Need help with Antec TruePower2.0 380W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with Antec TruePower2.0 380W

I have it running since 2005 at my basic pc (athlon XP 2000+@2200+, 1GB DDR, ATI 4650 AGP, 2 x 7200 hard drives, 2 dvd rom/rw drives and 2 case fans) and after reading many threads about problems with antec psus I opened it today to check it.

Capacitor list of psu:

1x220uF 400VDC Hitachi HP2
    1x10uF 50V Fuhjyyu
    1x1uF 50V Koshin
    1x22uF 16V Fuhjyyu
    1x22uF 50V Koshin
    1x100uF 25V
    2x1000uF 10V 8mm 105C bulged Fuhjyyu (photo soon)
    extra green board:1x16V CB06 Fuhjyyu
    1x220uF 16V Koshin
    1xunknown capacitor CC03
    2x3300uF 16V 10mm
    4x4700uF 10V 10mm

Sorry, I was not able to read some capacitor names/capacities...

I need to know if it's safe to keep on using this psu until I get the replacement caps.

The bulged capacitors are critical or not to the psu running well and safe?

Photos of psu and bad caps:
    Attached Files

Re: Need help with Antec TruePower2.0 380W

bad caps are never good. NEVER!

Fuhjyyus are the worst... always replace them!

yup, they are critical if you want a safe machine that isn't a killer.

recap it! and don't use until you do.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

...and what is this? Seems it has exploded...

Btw the psu voltages have all been checked in load and idle and appear fine.

sorry for double post
      Attached Files

Comment

you blew a resistor. see if you can find the band pattern so it van be replaced

its still unsafe. the ripple must be ungodly, the average voltage is in spec but the peaks are probably not. an oscilloscope or analog multimeter (with a needle-gauge) can be used... the analog will tell you based on the steadiness of the needle, the scope you would know about if you had one.

ripple kills components. DON'T USE IT UNTIL YOU RECAP IT!!! thats half the reason why a bad capped psu will kill a mobo. out of spec voltages are second.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I agree with ratdude. Recap it and replace that resistor BEFORE your motherboard gets Antec'd. Trust me, it will happen. I've seen it several times before
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Now I'm really worried.. Replacement caps will come late.. I don't have an alternative psu to use (except those who are less safe aren't they? https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...1&page=1&pp=20) and can't afford a quality new one right now.

I 'm writing with the antec powering my system right now!!!

Please tell me how to find the right resistor. I don't know anything about resistor types!!

Never gonna buy antec anymore. That psu costed me 105euros back at 2004 and got changed via rma at 2005 with a new one... Totally disappointed

Comment

The leaking caps appear to be on the +5vsb PI filter. Definitely BAD for anything attached. Definitely replace them before you plug it into anything, along with any others with the name fuhjyyu. While you're at it you might as well replace all the caps except the hitachi. Hitachi's are good, and the huge 400v caps rarely go bad anyway.

The part that looks like it's exploded is a power resistor wrapped in heat shrink tubing. It didn't actually explode, but got so hot that it burst through the heat shrink. It's probably fine, it takes a lot to kill a resistor, but if you're ordering caps and repairing it you might as well replace this too. If you take it out and peel the heat shrink off, you might be able to read the color bands. Otherwise use an ohmmeter/multimeter to find it's resistance and get an appropriate replacement. From the picture, it looks like that was a 2W resistor, so for a replacement you might want to up to a 3W or 5W resistor so it doesn't fry again.

Just saw your last post - for the resistor, go here: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk....dll?Cat=66690 and select '5W' from the power list, and then 'apply filters.' Then, look through the resistances to find one that matches your resistor. You can use something like this http://www.samengstrom.com/nxl/3660/...e_page.en.html to help you figure out the resistance. For tolerance, lower is better, but more expensive (of course). Definitely use one with equal or better tolerance than the original one.
              Last edited by etnietering; 11-11-2009, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Yes those are +5vsb caps.
                There should be another associated with +5vsb on the other side of the heat-sink from those. It's smaller uF.

~~
                Minimize turning the machine on-off but use hard-off [the back switch] instead of standby or soft-off.
                - What I mean is shut-down normally THEN turn it off at the back switch.
                Disable the power saving so it never automatically goes into standby.
                Once the machine is running many +5vsb loads are taken over by the regular +5v.
                When it's in standby [or starting up] all of those loads are on +5vsb until +5v is up to volts.
                If you just leave it running +5vsb isn't working as hard as it is in standby or during startup.
                -
                With +5vsb fubar eventually it isn't going to startup.

~~
                My guess is you mystery cap is a 47uF 6.3mm snugged up close to one of the main heat-sinks in the xfmr bay.
                - Either that or you missed some caps in your list. Every Antec I've seen has that cap.
                If I'm right I've seen it in both 35v and 50v. [So I buy 50v 'cause it works for either.]
                Usually it's a Fuhjyyu TN series but sometimes it's a Koshin KRM.

~~
                The 4700uF on those Fuhjyyu is bogus.
                KC8 has capacitance checked some from a new unused PSU and they were only 3100uF.
                They are on +5v and +3.3v.
                Using 3300uF 6.3v there is just fine as long as the ESR/Ripple rating is good enough.
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

1x220uF 400VDC Hitachi HP2
                  - Leave this alone. It's fine.

- 1x16v - uF what?
                  The side board is just the fan controller.
                  The caps aren't stressed [worked] that much.
                  Sometimes it even has ceramic disc caps instead of lytics.

4x4700uF 10V 10mm
                  - Ripple/ESR = 1580 / .038
                  - Samxon RS 3300uF 10v-or-16v
                  - MBZ, FK, FL, FJ, or WG at 3300uF 6.3v

2x3300uF 16V 10mm
                  - Ripple/ESR = 1580 / .024
                  - Samxon RS 3300uF 16v
                  - Or squeeze in two comparable spec 12.5mm [which ain't easy]

2x1000uF 10V 8mm 105C bulged Fuhjyyu
                  - Ripple = 500 [Not low ESR but should be.]
                  - LXZ, FC, or anything better [No PW in 8mm here]

For all the rest: They aren't low ESR but should be.
                  - LXZ, PW, FC, or anything better

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

that one I couldn't read its uF but I don't care if it's only for the fan controller, I will leave it there.

1xunknown capacitor CC03
                    This is placed behind the bulged caps, as shown in photo. The only readable was a code CC03 that makes me think it's an Fuhjyyu. But can't find its volt/uF rating.

Hope I didn't miss any caps, looked as good as I could...

I want to really thank you for your time and search.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by goodpsusearch; 11-12-2009, 01:58 AM.

Comment

http://gr.rsdelivers.com/product/yxf...c/2244325.aspx
                      Is this low esr?

http://gr.rsdelivers.com/product/yxf...c/1918261.aspx
                      and that one too...
                      Last edited by goodpsusearch; 11-12-2009, 02:47 AM.

Comment

one last:
                        http://gr.rsdelivers.com/product/pan...v/4149014.aspx

If they are ok I will order them imediately... I don't want my system fried.

Comment

These two capacitors are bad - they are the two filter capacitors in the 5vsb PI filter. Check the 5vsb - if the voltage is greater than 5.5 volts, that is the reason the caps are bad. If 5vsb has gone overvoltage ...... voltage too high.... it will cause lots of problems. Measure that 5vsb. If voltage is OK, then change these two capacitors. If voltage is high, troubleshoot 5vsb circuit first, then change the capacitors.
                          Attached Files
                          Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

The YXF series is fine for those.

The GA is not.
                            Use this instead.
                            http://gr.rsdelivers.com/product/pan...v/4491012.aspx

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

Oh, and,
                              No, that's not where the 47uF I'm used to seeing is.
                              That would be the largest one in upper right of same photo.
                              Might be different uF on yours but as I recall all the SmartPower, True, and TP2 I've done had a 47uF there.
                              -
                              My closest to that model I have handy is a TP2-550.
                              In that one those 4 caps you marked are laid out differently but they are:
                              2x 1000uF-10v-8mm
                              1x 220uF-16v-6.3mm
                              1x 470uF-25v-8mm
                              - Probably the same but no guarantees.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

So they used Blue Sleeved TMs on the 5vsb that's a switch. At least they used low ESR crap caps.

On the 5 PSUs I recapped they always used Black Sleeved TNs there the TN series is general purpose which is beyond stupid.
                                Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by everell
                                  These two capacitors are bad - they are the two filter capacitors in the 5vsb PI filter. Check the 5vsb - if the voltage is greater than 5.5 volts, that is the reason the caps are bad. If 5vsb has gone overvoltage ...... voltage too high.... it will cause lots of problems. Measure that 5vsb. If voltage is OK, then change these two capacitors. If voltage is high, troubleshoot 5vsb circuit first, then change the capacitors.
                                  Psu voltages tested @ System: athlon XP 2000+@ 2200+, 2x512mb DDR @360mhz , ATI HD 4650 AGP, 2 x 7200 hard drives, 2 dvd rom/rw drives and 2 case fans (+5V system, no 4 pin 12V connector)

V-----------------------Idle--------------3dMark05
                                  5vsb---PCoff:5.08----5.04--------------5.03
                                  12V--------------------12.19-12.20-----12.16-12.18
                                  12VB*-----------------12.23-------------12.23
                                  5V----------------------5.05-5.09--------5.06-5.10
                                  3.3V--------------------3.33-3.34--------3.33-3.34

*motherboard

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                                  In that one those 4 caps you marked are laid out differently but they are:
                                  2x 1000uF-10v-8mm
                                  1x 220uF-16v-6.3mm
                                  1x 470uF-25v-8mm
                                  - Probably the same but no guarantees.
                                  I'll order that one for the unknown cap and hope it matches.
                                  http://gr.rsdelivers.com/product/pan...f/5261553.aspx
                                  Just ordered them!

Originally posted by PCBONEZ

Minimize turning the machine on-off but use hard-off [the back switch] instead of standby or soft-off.
                                  - What I mean is shut-down normally THEN turn it off at the back switch.

Im thinking to apply that advice at these computers too that are not often used (powered on 1-3 times a week)
                                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8171
                                  When they shut down, I turn the psu switch to off. Will it help?

Comment

Me too. - Usually see TN there.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

In the last 2 pictures of the first post, notice the PCB discoloration near the 5vsb circuit (particularly the resistor and diode next to 5vsb transformer). This mean you definitely need to change the critical 5vsb cap (which is usually either 10, 22, or 47uF). Seems to be the one right next to U6 (5vsb transistor).

Comment

Which of the 3 caps is the 5vsb cap you are referring to? I've added capacities and volts of each one in the photo to help you.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X