Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Motherboards with Bad Capacitors > Other Devices with Bad Capacitors
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
setnev

Question DVD Recorder wont turn on.

I have a Califone DVD-400 DVD Recorder that fails to turn on anymore. I got it from my uncle for free. Anyways, I cracked open the case and it seems that the caps on the main power board are defective(puffed at the seams). Anyways, all the caps on the graphics board and motherboard are fine. The caps that are on the power board are KSD capacitors. I am sure that this is the problem. What is the recommended caps to use for this replacement. I searched your forums and cannot find any information about KSD capacitors. Also, there is a very large cap on the power board that doesn't look defective. It is a DM cap. The specs are 100uF400WV Negative. Should this one be replaced too? Thanks in advance.
setnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:35 AM   #2
Spacedye69
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Greenville, OH
My Country: US
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist
Default Re: DVD Recorder wont turn on.

The big primary caps rarely need replaced. For the rest of the caps, I would look for Nichicon P series(PL, PM, PW, PZ) caps or Rubycon ZL if you can find any.
Spacedye69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
gonzo0815
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Germany
Default Re: DVD Recorder wont turn on.

Usually you only have to change those caps at the secondary side, in most cases the one at the 5v rail are he most important ones.
But sure, even those smaller sized bad primaries are in such units not the best, but inmost cases they are not the problem.
gonzo0815 is offline   Reply With Quote