Chieftec Dragon LGA1366 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chieftec Dragon LGA1366 Build

I recently got ahold of a bright green Chieftec/Chenming "Dragon" case (I've always liked these cases, especially in "oddball" colors) and decoded to throw together a period correct-ish build.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0779.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.96 MB ID:	3224020

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0780.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.55 MB ID:	3224011

Components:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R:
    CPU: Intel Xeon W3680
    RAM: 24GB DDR3-1333
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0785.jpg Views:	5 Size:	2.12 MB ID:	3224012

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 (I know a GTX1060 is a bit too new, I was going to use a GTX780, but it was too long to fit with the lower HDD cage installed, and the GTX1060 provides similar performance)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0817.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	3224017

SSD/HDD: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo SATA SSD (OS Drive), 1TB Western Digital Gold 7200 RPM HDD
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0787.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.33 MB ID:	3224013

Optical Drives: LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray-RW/ HDDVD-ROM combo drive, LG GH24NSC0 DVD-RW
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0786.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.15 MB ID:	3224014

Power Supply: Seasonic M12II Bronze 520W
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0789.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.01 MB ID:	3224015 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0790.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.24 MB ID:	3224016

CPU cooler: Zalman CNPS9900
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0792.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.67 MB ID:	3224018 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0795.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.53 MB ID:	3224019

Completed System:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0797.jpg Views:	5 Size:	1.73 MB ID:	3224021

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0798.jpg Views:	4 Size:	1.73 MB ID:	3224022

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0800.jpg Views:	5 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	3224023

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0802.jpg Views:	5 Size:	1.34 MB ID:	3224025

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0815.jpg Views:	3 Size:	709.8 KB ID:	3224028
    Click image for larger version  Name:	System Dev Mgr.jpg Views:	3 Size:	211.8 KB ID:	3224029
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dmill89; 02-26-2024, 06:50 PM.

Very nice! Where did you find that case in that condition!?? Very rare! Most the ones I find are completely ragged out.

<--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      Very rare! Most the ones I find are completely ragged out.
      Ebay, I got lucky as it had a dead (bad motherboard/PSU) system in it (P4 socket 478) and was listed as a broken desktop PC so it went fairly cheap ($50, and the parts I salvaged out of it were easily worth that, it had an AGP GeForce 6200 512mb, 2 working IDE HDDs, and a good IDE DVD-RW drive), where the cases themselves often go for a few hundred.

It was owned by a smoker though, so it took a good cleaning to get it to that state, but at least the plastics were intact, and it wasn't too banged up (just a few scratches)

Now if I can only get as lucky on a pre-Dell Alienware "predator" case, it and the Cheiftec Dragon were always two of my favorites (but not so much that I'm willing to pay the several hundred dollars they often sell for). I wish I'd bought both 10-15 years ago, back when they were plentiful as E-waste and went for next to nothing.
      Last edited by dmill89; 02-27-2024, 10:50 AM.

Comment

I have a Chieftec case as well though this one uses a different faceplate. Still not sure what model it is though it uses the same sidepanel as yours. Currently empty as I don't yet have anything really worthy of it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240227_203605.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.24 MB ID:	3224621

The black one above is the dual Pentium 3 build I've mentioned in the "best cheap/free scores" thread, and its GPS-450 PSU came from this very case (I have a spare and quite reliable Andyson-built Raidmax RX-700AC for this one. Wanted to use a 350W Chieftec but that one is as dead as a brick unfortunately )
        Last edited by Dan81; 02-27-2024, 01:26 PM.
        Main rig:
        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
        16GB DDR3-1600
        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post

Ebay, I got lucky as it had a dead (bad motherboard/PSU) system in it (P4 socket 478) and was listed as a broken desktop PC so it went fairly cheap ($50, and the parts I salvaged out of it were easily worth that, it had an AGP GeForce 6200 512mb, 2 working IDE HDDs, and a good IDE DVD-RW drive), where the cases themselves often go for a few hundred.

It was owned by a smoker though, so it took a good cleaning to get it to that state, but at least the plastics were intact, and it wasn't too banged up (just a few scratches)

Now if I can only get as lucky on a pre-Dell Alienware "predator" case, it and the Cheiftec Dragon were always two of my favorites (but not so much that I'm willing to pay the several hundred dollars they often sell for). I wish I'd bought both 10-15 years ago, back when they were plentiful as E-waste and went for next to nothing.
          Where did you find a floppy disk drive that works
          Where did you find a USB front multi port like the one you have in this computer

Very nice work on restoring this computer

I have restored several HP Elite 8200 and the 8300 with the original factory restore disc to bring it back to the original factory settings when it was originally released
          I have bought several on EBay for under 50.00 sometimes with CPUs and memory and sometimes with a 500 gig bite hard drive the computer cases in excellent condition most of the time I get the drive hardware still there only a couple of times did I somewhat get burned that the motherboard had issues but the motherboard are still available for a reasonable price

I can put one together for under $100.00 and have a good working computer for that price

The place that I used to work they use this brand and series computers and I saw how reliable they are and they are fairly old and now fairly inexpensive to buy bare bones version

I would like to build a computer with a motherboard that I could find the drive disk but this type of thing is in the past now you have to go on line and sometimes you do not get the right driver that is the reason I have not built any other type of computer machine if I can not find the original factory restore disk I personally do not have time to hunt down the right drivers for the chipset drivers software and everything else that is needed to make the computer stable to use
          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-28-2024, 05:40 AM.
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply
          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%
          1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board
          All of these had CAPs POOF
          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post

Where did you find a floppy disk drive that works
            I had one on hand from many years ago, I don't have a specific source for floppy drives, you can try your luck on eBay and the like though there is a good chance you'll have to open it up to clean the heads and re-lube the worm gear (most of the 3.5" drives (including this one) are ALPS branded and I've had pretty good luck with them working).

Where did you find a USB front multi port like the one you have in this computer
            Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GAKX34E...roduct_details
            *note: these have a really annoying bright-blue power-on LED (the bottom LED, the top one is for access), I always open them up and desolder/remove that (only takes a couple minutes).

I would like to build a computer with a motherboard that I could find the drive disk but this type of thing is in the past now you have to go on line and sometimes you do not get the right driver that is the reason I have not built any other type of computer machine if I can not find the original factory restore disk I personally do not have time to hunt down the right drivers for the chipset drivers software and everything else that is needed to make the computer stable to use
            for this one luckily Gigabyte still has the drivers on their website, so it wasn't an issue, the only other driver I needed was the GPU and of course Nvidia's website had that.

Comment

I had one on hand from many years ago, I don't have a specific source for floppy drives, you can try your luck on eBay and the like though there is a good chance you'll have to open it up to clean the heads and re-lube the worm gear (most of the 3.5" drives (including this one) are ALPS branded and I've had pretty good luck with them working).

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GAKX34E...roduct_details
              *note: these have a really annoying bright-blue power-on LED (the bottom LED, the top one is for access), I always open them up and desolder/remove that (only takes a couple minutes).

for this one luckily Gigabyte still has the drivers on their website, so it wasn't an issue, the only other driver I needed was the GPU and of course Nvidia's website had that.
              Thanks for this information

How ever I was referring to what is marked in red is your picture that you posted
              Thanks for posting the link for that device
              Attached Files
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
              10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
              6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
              1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
              25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
              6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply
              1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%
              1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
              2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board
              All of these had CAPs POOF
              All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

My only light hint would be SLI era-specific cards, looks like the board supports it. I was never a huge fan of it, but it's become a thing of the past....and like SLI voodoo cards, in another decade or so the gear will be hard to come by and rare...right now it's plentiful & cheap. A pair of 580's would be fabulous in that!
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Thanks for this information

How ever I was referring to what is marked in red is your picture that you posted
                  Thanks for posting the link for that device
                  Also Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NVP3BQ5...roduct_details

It is basically just an internal USB 2.0 hub (SATA powered), I mainly got it just to fill the spot (though front USB ports do tend to come in handy, especially since the ones built into the case are recessed and many devices won't fit in them properly) since only one drive blank was a perfect match, the others were close, but a slightly different shade of green (obviously not original to this case), and I figured 3 optical drives was a bit excessive.

If you search "5.25 usb panel" there are a bunch of different variants of similar panels (including ones with USB 3.0, USB-C, etc. if you have a newer board that supports those): https://www.amazon.com/s?k=5.25+usb+...e0kBHH8cw4oYR0
                  Last edited by dmill89; 02-28-2024, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Also Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NVP3BQ5...roduct_details

It is basically just an internal USB 2.0 hub (SATA powered), I mainly got it just to fill the spot (though front USB ports do tend to come in handy, especially since the ones built into the case are recessed and many devices won't fit in them properly) since only one drive blank was a perfect match, the others were close, but a slightly different shade of green (obviously not original to this case), and I figured 3 optical drives was a bit excessive.

If you search "5.25 usb panel" there are a bunch of different variants of similar panels (including ones with USB 3.0, USB-C, etc. if you have a newer board that supports those): https://www.amazon.com/s?k=5.25+usb+...e0kBHH8cw4oYR0
                    Again, nice work! I have the black iron version of this case...one of these days I'll make something with it.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Gonna yank out the case from post #4 here tomorrow and I might just go ahead and finally put the EX58-UD5 I have to some use.
                      Mine runs a standard i7 920 unfortunately, not a Xeon. It did perform pretty good with a XFX 7970 and around 12 GB of RAM though, and I have a spare WD Black doing nothing anyways. (WD1001FALS, Apple pull).

This way I'll likely find out what kind of Chieftec case it is... pretty sure mine isn't a Dragon but I've yet to find any search results that look like mine.
                      Main rig:
                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                      16GB DDR3-1600
                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                        This way I'll likely find out what kind of Chieftec case it is... pretty sure mine isn't a Dragon but I've yet to find any search results that look like mine.
                        It looks like it might be an LBX-03B-B-SL or similar: https://mobilespecs.net/cases/Chieft...B-SL_400W.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chieftec LBX.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	3226986
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here's a 'Systemax' branded Chieftec

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175492093873
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Yeah, dmill89 nailed it. It appears to be a LBX-03B-B-SL, except with clear sidepanel similar to his Dragon, and a 450W PSU (Delta GPS-450AA-101A) instead of 400W.
                            Main rig:
                            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                            16GB DDR3-1600
                            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                            Delux MG760 case

Comment

Well, mine is now done too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240302_195958.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.66 MB ID:	3227303 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240302_200022.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.38 MB ID:	3227304 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240302_195859.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.92 MB ID:	3227305 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240302_195909.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.95 MB ID:	3227306 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240302_200017.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.07 MB ID:	3227307

Specs:

PSU: recapped Raidmax RX-700AC, Andyson OEM
                              MB - Gigabyte P55A-UD3
                              RAM - 12GB DDR3
                              CPU - i7 860
                              GPU - XFX HD7970 2GB GDDR5 w/ VTX3D HSF
                              ODD - Samsung SH-216 DVDRW
                              HDD - Samsung HD321KJ
                              Misc: LSI MegaRAID SAS controller + Pixelview CX23881 TV tuner PCI
                              OS - Windows 10 Enterprise IoT for now, will also add RHEL once I get some SAS action going on it
                              Attached Files
                              Main rig:
                              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                              16GB DDR3-1600
                              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                Well, mine is now done too.

Click image for larger version Name:	20240302_195958.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.66 MB ID:	3227303 Click image for larger version Name:	20240302_200022.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.38 MB ID:	3227304 Click image for larger version Name:	20240302_195859.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.92 MB ID:	3227305 Click image for larger version Name:	20240302_195909.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.95 MB ID:	3227306 Click image for larger version Name:	20240302_200017.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.07 MB ID:	3227307

Specs:

PSU: recapped Raidmax RX-700AC, Andyson OEM
                                MB - Gigabyte P55A-UD3
                                RAM - 12GB DDR3
                                CPU - i7 860
                                GPU - XFX HD7970 2GB GDDR5 w/ VTX3D HSF
                                ODD - Samsung SH-216 DVDRW
                                HDD - Samsung HD321KJ
                                Misc: LSI MegaRAID SAS controller + Pixelview CX23881 TV tuner PCI
                                OS - Windows 10 Enterprise IoT for now, will also add RHEL once I get some SAS action going on it
                                Nice, I imagine getting that GPU in there was "fun" looks like a tight squeeze.

Comment

A little bit of "elbow grease" was required. There's still about a 4-5mm gap between the HDD cage and the GPU shroud.

I can only imagine what fun it'll be once I get some SAS drives and a SFF8087 to standard SAS adapter.
                                  Main rig:
                                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                  16GB DDR3-1600
                                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Since I can't edit my previous post, found an 8087-to-SAS adapter over Aliexpress. Good god that's gonna be copious amounts of fun to cram in.

Still thinking on what drives to use... I'm thinking of a mix of 2x SAS HGSTs and 2x Seagate ST1000DM010- the latter were literally $21 both, they just had stiction somehow. A quick palm whack on top fixed them, and they run well ever since. Made rather recently (2020 date on both) so I'm pretty surprised as to how did they manage to get head stiction despite not being dented.
                                    Main rig:
                                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                    16GB DDR3-1600
                                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                    X