Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Motherboards with Bad Capacitors > Other Devices with Bad Capacitors
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
Q2000

Default Sega Game Gear / Bad Caps!!!

Hi everybody new to this, anyone i have a game gear it is one of those devices that uses bad capacitors, symptoms of this are poor contrast on screen lots of crosstalk on screen, brightness problems and possibly not turning on at all and failing of the sound sound system. This week im going to try and replace the caps on the board, im following the guide shown here

http://members.optusnet.com.au/evilt.../ggrepair.html (This one)

http://www.smspower.org/dev/docs/ggsoundfix/

What i want to know is im using the miniaturised type called Minelect, from maplin (Electronic retailer) does anyone know if thats the actual make or who makes these caps. Also how well do ceramic caps go in the place of electrolytic devices?
Q2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
AudioCraZ

City & State: Bakersfield, CA
Send a message via ICQ to AudioCraZ
Default Re: Sega Game Gear / Bad Caps!!!

Anybody have any tips for redoing caps on a Game gear? I received one from a friend, with about 12 games, but it has the washed out screen. I have never done surface mount stuff, any tips? Where can I get the caps from? Digikey the only place?
AudioCraZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
bluto
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Illinois

ChipQuik makes getting the old ones off much easier. It consists of a special low temp solder and flux. You put the flux on and then bathe the solder pad of the component with the solder. It stays molten long enough to pick the component up with a tweezers. I used it to remove some 8 pin SMD FETs with no prior experience. I figured out how to do it very quickly. There are also some guides on the net on how to do it. Here is the link for a small ChipQuik kit on Digikey: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...l&name=SMD1-ND
bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
AudioCraZ

City & State: Bakersfield, CA
Send a message via ICQ to AudioCraZ

Well, getting them off isn't the problem, is soldering the new ones on.... I have some soldering skills, but not sure if I could do that.
AudioCraZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:44 AM   #5
stj
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Europe

i'v done a few.

it uses strange caps that are like normal caps on there side in a small frame.
they all leak.

you need to open it, make a note of all lopcations ?& values.
then remove them all & clean the leaks with IPA.

i recap them all using surfacemount tantalums i pull from old dvd drives & over junk - they wont leak again!

you have to be a bit carefull btw removing the old caps on the audio pcb - you'l understand when you see it.
and the pwer board - use regular decent caps.
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
Krankshaft
Super Moderator

City & State: New Jersey, USA

Or if there is enough room when the thing is put back together just bend the leads on ordinary radial through hole caps and solder them to the board.

I've never seen lytic caps in an epoxy SMD package like that before must be a 90s thing. When I first saw they had polarity and that they were surface mount I thought Tantalums but then I knew they couldn't be because they wouldn't have failed .

Last edited by Krankshaft; 04-09-2010 at 01:59 PM..
Krankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
japlytic
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia
My Country: Australia
Line Voltage: 240VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist

A couple of years ago, I bought one (which had weak audio), and replacing the capacitors on the Audio board restored the sound completely. If I remember correctly, they were SMD units (and were leaking).
Old 04-11-2010, 03:34 AM   #8
petieken

I recapped a few Game Gears over the last few years. I just replaced the SMD caps with regular Panny FC's. You'll only have to bend them flat with the mainboard or the shell won't fit anymore.

Colors aren't washed out anymore and the crosstalk is gone too after recap
petieken is offline   Reply With Quote