Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Electronics Theory and Troubleshooting > Troubleshooting Computer Displays
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
freelander

City & State: Canada
Default Capacitor Testing

A simple question for the more electrically inclined than me...

I had to get a new multi-meter recently and this one has a CAP setting for capacitors which measures uF. It also says that it can be used for diodes and transistors but I'm not sure what it would do. The limit of my repairs so far have been replacing capacitors and CCFLs but would any of these features ease my troubleshooting instead of the replace and see method that I have used?
freelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
PlainBill
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Phoenix, AZ
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist
Default Re: Capacitor Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelander
A simple question for the more electrically inclined than me...

I had to get a new multi-meter recently and this one has a CAP setting for capacitors which measures uF. It also says that it can be used for diodes and transistors but I'm not sure what it would do. The limit of my repairs so far have been replacing capacitors and CCFLs but would any of these features ease my troubleshooting instead of the replace and see method that I have used?
The capacitance feature won't be much help. A capacitor can gave a high ESR while still showing normal capacitance.

Of course, the ohmmeter function and the diode test will be useful for finding shorted transistors and open fuses.

The Voltage function will qouckly show if the power supply is working.

PlainBill

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
PlainBill is offline   Reply With Quote