. It runs a lot better with XP.

Comment

It's the same for me too.
                          XP x64 / Win7 dual boot on my main system
                          Win7 on my work laptop, also installed Win10 for testing on a separate SSD on it
                          XP 32bit on an old Thinkpad T40 laptop, I use among others things for connecting to my car.
                          Centos v6.5 on my testserver, also has copies of XP 32bit, Win8 & Win8.1 on that.
                          Yea, so need an "all of the above" button here too, I choose Win7 because it's the OS I like the most, but I do see some potential in Win10 already...
                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Lately I've been using a combo of Windows 7 and DOS 6.22.

As weird as it sounds some things like the RS232 20x2 VFD and the RS232 Stenograph keyboard work a bit better on the 486 luggable I have here with onboard serial. Both have official DOS support anyways.

Comment

My main PC runs Windows 7 (also have Windows 8 dualboot, but I rarely use it)
                              Windows 2003 on my home server (an old Pentium 3 PC).
                              Headless Ubuntu 14.04 on my torrent seedbox/file hosting server.

Comment

Main PC is 8.1 and has been since launch - wife's PC is the same.

I have a work laptop that has to run XP due to legacy software not working with anything newer (we tried XP mode on 7 and it failed to work).

Personal laptop runs 7, server-wise I have one with 2003 (Dell Poweredge 2600) and one with 2008R2 (home built Phenom-based box where all my ex-desktop bits go), a third one runs 2008 (Proliant DL380G4) and I'm in the process of deciding which one to decomission - most likely the Dell as it's the oldest and doesn't support 64-bit.

Comment

Windows XP because I still use WinFax Pro 10 which doesn't work on anything newer. Win7, Win8.1, FreeBSD, Debian, OSX on others.

Comment

People have Win9X but no 2000???

Windows 2000 was my favorite Windows operating system.

I am currently running Windows 8.1 on my main PC.
                                    canadaboy25

-Sometimes the light at the end of a tunnel is an on-coming train

Comment

Probably a bit late to chime in this thread... so sorry for the revival, but here it goes:

I still have XP on my own computers (same as last year's thread). That would be my school desktop, torrent/file server, laptop, home desktops (3 of them), and about a dozen of other very old desktops and laptops I use for testing and playing around with.

However, I should note that I am slowly beginning to move up (mostly due to influx of newer hardware and forced planned obsolescence by software). Yes, you heard that right, I am updating . I now have one machine running Windows 7. It's a newish (for me anyways) Gateway GT5656 desktop I found in a dumpster last month. Wanted to test a freshly-burned Windows 7 DVD, so that's why. Otherwise, it would have been XP.
                                      Be assured, though, that once booted and logged in, it looks and handles almost nothing like Windows 7 and almost everything like my XP installs with Windows classic theme. I checked and explored every since option there was to get it to that level. The only thing that still bugs me hard is the Windows Audio Mixer - what a piece of turd! I'll save you all the rants unless someone really wants to hear them.
                                      Also, as far as other computers in the house...
                                      My dad managed to get a nasty version of the conficker.C virus (or at least that's what I think it is) on my family's PC. That PC originally had Windows XP Home. After numerous failed attempts to clean it up with various anti-malware and anti-virus software (all failed to find anything), I took one last attempt at fixing it manually. I succeeded to disrupt the virus's boot up process, so it no longer started when the PC did, but that broke some other start-up processes too for some reason. I felt that wasn't good enough to leave, so I took out the HDD and stuck a spare 20 GB HDD. Why that small HDD - because it had a clean install of Windows 7 on it and I had to do literally nothing (other than manually installing/forcing some XP drivers on 7, due to the age of the hardware of the PC - 2.8 GHz P4 Prescott, 1 GB of RAM, Intel 865 graphics).

So that's 2 PCs in the house with Windows 7, among many with XP.
                                      I think the pole should have had multiple votes allowed. That way, I think we would have gotten a "fuller" picture of who's running what. If that was so, I would have also cast a vote for 7. But since XP is still on most of my machines, I went with XP.
                                      Last edited by momaka; 10-25-2014, 06:58 PM.

Comment

^
                                        thanks for the bump...... that way more will participate!
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                        http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                        Team : 49813
                                        Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                        X