• Show
Clear All

Re: Which of these psus is the safest?

well, more noise than fuhjyyu:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...rint&ndar_id=8
    but what i've found to be most interesting:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/show...?t=1450&page=3
    (look at the end of the thread)
    ok, that audio comparison aside, but perhaps there's something there about letting it settle in...

it would definitely be interesting to see wolf do that test again...perhaps i'll drop him a line to see if he still has those psus...

something else occurs to me: load testers are usually pure resistive load, right?
    and mobos are not.
    mobos are noisy monsters...hehe...

Comment

Well, not all psu's are CWT's, and not all caps are Fujiyuu, so you don't know how every individual psu will react to different caps without a oscilliscope.

Actually, I believe things like the sunmoon and techred's are dynamic loading units, capable of dynamic load response and other real world type scenarios.
      Last edited by 370forlife; 12-04-2009, 05:59 PM.

Comment

>Well, not all psu's are CWT's, and not all caps are Fujiyuu, so you don't know how every individual psu will react to different caps without a oscilliscope.

exactly my point; we don't know about those(as wolf didn't repeat the test after burn in) and we know even less about those never tested (ie all those recaps you did...hehe).

>Actually, I believe things like the sunmoon and techred's are dynamic loading units, capable of dynamic load response and other real world type scenarios.

dynamic would mean sunmoon changes the load, and i don't think that makes sense...
        how do you, then, measure the "breaking" point?
        what i ment is that load tester is not as complex load as motherboard(and everythign else attached) and that means noise could look quite differently on mobo vs. the load tester.

scoping would be interesting if we could scope psu+mobo, but that seems rather non-trivial task...as keri jane's attampts proved.

Comment

Well, thats why I only recap units I have seen tested before, or have a history of making units that are ok performers if they are loaded to their actual capabilities.

Such as my old YueLin, it made only 80mv of ripple @384W on the 12v with the original caps according to the JG bargain basement roundup testing of the Powork 650W (based on same unit) so I figure if the original 12v rail was filtered with a Micon brand GP 16v, 470uf cap and only made 80mv of ripple, two 2200uf rubycon ZL 16v caps ought to reduce ripple here a little.

Also worth noting that kerijane has said before that she had a antec with Fujiyuu that produced over 1v of ripple at only 300W load. I don't know about you, but I would much rather have 100-110mv of ripple with caps that won't fail and will probalby get better with time rather than have 1v of ripple frying everything from my processor to my fans.

Comment

what i've said is that we don't really know.
            ie we don't know if these recaps result in better or worse ripple(offcourse, totally bloated fuhyu shouldn't be hard to beat...we'll put those aside).

example: it would be interesting to know if decent "stock" psu does better than(for example) rubycon recap you mentioned.

reasoning: why bother for the sake of saving 30-40$ if i'll get worse ripple in my recap?
            otoh, perhaps these recaps are much better than these 30-40$ psus.
            that's why it would be interesting to test it.

Comment

I got two nearly identical power supplies for free from the university old stuff (to be thrown away). The psus are Jou Jye Electronic JJ-460PPSA 460watt passive pfc. The site of the product is here: http://www.jj-computer.com/Products/...lar/Jj460ppsa/

They both power on and voltages seem to be in specs. I have not tried them yet on a mobo, only at fans and a useless hard drive.

The one with black heatsinks has production date 2005-07, the other one 2007-03.

Capacitor list:

Jou Jye Electronic JJ-460PPSA 2005-07 board V2.0

2x1000uF 200V Jun Fu

2x2.2uF 400V Capxon
              2x4.7uF 50V JunFu
              2x47uF 50V JunFu
              1x1000uF 10V Capxon
              1x1000uF 16V Capxon
              1x0.47uF 50V JunFu
              1x1uF 50V Capxon

3.3V
              2x3300uF 10V Capxon

5V
              2x3300uF 10V Capxon

12V
              2x3300uF 16V Capxon

1x1000uF 16V Capxon

Jou Jye Electronic JJ-460PPSA 2007-03 board V2.3

2x1000uF 200V Jun Fu

2x2.2uF 400V JunFu
              2x4.7uF 50V Capxon
              2x47uF 50V JunFu
              1x1000uF 10V Capxon
              1x1000uF 16V Capxon - bulging
              1x0.47uF 50V JunFu
              1x1uF 50V JunFu

3.3V
              2x3300uF 10V JunFu

5V
              2x3300uF 10V JunFu

12V
              2x3300uF 16V JunFu

1x1000uF 16V JunFu

I have attached photos of both psus. I would like to let me know if there are any safety or reliability issues (due to bad design for example) with these suppies.

What's your opinion about the caps they have?
              Attached Files

Comment

Those actually look very good. Definitely good for a recap.

Comment

and if you had the esr meter you would probably find most of those caps were ok...
                  (as it seems you don't have much money, so you could swap just those with high esr)

Comment

That supervisory chip has OCP too.

Comment

Those PSUs look pretty good. Main transformer seems like it really is size 39 and that's definitely a plus. PPFC is also a good thing.
                      Both PSUs use a 2-transistor 5vsb design, though. Of course it's not like your other PSU don't, so it doesn't really matter in this case. If nothing looks burnt in the 5vsb section of the circuit, keep it as is (or replace the 47uF 50v caps if you want piece of mind).

i4004: Yeah, I've seen that experiment at JG before and I was surprised with the outcome too. Maybe too low ESR really is bad, but like you said, who knows. Only scope after recap can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
                        Both PSUs use a 2-transistor 5vsb design, though. Of course it's not like your other PSU don't, so it doesn't really matter in this case. If nothing looks burnt in the 5vsb section of the circuit, keep it as is (or replace the 47uF 50v caps if you want piece of mind).
                        Can you locate the 5vsb section in the photos posted please? Sorry, I don't know much about electronics...

What about the caps? Is junfu good, bad or mediocre?

According to PCBONEZ's post at the first page of thread, capxon is good..

Comment

Ehh, capxon likes to fail without showing it, just they can suppress ripple pretty good.

But even Fujiyuu/asia-x can do that when set up right. Capxon fail quickly, not as fast as Fujiyuu but don't last nearly as long as teapo.

I think the main reason the Fujiyuu's and Capxon did better at ripple suppression on the JG recapping tests than UCC is because of the smaller factors like ripple, and they should have been burned in for a while.
                          Last edited by 370forlife; 12-08-2009, 01:24 PM.

Comment

>Can you locate the 5vsb section in the photos posted please?

+5v stby is made in smaller trafo which is usually near the edge of the board, ie on side opposite to big (main) trafo.

Comment

Ok, the one of the two is ready - 2005 model. I think it has acceptable capacitors (mostly capxon) and works ok.

But I decided to recap the other, that is full of jun fu caps. Soon I will ask your opinion about the replacement caps I am gonna order.

After recap, if everything goes ok it will be powering Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz (system #1)

Comment

Can you answer the following questions?

1) 2x1000uF 200V Jun Fu
                                I have read here that the primary caps rarely fail. Is it ok to leave the originals unchanged?

2) 2x2.2uF 400V JunFu
                                How important are those caps? Do they need to be replaced?

3)1x0.47uF 50V JunFu
                                Is it acceptable to replace that cap with Rubycon YXF 1uF 50V? If not, is it better not to replace it at all?

4)3.3V: 2x3300uF 10V JunFu
                                5V: 2x3300uF 10V JunFu
                                These caps are 10mm just like in antec power supplies. The only caps available at 10mm to replace them are Panasonic FK 3300uF 6.3V. Will they do the job?

Comment

6.3v is fine for 5v and 3.3v, not familiar with those series so maybe ok to replace with maybe not.

The primaries, they typically are ok unless they are bulging. The small ones I wouldn't worry about unless they are on the 5vsb circuit.

Comment

I want to make sure my capacitor replacement list is good, before I order them via rs:

2x2.2uF 400V JunFu --> 2x2.2uF 400V Panasonic NHG Series
                                    2x4.7uF 50V Capxon --> 2x4.7uF 50V Rubycon YXF Series
                                    2x47uF 50V JunFu --> 2x47uF 50V Rubycon YXF Series
                                    1x1000uF 10V Capxon --> 1x1000uF 10V Panasonic FM Series
                                    2x1000uF 16V Capxon -bulging --> 2x1000uF 16V Rubycon YXF Series
                                    1x0.47uF 50V JunFu --> 1x1uF 50V Rubycon YXF Series
                                    1x1uF 50V JunFu --> 1x1uF 50V Rubycon YXF Series

3.3V & 5V
                                    4x3300uF 10V JunFu --> 4x3300uF 6.3V Panasonic FK Series

12V
                                    2x3300uF 16V JunFu --> 2x3300uF 16V Panasonic FM Series

Please check it and tell me if any change is required..

Comment

Just be sure the dimensions match, other than that they should be fine.

Comment

Just ordered them!

Meanwhile, I tested Jou Jye JJ 460PPSA, the model with the capxon caps and the black heatsinks, at my main pc (athlon XP 2000+@2200+, 1GB DDR@360MHZ, ATI 4650 AGP, 2 x 7200 hard drives, 2 dvd rom/rw drives and 2 case fans). Here are the results:

Joy Jye JJ 460PPSA 2005 model
                                        V--------------------------Idle---------------3DMark05
                                        5vsb--PCoff:5.09-5.10--5.08-5.09---------5.08-5.09
                                        12V-----------------------12.44-12.46------12.50-12.54
                                        12VB*--------------------12.44-12.46------12.52-12.53
                                        5V------------------------5.00-5.05---------4.95-5.00
                                        3.3V----------------------3.34-3.35---------3.33-3.34

*mobo connector

Why 12V so high?
                                        Last edited by goodpsusearch; 12-10-2009, 05:09 PM.

Comment

I don't know, if you don't mind maybe bricking the other one I think those POT's on that little riser card on the secondary control the voltages. You can try to mess around with those. (They may also control the OCP or OVP points for individual rails)

Again it might be for something else and wind up doing something you don't want it to. I would try fiddling with them on the other one.
                                          Last edited by 370forlife; 12-10-2009, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X