Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epox 8RDA3+ Recap My First Poly Mod

Hi, this has been one of my favourite mainboards
    It's gone through allot of CPU's and different memory, I've owned it since November 2003. It now has 2GB Corsair TWINX2048-4000PT memory in it that only cost $400 when I bought it December 2006
    The CPU it uses is a Mobile Athlon XP-M Barton clocked to 2300Mhz

Lately it has been commisioned into a HTPC at my parents place, I bought a ATI 2400Pro graphics card for it, it's connected to a Sony KDL-40D3550 LCD TV

Last month or so it started locking up, it had been running rock solid up untill then at this OC, for several years...
    So I placed an order with Big Pope, since this mobo has such a sentimental value for me I thought I'd go overkill on it and give it some solid polymer caps
    Code:
    6x 2700uF 2.5v X-CON ULR
    3x 2200uF 16v Samxon GC
    4x 820uF  4v Sanyo OS-CON SEPC
    1x 1500uF 16v Samxon GC
    8x 1000uF 6.3v Samxon GC
    7x 470uF  16v Samxon GC
    3x 220uF  16v X-CON ULR
    After recapping it works great, I will see when I have time if there is now more overclocking headroom, I would think there is...
    Maybe I can also lower vcore now and still maintain stability
    The second pic I posted below as a thumbnail only shows locations of caps and their values...
    What was strange was that the caps I removed checked out ok for both capacitance and ESR, go figure, all where TEAPO except the 3 input caps for the CPU VRM (GSC). None where bulging...
    Last thumbnail to the right is an old before pic I found...

Note; you can click image for a larger version
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 08-25-2009, 02:31 PM.
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Re: Epox 8RDA3+ Recap My First Poly Mod

Congratulation

Let's see if it last other 6 years.

Ciao
    Gianni
    "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
    H. J. Brown

Comment

nice work. it always a worthy recapping if it's an epox board..
      days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Thnx guys
        Correction to the above from Big Pope, the 3 input caps for the CPU VRM are Samxon GD, not GC
        Btw, I was meaning to use solid polymers for the 4x 1000uF 6.3v caps around the RAM, but I was unable to fit the Sanyo OS-CON 820uF caps there because they where too thick (actually 3x OSCON's I could fit but the last one was impossible, so I used Samxon GC 1000uF 6.3v 8mm instead...)
        Last edited by Per Hansson; 08-26-2009, 09:34 AM.
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Tjena.

Good job. So Big Pope is in business? I sent him an email a couple of weeks ago for a quote on some caps, but hasn't received any answer. I've ordered the caps elsewhere after a few days without reply, so it doesn't matter any more. I'm not impressed by his interest though.
          ------------
          Be a mensch

Comment

Tjena
            Perhaps the mail was lost or something, he usually answers very quickly...

Comment

Originally posted by sofTest
              Tjena.

Good job. So Big Pope is in business? I sent him an email a couple of weeks ago for a quote on some caps, but hasn't received any answer. I've ordered the caps elsewhere after a few days without reply, so it doesn't matter any more. I'm not impressed by his interest though.
              Sorry for this, when you sent you me e-mail? and Which e-mail you sent? Thanks.
              My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Pope
                Sorry for this, when you sent you me e-mail? and Which e-mail you sent? Thanks.
                Sometime last week, with subject "Quote" or "Price quote". As I said, I've ordered the caps elsewhere on Monday, and received one of the lots today. I ordered from a couple of eBay vendors I hadn't purchased from before, and the Panasonic FCs I received today checked out OK. The other lot of Chemi-Con KZJs was confirmed shipped on Tuesday, so if they also are OK, I'm sett for caps for my current projects within the next few days.
                ------------
                Be a mensch

Comment

Congrats Per: nice work. Keep us updated if the board OCs higher

Zandrax
                  Have an happy life.

Comment

Originally posted by sofTest
                    Sometime last week, with subject "Quote" or "Price quote". As I said, I've ordered the caps elsewhere on Monday, and received one of the lots today. I ordered from a couple of eBay vendors I hadn't purchased from before, and the Panasonic FCs I received today checked out OK. The other lot of Chemi-Con KZJs was confirmed shipped on Tuesday, so if they also are OK, I'm sett for caps for my current projects within the next few days.
                    It is ok, wait for your e-mail soon. But, just remind you that KZJ and KZV have already discontinuation from Chemi-con snice July 2007.
                    My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

Working...
                    X