Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much power can a "35" transformer make?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much power can a "35" transformer make?

That new Rosewill Deer 350W has a "35" labeled transformer. (labeled as ERL-35-2005)

I just noticed the HEC made Xigmatec NRP-PC502 500W psu also has a "35" labeled transformer (labeled as ERL-35-24) as seen in the second-down picture here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory4&reid=158

so can a "35" labeled transformer do 500w, as the HEC's obviously did.

Re: How much power can a "35" transformer make?

Depends on the switching frequency, the max magnetic flux density that the ferrite can handle without excessive heating, and the engineering design margins. As a rule of the thumb, for commodity ferrite EI or EE transformers in a conventional half-bridge topology with BJT switchers (almost all PC PSUs), 35-size primary transformers can handle about 250..350W.
    Last edited by linuxguru; 09-06-2009, 12:59 AM. Reason: Addendum

Comment

So about 99% of the time they can only do 250-350W unless they are a special type of transformer?

Comment

Yes, for almost all commodity designs. It's possible to go higher with specialty ferrites, higher switching frequencies and MOSFET switchers, but you won't generally see those in PC PSUs, which are price-sensitive and use commodity parts where possible.

Comment

that deer "35" transformer is a fake "35" transformer. it maybe just a "33" transformer.
          days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Originally posted by yanz
            that deer "35" transformer is a fake "35" transformer. it maybe just a "33" transformer.

The one in the new one is an actual "35" transformer, but in the old deer I rebuilt a while back, that was a fake "35" just a relabeled 33.

Comment

i see. i have a hec 300W (working) that has a "ERL-35" transformer, and it is taller about 1 cm(?) than the deer's.
              days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

The one in the new deer is about 1/4" taller than the "35" in my old deer.

Comment

Working...
                X