Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Electronics Theory and Troubleshooting > Troubleshooting Laptops & Portable Devices
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 05:00 AM   #1
arxaios
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9
Unhappy Asus A6000 wont post

HI everyone

i have an asus A6000 with A6T motherboard.A week ago suddenly my laptop stopped to work.I search for a while and i found this awesome site with very good and reliable tips for laptop.So lets talk about my problem and see if you can help me.You have to know that allready change the motherboard by asus as defective so this one is brand new.I doublecked everything on the motherboard after i took it apart the main power adapter is ok as i measure it with multitester same thing i done with the motherboard the power passes through the variable chips.when i press the power button the leds flashing for about 3 sec and then nothing.the fan of the cpu dont turn on but i can hear the hdd trying spinning as the dvd player.After a lot of studying through internet included this site i understand that my computer cant pass the self on test fase and shutsdown.Could be a defective component?everything on my motherboard looks great as brand new nothing signs of burned or bad caps.When i plug main source the battery leb shows that charging for like 10 min and then nothing.I check power jack is ok ram ok.What else could be?
arxaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:12 AM   #2
kc8adu
Super Moderator
 
kc8adu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
City & State: dayton ohio
Posts: 7,289
Default Re: Asus A6000 wont post

on some laptops if the fan is bad it will shut down.
the fan spin at power on is a test.powers it up and looks for the tach pulses.
kc8adu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:38 AM   #3
arxaios
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9
Default Re: Asus A6000 wont post

thanks for reply but i tested with another fan and the laptop did the same thing.What else could it be?
arxaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
stj
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
City & State: Europe
Posts: 3,905
Default Re: Asus A6000 wont post

try without any drives and different ram.
unplug any internal cards like wifi or bluetooth.
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:17 AM   #5
arxaios
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9
Default Re: Asus A6000 wont post

I tried almost everything without drives and internal cards with them nothing without cmos battery,i reset it several times.Itried without battery only power same thing.I tried with one stick of memory alternating slots,with another good fuctional stick from another laptop nothing.Always do the same thing it can't post.The bizzare thing is that takes power but something doesn't work i don't know.is there any possibility to be graphic chip or southbridge that don't let it post?After a lot searching i found that these laptops have problems with graphics chips due to bad ventilation could be it?Also those guys with the same laptop and problem to the graphic chip said that they can't see the post screen( black monitor) or they see vertical lines.Mine in the other hand does nothing tries to boot but it can't .Well thats my story any other reccomendations would beapreciated thanks
arxaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
stj
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
City & State: Europe
Posts: 3,905
Default Re: Asus A6000 wont post

does it have a seperate gfx card or a socketed cpu?
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
kaniki
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
City & State: City of Idiots, Pennsylvania
Posts: 512
Default Re: Asus A6000 wont post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaios
is there any possibility to be graphic chip or southbridge that don't let it post?After a lot searching i found that these laptops have problems with graphics chips due to bad ventilation could be it?Also those guys with the same laptop and problem to the graphic chip said that they can't see the post screen( black monitor) or they see vertical lines.Mine in the other hand does nothing tries to boot but it can't .
If it was the video card, then that should have been fixed with the replacement of the board.. Same with the southbridge as both of those are usually right in the mainboard.. but not always.

You said that about a week ago it just started doing this.. did you turn it off and then it started doing this the next time you tried turning it on or did it start this while running?


Have you tried a different processor? or better yet, the battery? I know that some laptops will not turn on (might start to power on or see led's but not full power), nor will they work unless there is a good battery in the laptop. It does not matter if the power cord is good or not. I ran into something very similar with a friends not too long ago.. he had a battery from another laptop that fit, just slightly underpowered, but put that other one in and it started right up.
kaniki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
arxaios
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9
Default Re: Asus A6000 wont post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stj
does it have a seperate gfx card or a socketed cpu?

if you mean separate as changable no its on the mainboard fixed as per socketed cpu yes there is a socket for cpu


Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniki
If it was the video card, then that should have been fixed with the replacement of the board.. Same with the southbridge as both of those are usually right in the mainboard.. but not always.

You said that about a week ago it just started doing this.. did you turn it off and then it started doing this the next time you tried turning it on or did it start this while running?


Have you tried a different processor? or better yet, the battery? I know that some laptops will not turn on (might start to power on or see led's but not full power), nor will they work unless there is a good battery in the laptop. It does not matter if the power cord is good or not. I ran into something very similar with a friends not too long ago.. he had a battery from another laptop that fit, just slightly underpowered, but put that other one in and it started right up.

these symptoms started when i just shut it off after this it doesn't want to turn on.I didn't try another cpu because i don't have one spare and also i don't want to pay for one just to try sorry as for battery it seems good its allready charged and also when i plug the power shows that charge for a while at least 10 min.

but i want to ask something else these tips are always helpful and thank you all for your support but is strange that the laptop cannot pass the primary fase of post something bothers it seems that a component fails in the post fase and the laptop shuts down to protect itself.I allready have took apart the laptop and every thing on motherboard such hdd ram dvd modem pcmcia wifi evrything well when i plug the power should at least make some beeps but nothing.Also the fan doesn't spin strange... well i am luck of any other ideas.I search for a new motherboard but i can't find one with a regular price and functional.
arxaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #9
kaniki
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
City & State: City of Idiots, Pennsylvania
Posts: 512
Default Re: Asus A6000 wont post

I am not saying that it is the battery, but i know that just because it says that the battery is charging, does not mean that it is good. My friends, the battery light would go on like it was charging, but his, it would never go off. and if the battery has to be good (not saying charged, just good) and in place for the laptop to work, then it can keep the system from starting up. but from what you said, it does sound more like something shorting out on the board. but what seems odd about that is you said that they sent you a new board and if so, then that should have fixed it, unless they just sent you the same board back and never fixed it, which is always a possibility.

as for the processor, they do not usually just go bad. if they do it is usually shorted out by the motherboard and something going bad on it (power spike, etc.) or it being overheated (fan going bad, lack of air flow, etc.) but still sounds more like the mainboard to me..
kaniki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:18 AM   #10
arxaios
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9
Default Re: Asus A6000 wont post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniki
I am not saying that it is the battery, but i know that just because it says that the battery is charging, does not mean that it is good. My friends, the battery light would go on like it was charging, but his, it would never go off. and if the battery has to be good (not saying charged, just good) and in place for the laptop to work, then it can keep the system from starting up. but from what you said, it does sound more like something shorting out on the board. but what seems odd about that is you said that they sent you a new board and if so, then that should have fixed it, unless they just sent you the same board back and never fixed it, which is always a possibility.

as for the processor, they do not usually just go bad. if they do it is usually shorted out by the motherboard and something going bad on it (power spike, etc.) or it being overheated (fan going bad, lack of air flow, etc.) but still sounds more like the mainboard to me..

Could be a possibility for the battery but without the battery should post normaly don't you think?i agree that something on board shorts how could i identify such thing?thanks for support

regards arxaios
arxaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
kaniki
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
City & State: City of Idiots, Pennsylvania
Posts: 512
Default Re: Asus A6000 wont post

you would think.. but not always true.. my friends gateway will not boot without a good battery in it. you take the battery out and no boot. put a bad battery in.. no boot. put a good battery in (even if it is dead) boots right up.. no changes to anything but the battery. but then again, i have seen another laptop with a bad power relay (which in on the motherboard) and that one would boot by battery but would not boot with the power cord plugged in. it could be running and as soon as you plugged the main power cord in, it shut right down. on a positive note, it would charge the battery when not running. so you just had a limited runtime of how long the battery lasted then had to shut it down to charge the battery to run it longer..

Heck, i have a desktop here that if you plug a certain CD ROM into the 2nd IDE slot it will not boot up. runs fine on the first but not on the second. and i have run many other things on the second with no problems so neither the ROM nor the slot is bad and it id not matter if that rom was slave or master, in duel configuration or single on the IDE cable. Logically you would think it would not matter, but for some reason it did. that is a good example of things not being as you would think. and trust me, i could give you lots more.

I am just saying, when it comes to computers, never take for granted that just because you would think that something is not the problem, that it is not the problem because quite often it turns out to be something that logically you would think would never effect it. I have seen that time after time and on both desktops and laptops.
kaniki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:38 AM   #12
arxaios
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9
Default Re: Asus A6000 wont post

I totally agree with you i also have seen strange problems to computers that your mind would even think about and the problem would be something rediculous you are right.But After a lot reading about notebooks problems in internet i thought that the battery wouldn't be the problem because the first thing you have to do when troubleshooting a notebook is that you have to pull out the battery plug the dc and power on thats why i told you that the battery wouldn't be the problem.But as you said there are strange problems that happened to computers and this could be one.Because i didn't have a spare battery to test although i measured it with multitester out and on the laptop and seems that works i dont know.Also in another thread in this site i read about a laptop which had problems with power similar to mine and they said about the pwm controller that could be the problem.I just am trully tired of this laptop and probably i start looking for a new motherboard to resolve my problems could you give some leads where to search to find a good motherboard in a decent price in the internet?the motherboard type is A6T or Z92T with turion cpu thank so much

best regards arxaios
arxaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:21 AM   #13
aubrey52
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 18
Default Re: Asus A6000 wont post

do you get screen on display just not posting?
went you remove harddrive. try differ harddrive
i replace many 30/40 gb hd that was bad.
went you remove hd do get a display yes/no
if not mi have board that gone bad new are used
i had sent some m/b back to be repalce.would not post
aubrey52
good luck
aubrey52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #14
Wizard
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,297
Default Re: Asus A6000 wont post

Other explicitly asked you do your notebook have removable GPU card? If so and if Nvidia chipset, it is blown. Extremely high failure rate. Dump notebook and get a good notebook that use ATi GPU with known good design cooling design.

Asus does not know how to design cooling design properly especially for high powered GPU.

Cheers, Wizard
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #15
asusa6000
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
Default Re: Asus A6000 wont post

I have the same problem with my asus A6000. Suddenly my laptop do not power on. When power on, the blue email light and another three leds under power button flashes a few times and then stop. Also the battery is charging only for a few min (5 min) and the battery led stop. The laptop make the same thing without the battery, only on charger. I must say that my battery is week (it held only 5-10 min).
Did you fix your laptop?? (question for arxaios) Did you replace the motherboard?
I am waiting your answers and solutions. Thanks.
asusa6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #16
arxaios
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9
Wink Re: Asus A6000 wont post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubrey52
do you get screen on display just not posting?
went you remove harddrive. try differ harddrive
i replace many 30/40 gb hd that was bad.
went you remove hd do get a display yes/no
if not mi have board that gone bad new are used
i had sent some m/b back to be repalce.would not post
aubrey52
good luck
no nothing on screen is displayed everything stops on post i tried different hdd,when i remove hdd same thing happens nothing happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by asusa6000
I have the same problem with my asus A6000. Suddenly my laptop do not power on. When power on, the blue email light and another three leds under power button flashes a few times and then stop. Also the battery is charging only for a few min (5 min) and the battery led stop. The laptop make the same thing without the battery, only on charger. I must say that my battery is week (it held only 5-10 min).
Did you fix your laptop?? (question for arxaios) Did you replace the motherboard?
I am waiting your answers and solutions. Thanks.
no i didn't fix it i left for a while cause of job and luck of time but for sure i am going to do something, probably i am going to buy a new motherboard from ebay.The only thing i would like to test with old mobo is to reflow the graphic chip i found some articles in the net talk about it and would like to test just before buying the new one.Though my mobo is allready dead could not be more dead
arxaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #17
asusa6000
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
Default Re: Asus A6000 wont post

arxaios, please let me know if you find a solution....or even if the new mobo will fix the problem. btw how much you think will be a new/used mobo? thanks.
asusa6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #18
arxaios
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9
Default Re: Asus A6000 wont post

hey i think that this reflow of the graphics card could solve my problems but i had to test it i let you know as for buying a new mobo from a search at ebay results on 165 euro anyway i would do my tests and report back

regards arxaios
arxaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #19
asusa6000
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
Default Re: Asus A6000 wont post

arxaios i do not know what you mean by "this reflow" of the graphics card? I know the graphic card is integrated on the mobo. Anyway let me know if you fix it or any other solution you find (except throw it away). Cheers.
asusa6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #20
aubrey52
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 18
Default Re: Asus A6000 wont post

reflow of the integrated graphics card mean heat up mother bother
round the nvidia video chip on m/b to round 270 deg.
i had done dv6000 laptop mother board. and that fix him.
i did this too a dell c521 no post. fix it to it had a nvidia 6100 chips set
aubrey52
good luck
aubrey52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:22 PM.


Badcaps.net Technical Forums 2003 - 2014
Powered by vBulletin ®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Did you find this forum helpful?