Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Electronics Theory and Troubleshooting > Troubleshooting Computer Displays
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #21
nuhhht

City & State: USA
Default Re: Hanns G HG281D 2 second black screen and parts help

Ya I have starting searching for PlainBill's posts also and can't thank him enough. I will have to check out the electronic's for dummies. Thank you for sharing your info with me.
nuhhht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #22
retiredcaps
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Canada

I found this youtube channel good for beginners interested in TV repair. He has 10 tutorials.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrantsPassTVRepairs

He goes through a lot like how to test such and such. I have watched each more than once and it is starting to sink in now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuhhht
Ya I have starting searching for PlainBill's posts also and can't thank him enough. I will have to check out the electronic's for dummies. Thank you for sharing your info with me.
retiredcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #23
nuhhht

Awesome man, thank you for the link!
Old 06-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #24
nuhhht

I just replaced all but 2 small caps (which I will order and replace) and the same problems still exist as in the original post. Upon boot up of the computer the wavy text and flickering gets better over time (75% of the time)

I am also now hearing a hissing sound coming from the rear of the monitor? Any ideas? Also, when I minimize a full screen window the sound makes a different noise from the rear of the monitor.

Last edited by nuhhht; 06-15-2010 at 02:54 PM..
Old 06-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #25
PlainBill
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Phoenix, AZ
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist

Quote:
I just replaced all but 2 small caps (which I will order and replace) and the same problems still exist as in the original post. Upon boot up of the computer the wavy text and flickering gets better over time (75% of the time)

I am also now hearing a hissing sound coming from the rear of the monitor? Any ideas? Also, when I minimize a full screen window the sound makes a different noise from the rear of the monitor.
The hissing sound is probably either one of the CCFLs or it's wiring harness, or a problem with an inverter transformer.

The other problem may be a bad cap on the logic card. It's ESR is dropping as it heats up. Possibly carefully check each cap on the logic card to see if one seems warmer after a few minutes. (It's a long shot).

PlainBill

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
PlainBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #26
nuhhht

If I remeber correctly the inverter and the power supply were
the only compents with caps on them. I will take it apart and double check.

Why would the bulbs all the sudden start going out? Colors
and contrast seem fine.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #27
PlainBill
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
If I remeber correctly the inverter and the power supply were
the only compents with caps on them. I will take it apart and double check.

Why would the bulbs all the sudden start going out? Colors
and contrast seem fine.
Lead free solder, fine gauge wire, the metal used to make the pins on ccfls, etc are not a good combination. One common problem is a loose wire due to a bad solder joint.

PlainBill
Old 06-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #28
nuhhht

I used 60/40 lead/tin. I will double check all the connections
Old 06-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #29
nuhhht

Here are some quality photos of the power supply board. I did find some cold solders that I will have to redo.

Can you guys spot anything unusual or give me a direction to check next.

The green boxes on the caps are the ones I've replaced and the red's are the ones I haven't (yet)

If you guys want more pictures let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 107_1441.JPG (726.6 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 108_2410.JPG (473.2 KB, 112 views)
Old 07-14-2010, 12:19 AM   #30
dipstick

City & State: Tucson, AZ

nuhhht

Just wondering if you got this figured out yet?

I have the same monitor but mine just turns black after about 10 sec, and the power light stays on. Doesn't matter if I hook it up VGA or HDMI, to a pc or a blu-ray, all the same. I tried the flashlight trick and its pitch black until I power off the monitor then I can see the light????? This was not a cheap monitor to just toss in the trash and replace. I have fixed other monitors before but this one has me stumped. Please lmk your progress. Thanks
dipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:00 AM   #31
PlainBill
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipstick
nuhhht

Just wondering if you got this figured out yet?

I have the same monitor but mine just turns black after about 10 sec, and the power light stays on. Doesn't matter if I hook it up VGA or HDMI, to a pc or a blu-ray, all the same. I tried the flashlight trick and its pitch black until I power off the monitor then I can see the light????? This was not a cheap monitor to just toss in the trash and replace. I have fixed other monitors before but this one has me stumped. Please lmk your progress. Thanks
The question in every case like this is 'Is it a backlight problem or a logic card problem?". Every monitor I have seen has some leakage from the backlights, visible when the back of the monitor is off, or maybe even in a dark room. If the CCFLs are off, troubleshoot the inverter system. If they are on, it would be a problem with the video processing system.

PlainBill
Old 07-14-2010, 11:21 AM   #32
dipstick

City & State: Tucson, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainBill
The question in every case like this is 'Is it a backlight problem or a logic card problem?". Every monitor I have seen has some leakage from the backlights, visible when the back of the monitor is off, or maybe even in a dark room. If the CCFLs are off, troubleshoot the inverter system. If they are on, it would be a problem with the video processing system.

PlainBill

Thanks Bill, I will give that a shot. I did end up testing the caps on the logic card with a ohm meter and the small ones dont seem to be working correctly. Im going to replace them today and get it put back together to check if the ccfls are on or not when the screen goes black.
dipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #33
josesantiago1983

answer is the logic card had same problem so i bought a new hannsg hg281d. and tested by doing switch so power supply is good but when i put the new logic card then the flickering is gone and wont turn off wont go to sleep mode like it did before .now it work great so i order a logic so the problem is not power supply

dude to many people will get you confuse
so the power supply look good by looking at the caps dont mess with its
you need a new logic card winch cant be fix
only hannsg got it in stock

[QUOTE=nuhhht]Hey guys,

I have a Hanns G HG281D 28" 1920x1200 5ms monitor that has recently started to show symptoms of a bad inverter ie: the screen would show grey lines of brightness (flickering kind of) the icons on the desktop would look as if they were being shaken. Also, randomly the screen would turn off but the power led light would stay on.
josesantiago1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:47 PM   #34
avetcj

Thumbs up Re: Hanns G HG281D 2 second black screen and parts help

Hi,
Where can I order a new logic card? Thanks

[QUOTE=josesantiago1983;115014]answer is the logic card had same problem so i bought a new hannsg hg281d. and tested by doing switch so power supply is good but when i put the new logic card then the flickering is gone and wont turn off wont go to sleep mode like it did before .now it work great so i order a logic so the problem is not power supply

dude to many people will get you confuse
so the power supply look good by looking at the caps dont mess with its
you need a new logic card winch cant be fix
only hannsg got it in stock

Quote:
Hey guys,

I have a Hanns G HG281D 28" 1920x1200 5ms monitor that has recently started to show symptoms of a bad inverter ie: the screen would show grey lines of brightness (flickering kind of) the icons on the desktop would look as if they were being shaken. Also, randomly the screen would turn off but the power led light would stay on.
avetcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #35
bosnia58

did anybody try to get power board anywhere online that would be easy fix just put new board and done instead changing capacitors or some other parts.
bosnia58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #36
PlainBill
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnia58 View Post
did anybody try to get power board anywhere online that would be easy fix just put new board and done instead changing capacitors or some other parts.
By the same logic, why mess around changing oil, buying new tires, or adding gas to a car - just buy a new car when the gas tank gets empty.

PlainBill
Old 10-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #37
PCBONEZ
Grumpy Old Fart

Line Voltage: 120V 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech

Replacement cards usually get you fresh BAD caps.

-
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
-
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
-
PCBONEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #38
gretti

So I had the same problem with the backlight turning off and squiggly lines. At first I re-capped the power board which did not fix the problem. Then I found two 100uf 16v by the two power transistors that were bad. Problem fixed after I replaced them.
gretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #39
allanlloyd

As a NEW member ,the posts are great with the exception of all the values of the caps are given but not the circuit location such as C1,C2 etc. They are all marked for the circuit reference and if quoted will make it easier to get to the correct caps . The 22/450v cap is the start up
allanlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #40
bjrothman

City & State: WA
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretti View Post
So I had the same problem with the backlight turning off and squiggly lines. At first I re-capped the power board which did not fix the problem. Then I found two 100uf 16v by the two power transistors that were bad. Problem fixed after I replaced them.
Sorry to resurrect a old thread, but I was having this issue too and replacing all 3 of 100uf 16v caps on the logic board fixed the issue for me. I salvaged some caps from an old usb2 pci card, so with a little extra work, it cost me $0.00. woot!
bjrothman is offline   Reply With Quote