Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Electronics Theory and Troubleshooting > Power Supply Design and Troubleshooting
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
Eagle2a

Default Reverse polarity damage to battery charger

Hello, first post requesting help on a problem. I think it falls in this forum since it's technically still a power supply. Anyway, I've been using a Xantrex 2A 3-stage battery charger/maintainer to top-off charge various lead-acid batteries. It's worked very well for that task. The other day I was in a hurry and inadvertently connected the charger with reverse polarity on a battery. Duh! I immediately knew something was wrong b/c the charger clips sparked, which never happens, so I quickly disconnected them but it was too late. Now the charger doesn't have any DC output (I've measured it with a DMM). The battery detection/status LED still lights when I connect it to a battery but the charging LED doesn't. The charger says it has reverse polarity protection but obviously it didn't work. What are the likely failure(s) and what should I check first? Do you think it can be repaired easily? I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

I've attached 2 photos of the circuit board FYI. The DC output is at the top and the 4 white wires are for the indicator LEDs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_6867a.jpg (91.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Img_6868a.jpg (76.5 KB, 36 views)
Eagle2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Eagle2a

Default Re: Reverse polarity damage to battery charger

Okay I've done some more probing around and gotten more data. I now suspect the MBR1045 Schottky diode/rectifier in the right heatsink has failed shorted, especially since I'm measuring about 40 VAC in the DC output. I also suspect the large diode (blocking?) just above the transformer has also failed shorted, maybe leading to the Schottky diode failure. Any opinions?
Eagle2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
stj
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Europe
Default Re: Reverse polarity damage to battery charger

desolder them & meter them "off board"
stj is offline   Reply With Quote