TRENDnet TEW-671BR dual band wireless router reset issue fixed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TRENDnet TEW-671BR dual band wireless router reset issue fixed

Symptoms: Approx every 2-3 weeks the router would reset to factory defaults. If re-setup it would be fine for a short period before resetting again.

Replaced all its electrolytic capacitors and the router has been fine ever since.

Replaced:

5 x 470uF 16V radials (ESR approx 0.45R for each)
    1 x 100uF 25V radial ('disappeared' before ESR could be tested)

The plastic wrapping on two of the 470uF caps had split, suggesting a bit of deformation.

All caps were 105C Jackcon "Low ESR"; the 470uF ones were marked "0209C". The caps were replaced with generic 105C "Multicomp" house brand parts from CPC Farnell, which I had to hand; I suspect they are SJE caps from the logo.

The PCB had a hefty ground plane but removing the old caps wasn't too bad. I couldn't suck out the remaining solder so to avoid destroying the pads I carefully cleared out the holes with an 0.8mm PCB drill bit.
    Last edited by linker3000; 07-30-2016, 05:56 AM.

Re: TRENDnet TEW-671BR dual band wireless router reset issue fixed

Originally posted by linker3000 View Post
    Symptoms: Approx every 2-3 weeks the router would reset to factory defaults. If re-setup it would be fine for a short period before resetting again.
    According to this symptom, an attempt to write configuration infromation to the flash memory resulted in corruption of this data with the firmware detecting this corruption and issuing an automatic factory reset.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
    X