Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

magnavox 39MF412B/F7 problem

Got this set for a song. The symptoms are:
    No picture (black) backlight working, remote working, and have sound.
    I figured it was a tcon fuse or board problem.
    The power supply is fine too.
    This set is the first I have seen in this size with an integrated TCON board. I am pretty sure that's the problem because there is 12V to the tcon (at the plug) but the area where the board is doesn't even get warm.
    Electrotanya doesn't have the manual. Does anyone have a manual or know how to remove the tcon? Iwas thinking there might be a fuse on it.

Re: magnavox 39MF412B/F7 problem

Perhaps you can post a picture of the boards in the back? Magnavox is just a lg / Philips brand so we may recognize similarities to another set. You cant see at all where the LVDS cable runs? or you can see it clearly going to one of the thin boards around the edge of TV? Usually on really cheap sets they integrate the tcon into the mainboard (youd see flat ribbon cables coming out of the mainboard), but I assume you can tell its not one of those?
    Fixed so far 12 lcd's , 1 plasmas, 5 monitors, 0 dlp's (plan to keep the dlps at 0). and 3 atx power supplies, and 2 motherboards.

Comment

Newer Magnavox are just outsourced, just like newer budget Philips. 39" reeks of a Chimei/Chungwha panel size.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

here are some pictures. When I shine a light at the connector going into the panel, I can see a white sm component that looks lile a fuse.
        Even the inverters are inside the panel, and it is a chimei panel.
        Attached Files

Comment

I would say the majority of the tcon is built into the mainboard. But hopefully tom can comment on that. Ive never seen a model like this.

Usually you need something like 100 connections going from the tcon to the panel. They have some really densely packed ribbons on some sets, but only having 1 seems odd. You could unseat the ribbon and see if they are .5 mm spaced connections / and if so then the mainboard and tcon are combined.
          Last edited by cashkennedy; 05-30-2013, 01:26 PM.
          Fixed so far 12 lcd's , 1 plasmas, 5 monitors, 0 dlp's (plan to keep the dlps at 0). and 3 atx power supplies, and 2 motherboards.

Comment

This is LVDS straight to panel board, which then sends signals to the driver chips (T-con is on panel boards.) Panel boards aren't replaceable.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Well then , you can take the set further apart and get to the panel boards, just be very carefull not to bend / flex the lcd panel, as they are very fragile with no frame attached. Once you can get to the panel boards around the panel you can see if there are any bad fuses, but no guarantee that what tripped the fuse the first time will not blow it again.

Comment

I was thinking of buying a new main board for $30 but since Tom thinks the TCON is in the panel, I'll probably strip it for parts.

Comment

The way I know there is no T-con stuff on main board is there's no gamma IC on the main board. Do try to check for cold joints and fuses on the panel boards, because they can still be repaired in situ.

Comment

Well, I found the problem! I took the panel apart to get to the TCON, and found that there was no 12V on the board. There was 12V at the end of the cable. After wiggling the cable around, It came up. I was going to try another LVDS cable since De-oxit didn't help, but when I put the bezel back on, the speaker came out of it's bracket and cracked the screen.

Comment

Working...
                    X