Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think about the AMPROBE AM 220 VOM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you guys think about the AMPROBE AM 220 VOM?

Since it seems nobody has a good low cost meter they might want to sell on the forum, I've headed back to Google and Ebay. Based on reviews for meters in my limited budget for my currently limited skills I've decided that the AMPROBE AM 220 might be a good choice. It has audible continuity check, and also a stand on the rear which would be helpful when I'm trying to test. Price is about $60.

Looking for any second opinions you guys might have, and if this meter could suit me well in my TV testing/repair efforts right now. Thanks.

Re: What do you guys think about the AMPROBE AM 220 VOM?

How about watching this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoeU...w&noredirect=1

Generally negative opinions from that video. Though I last watched it a few years back.

And this might help too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRd2...8&noredirect=1

General requirements for a meter for TV repair, in my opinion:
    - Fast continuity mode. Not crackly when intermittent. Good for plasma TV buffer/scan drive boards.
    - Fast autoranging response allowing connectors to be scanned quickly.
    - Will tolerate high voltage on ohms mode.
    - Rugged. Mine has been dropped a few times and still works.
    - Resolution and accuracy not critical. 4000 counts or more is nice.

I have the $99 B&K Precision BK2709B. It's lasted me nearly 4 years although the tilting stand has broken twice, so that gets a thumbs down. The magnetic clamp is extremely useful, as I can attach the meter to the back of the TV and don't have to hold it.
    Last edited by tom66; 11-23-2014, 10:14 AM.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks Tom. I can see where the fast response and continuity check performance would be important. I didn't realize a meter like the amprobe might not even have that.

The video you posted is actually where I got the idea for the amprobe He seems to conclude that it and the extech are the best choices. Would the extech come close to your BK? The extech's seem to be popular meters. I'm wondering how you know if it has the fast response?

Comment

I would also consider a meter that can measure capacitance. It will cost a bit more, but comes in handy if you're fixing laptop, t-con, etc boards where a number of surface mount caps are installed in parallel. Surface mount caps tend not to have any markings on them. Therefore, if one cap is shorted, you can remove a cap from that parallel config and measure it for it's value. Retiredcaps tends to keep up on the latest meters. Perhaps he'll see this thread and chime in.

Comment

In the video, he shows the continuity response. 29:35 for Amprobe, 29:47 for Extech.

I'd get the Extech if you're undecided between the two

Agree with jetadm on capacitance. The range has proven quite useful for testing a variety of non-electrolytic capacitors. I use it for testing poly caps on power supplies.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

tom,

does the bk you have do capacitance? I really need to save money, but there is no sense in getting the extech at 60-80 if it's going to fall short of stuff I will need now or later. However, if it can do the job, I sure need to save as much money as I can.

do these better than super cheap meters have sharp solid probes? I notice with the el-cheapo meters I have now, the probes are horrible. Tips are too dull to touch the small contacts, and they also fall apart (literally).

Comment

Yes, the BK does have capacitance. The probes that were shipped with my B&K were decent, they had these caps you could put on to make the tip only very short. However the negative probe did break after 18 months, though it's possibly because I'm quite a rough tester, it broke when pressing against a connector on a Y-sustain power connector.
              Last edited by tom66; 11-23-2014, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Hmm, well it sounds like the only "known" decent meter at 100 or less is the BK. Maybe someone else will chime in about these other meters that cost less than the BK. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                  Retiredcaps tends to keep up on the latest meters. Perhaps he'll see this thread and chime in.
                  Yes, I'm studying and researching the multimeter field right now and I am more likely to comment and participate if this post were in the "Equipment Usage, Soldering, Techniques, and Reviews" subforum.

You can also view my comments/remarks/research re multimeter/recommendations on eevblog.com/forum.
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I only recommend, or not recommend, multimeters that I personally own or have used.

I don't have a Fluke 101 so the following is a suggestion for the OP to research and consider.

For the purposes of the badcaps forum repair, the majority (probably 98% of the time) of the measurements required for repair are DCV and resistance.

We rarely require people to measure ACV and current. With that in mind, the Fluke 101 is priced $42.49 USD + free shipping on ebay currently.

Pros of the 101
                    - Fluke's cheapest handheld multimeter
                    - 6000 count - lets you see the all important 5V standby voltage with 3 digits of resolution which might be helpful if the 5V standby is slowly decaying.
                    - similar and/or probably the same quality input protection components as the high end Fluke multimeters
                    - no current measurement meaning less stress on the input jacks due to insertion/removal
                    - no current measurement means no expensive HRC fuses to blow
                    - measures capacitance up to 100uF which might come in handy as the scenario outlined by jetadm123
                    - solder and build quality are similar to high end Fluke multimeters
                    - comes with the venerable and reliable TL75 leads
                    - will easily survive any "oops" made by the user (as shown in Martin's video part 2 around the 12:45 mark).

Cons of the 101
                    - introduced in 2013 so no long term track record wrt to accuracy and reliability
                    - no current measurement
                    - no manual range button
                    - as many people will countlessly point out, other manufactures provide more "bang for buck"
                    - continuity is not as fast as the more famous and popular Fluke 80 or 170 series. Also slower than the BK 2709B.
                    - doesn't have a built in kickstand
                    - Fluke 101 is meant to be sold in China so there is NO warranty of any sort from Fluke directly for USA customers.

The Fluke TL75 probes have been around for a long time. I buy used/abused Flukes and they almost always come with the original TL75s and so far I have only had one bad one (break somewhere). The TL75 will last a long time and the tips are sharp when new.

Amprobe, Extech and BK Precision do not make their own multimeters. Amprobe's current handheld multimeter are made by Meterman, Brymen and Wavetek/Beckman. Most of the EX series from Extech are made by CEM Instruments. The BK2709B is made by CIE.

Martin has a video review of the 107. The 107 has a few more features than the 101, but otherwise are identical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv5q043MmTQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNEFn57Tzlk

There are also reviews and teardown photos of the Fluke 101, 106 and 107 on eevblog.com.
                    Last edited by retiredcaps; 11-23-2014, 10:42 PM.
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

If current measurement is required and the budget is still $60 USD, consider getting 2 multimeters. The total price is still $60 USD.

Again, I don't have this meter or used it, but the Uni-T UT136B is going for around $12.45 + free shipping (probably drop shipping despite the location being New Jersey). It does current measurement, but you have to be aware of several caveats.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgea...budget-meter!/

http://forum.solar-electric.com/show...thing-reliable
                      Last edited by retiredcaps; 11-23-2014, 10:29 PM.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

If it wasn't obvious, Fluke 101 + UT136B = $43 + $13 = $56 USD which is within the $60 budget.

With two meters, you can measure current and voltage at the same time.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Darn, I already answered this.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...71&postcount=5
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

thanks again retiredcaps! what do you think about tom's points about the speed and the reliability of the voltage measurment? also, does that fluke 101 have audible continuity check?
                            Last edited by tucocaps; 11-24-2014, 01:51 AM.

Comment

I guess I must have worded my previous question incorrectly.

In any case, thanks for the help and advice on these meters. I managed to find a BK2709B for about $85 brand new ... so in a few days this will be my new tester. Thanks in advance to tom66 for any tips on how best to use this thing!

Comment

Best meters Ive ever encountered is the Beckman Tech 300 series. Basic, --yes, no frills, no silly features, just a Digital V-A-O-M

I have a Tech 310 and its done near 30 years of service, never gone wrong, used most days these days and every day up until 10 years ago. Its been overvolted, had its fuses popped many times, dropped (Many times) and the originally grey/white plastic has gone yellow--Like an old Amiga PC.
                                It is Still Accurateto within 0.1 in comparison to a new meter on all its ranges--Not bad for 30 years of rough service!....

Grabbed a Tech 330 from fleagay a while back for a couple of quid, all nice and near new condition, still in the box, That has the continuity buzzer that my 310 doesnt....

Fast response--near instant correct readout on both Voltage and Ohms/semi ranges, (Summit they call-- Insta-Ohms but works on all ranges IME) something that ALL the others Cannot do even now it seems, from the ones Ive tested/encountered. I REALLY Don't like Autoranging Meters......
                                --Try testing a buffer-board by running down the pins with a Fluke at speed, you'll easy miss a short.
                                Beckman finds it Every time.

Got an auto-ranging Fluke--Hate the thing, and never use it, consigned to car toolbox. Got an 'expensive' cheapo all-singing/dancing thing from Maplin--even worse, and both eat batteries......

The Battery in the Beckman lasts literally for years, even if you leave it on 24/7 (Which I often do, by mistake!)....

Its just a Damned Shame Beckman no longer exist and the Co that took over no longer make multimeters......
                                Last edited by Alastair E; 11-26-2014, 05:08 PM.
                                TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
                                http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
                                PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Working...
                                X