Vizio vp422hdtv10a won't turn on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio vp422hdtv10a won't turn on

Hi all, I have a Vizio plasma when i plug it in the orange vizio light comes on and when i push the power button the vizio light turns white and i hear clicking but no picture comes up. I am not familiar with Plasma tv's but i did check the fuses and there are no bulged caps. From what i have read it sounds like power supply problems but instaed of ordering one for $50.- 80. i would like to find out whats bad if it is indeed the power supply. Hopefully the pictures will help.
    Attached Files

Re: Vizio vp422hdtv10a won't turn on

unplug the x sustain board the small board
    see if you get it to come on, im working on same tv as we speak,,

Comment

y and x board go bad in these plasmas

Comment

Thanks for the reply Xredhawk, I unplugged the x sustain and got no change. Same as before the vizio light turns white when turned on.

Comment

Did you unplug the Y sustain too?

Comment

my tv has a bad ipm on the y board

Comment

I unplugged the ysus and turned it on, No change. Plugged it back in and unplugged the xsus,No change. I do get a good spark at the connector when i unplug the tv and plug either sustain board back in. Not sure if that means anything.

Comment

Look carefully in a dark room, does the screen glow slightly?
                Do you have a DMM to test voltages?
                What model # is printed on the "panel sticker" e.g. LG ELECTRONICS PDP42K5##### MADE IN MEXICO.
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I looked in a dark room and can not see any glow at all. Yes I do have a DMM and these are the voltages I get.[LIST]
                  In standby mode / with power on
                  CN8003
                  5vsb-5.29v/5.29v
                  PS-ON. 4.07v/.409v
                  AC-DET. 5.18v/5.16v
                  D5V. .250v/5.17v
                  D5V. .250v/5.17v
                  D5V. .250v/5.17v

CN8002
                  VS-ON. 000/3.22v
                  AC-DET. 5.18v/5.16v
                  RELAY. 5.19v/117.8mv
                  D5V. .250v/5.17v
                  D5V. .250v/5.17v

CN8007-XSUS
                  VS. 000/206v
                  VS. 000/206v
                  VG. 000/14.85v

CN8006-YSUS
                  VG. 000/14.85v
                  VA. 000/53.9v
                  VS. 000/206v
                  VS.000/206v

Comment

Panel sticker says Samsung S42AX-YB04 and PP42AB031A Made in Korea

Comment

Any suggestions on this one Tom66? Do the voltages look good or is something out of line?

Comment

Voltages look OK, so next check the light on the control board and see if it is blinking about once a second or once every 5 to 7 seconds.
                        Also see if you can check -Vsc and Ve voltages.
                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

From what you described above, I doubt that the buffer boards would be the issue, but here are a couple things you can do to make sure that the buffer boards are ok.
                          Have you done a visual check on all the Ic's on the buffer boards? Can you see any holes in them? Do any of them look burnt? If you don't really know what to look for, try smelling, do you smell anything burnt on those boards when you turn the tv on??

Another basic check to make sure you upper or lower buffer board are not bad would be to completely disconnect the top one, as in unscrew it out and place it away from the tv. Then try and turning the tv on. Does half of the screen appear? if so your top buffer board is bad. If not if still blank, what you can do is the same for the lower. Place your upper buffer board back in, and then take out the lower buffer board and try again. Does the top half of your screen light up? if so your lower buffer board is bad. If not then your buffer boards should be ok, and something else should be your issue.

Comment

Tom the only green light that is lit is on the power supply and it is on steady. There is a small board under the input board, Is that what you refer to as the control board? Also where do I measure the VSC and VE? I see nothing labeled as such.
                            Nick, All the ic's are topped with a heat sink and the lower and upper are one board but I tried disconnecting the 3 upper ribbons then the 3 lower ribbons and still nothing.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Tom I can see the green light flashing steady on the board behind the input board.

Comment

Ok I found the VSC on the ysus and it reads -114.5 and the sticker says it should be -190. The VE is on the xsus and reads 94.5 and the sticker says it should be 95. What should I do from here?

Comment

If I try to adjust the VSC it doesn't change the voltage of -114.5. I disconnected the buffers/driver board and the reading is -5.45. Any ideas from here?

Comment

The green light is flashing about once every second. Where is this IPM that Xredhawk speaks of?

Comment

Control board under the input board that's OK.

No IPMs on these sets... IPMs are one module containing all the power transistors but these have separate IPMs.

If you -Vsc is that low, panel will not work properly, but some image should still be visible faintly (maldischarge: pixels not lighting, etc.), so you could have a bad buffer board.

You should try checking -Vsc with buffers out BUT check it just as it shuts down because a lot of these sets now will turn off within a few seconds of buffer removal so you need to probe that voltage as it is plugged in and see if it hits -190V then drops out.

Comment

Well tom the voltage drops immediately and now it wont come back up past -45.3v. but all other voltages are the same as before. I still have 206v on the VS going to the Ysus.

Comment

Working...
                                        X