Are Su'scon caps still bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Su'scon caps still bad?

I am starting to see su'scon caps used in high end power supplies on the secondary side. though they are known to be bad, are they still bad now as quite a few reputatable manufacturers such as enhance are using them together with teapo caps?

Re: Are Su'scon caps still bad?

IMO they are slightly worse than Teapo. I see them in lots of power supplies these days though.

Teapo can actually be pretty good when kept cool. I saw a ~15 year old Teapo last friday on a jukebox power supply, still good after years of 24/7 use OST are close to Teapo also.

Seems there are a lot of higher end power supplies using middle of the road caps. PC power and Cooling uses Teapo, Sparkle uses Teapo, Jamicon and sometimes Fuhjyyu, Enermax uses Su'scon and some others.

I was very surprised to find Fuhjyyu caps in my old Vantec Stealth power supply, still good after 5 years of daily use. I guess cooling makes big difference, along with the amount of pre-cap filtering (inductors).
    Last edited by Maxxarcade; 06-03-2007, 06:15 PM.

Comment

thanks maxxarcade for your reply.

does that mean if the PSU is equipped with a high-speed thermal controlled 120mm fan, the caps with last?

i need to confirm cos i just realised that my new silverstone 750W PSU has teapos and su'scons in it.

Comment

I left all the cheap caps in the Sparkle power supplies that are in my servers (24x7 duty), but I check them at least every 6 months. I was actually considering bypassing the speed control on the 120mm fan so they would run cooler, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

For a 750W PSU, they probably have good filtering in place, and you would have to work pretty hard to strain it. My Vantec was 520W, and even with 6 drives, Athlon 64, and Geforce 6200, it lasted 5 years, and is still being used in my PC at work. Though it does have 3 good 80mm fans

Comment

thanks for your reply. looks like i don't have to worry about my new enhance-built PSU. cos this PSU is very heavy at 3kg....
          Last edited by leekh; 06-03-2007, 09:43 PM.

Comment

The answer is no, you cannot just assume if the PSU weighs a lot or has a 120mm fan that will automagically make a questionable quality cap acceptible. However, it depends on the placement in the circuit and specific cap (size, specs, and model/family not just brand), and the load on that (rail?), how long the cap will hold up. The odds are in your favor if you have bought an excessive PSU (at 750W) and aren't running it anywhere near that output level. We don't have this info for your Enhance so due to lack of info it's probably an early failure point, but whether you find the lifespan acceptible is another matter, it might run years.

I doubt you really want to bypass the fan controller entirely, as it may run quite fast/loud. Consider modifying it to run a little faster instead.

Comment

my previous antec psu died on me after about 2 years of usage due to leaking fuhjyuu caps. if su'scon caps is really of questionable quality, will it still affect the lifespan of my new silverstone psu? to me, i want reliability and durability. fuhjyuu vs. su'scon, which can hold up better in psu environment?

Comment

Working...
              X