E system 1201 FN key driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E system 1201 FN key driver?

Getting ready to throw this one out the window! E system 1201 model, came to me without a harddrive. Got Vista installed and all drivers, everything is working apart from the wireless. It's one of the models where you have to press fn + F10 before the wireless is enabled, but this doesn't seem to activate it on a clean install.

I assume a driver is missing which controls the FN key? I thought it would be part of the chipset driver but that installed fine. I've tried changing the wifi card just on the off chance, but no luck.

Any ideas how I can get this enabled? Can't even find a BIOS update for it.

Re: E system 1201 FN key driver?

'I've tried changing the wifi card just on the off chance, but no luck.'

What?
    Did you change the WiFi card?
    Many got in BIOS fn multifunction key so you need to disable it
    Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

I did change the wifi card, to a 3945 intel card. Didn't make any difference. The bios is very limited with no such options, any idea where I can get a bios update? Can't find one.

Comment

Does windows recognize wifi card ? I mean can you see it on device manager menu ?

Comment

Originally posted by tomodachi View Post
          Does windows recognize wifi card ? I mean can you see it on device manager menu ?
          Nope, nothing. I assume the card is only activated when fn + f10 is activated.

Comment

Originally posted by artois7 View Post
            Nope, nothing. I assume the card is only activated when fn + f10 is activated.

Evenif you press buttons or not wifi card must be hanging on device manager. if not then your problem is not related to Fn + F buttons, you should check PCI slot first, maybe an incompatible wifi card ? once the wifi appeared on your device manager list you will not need any driver or Fn+ F combination to enable wireless function I assume.
            Last edited by tomodachi; 10-08-2013, 03:00 PM.

Comment

no, it actually does not all the time, at least not on my dell laptop, just tested it a sec ago, my combination is Fn+F2 and bluetooth disappeared from device manager. Wifi card did stay though.

is it then driver-dependant?

Comment

Originally posted by domas View Post
                no, it actually does not all the time, at least not on my dell laptop, just tested it a sec ago, my combination is Fn+F2 and bluetooth disappeared from device manager. Wifi card did stay though.

is it then driver-dependant?
                Then yours is a driver case.

Comment

http://www.emachines.com/ec/en/US/content/home

Comment

you need this app
                    http://global-download.gateway.com/G...HINES&SC=PA_6E

Comment

What's this app. for? could you explain?
                      Thanks.

Comment

for enabling proper operation of Fn + Fxxx button combinations

Comment

Unfortunately it won't install as it's for 7 and I'm on a Vista system. Tried another from that website for Vista but it's disabled my mouse. Is there anything in particular about that version / link that applies to my laptop?

Thanks.

Comment

you must find manufacturer web site and download power managment drivers.

Comment

E system no longer offer any support for any of their products I'm afraid mate.

Comment

Originally posted by artois7 View Post
                                E system no longer offer any support for any of their products I'm afraid mate.
                                well, unless you can get the drivers second hand i guess it may have just became a part of the MFG abandoned department.....
                                Last edited by goontron; 10-11-2013, 11:13 AM.
                                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Why not just install Win7 and problem solved?...

On a side note, many e-machines and Packard Bell laptops are acer re-brands (not sure it applies to e-system), but might be worth finding the compatible acer model and test hotkey SW from acer..
                                  Galaxy S6 Edge x2 (Gold&White)
                                  Asus GL552VW-i7 6700HQ|GTX 960M|15.6"FHD|16GB DDR4|512GB M.2 SSD+1TB SSD
                                  Clevo W230SD - i7 4710MQ|GTX960M|13"QHD+|16GB DDR3L|500GB+256GB mSATA SSD+1TB HDD

Try Harder!

Comment

Solution:

Thanks to those who contributed. In the end it was nothing to do with the FN key driver; I ended up reinstalling the original wireless card ( I upgraded it to an Intel device originally, which wasn't even picked up by the system) then managed to find drivers for the RTL8187b which works.

Comment

Working...
                                    X