Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Electronics Theory and Troubleshooting > Troubleshooting TVs and Video Sources
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
rojasj

City & State: Torrance
My Country: United States
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Samsung HPS5053X/XAA No pic or sound

Hello,

Have had this TV for a few years now, and for a while it has been having an issue with picture and sound. I didn't think of trying to salvage it until now.

TV purchased late '04. Had issues in '09 where there would be intermittent no picture with sound. Covered by extended warranty, a part was replaced, and it worked.

Prior to it completely going out of service this time it would show as not coming up with any picture, but with sound (like the previous instance), but now it is no picture or sound.

From the tech's comments on the reciept from the previous failure;
PART FAILURE: SHORT OUT LOW BUFFER PANEL, DEAD STAC RESEARCH ORDER
92 192STAC1 1

Model number: HPS5053X/XAA

I opened up the back panel, and found the following component (google says it's a Y buffer) with what seems to be burnt out.

My questions are:
1) Could this be the Y-buffer that could be causing the issue?
I checked to see if there were any more visibly burned out circuits but I didn't see any.
2) Any troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue or find out what it is?

Thank you!
rojasj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
johnboy1313
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Midwest
My Country: USA
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: Samsung HPS5053X/XAA No pic or sound

It's likely that the blown buffer took out the Y-main board too. Other than bringing this back to the top, that's really all the help I can offer.
johnboy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:02 AM   #3
tom66
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Leeds (University)
My Country: UK
Line Voltage: 230Vac 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Default Re: Samsung HPS5053X/XAA No pic or sound

It usually turns out that the Y-main failure is what kills the buffer, but a bad buffer on these models has the chance of killing the Y-main, too.

57 LED/LCD TVs, 5 monitors, 16 plasma TVs, and 2 AVR 6.1 amplifiers saved from the dump!
Totally free service manuals database: http://www.toms-service-manuals.com/ (Contact me for requests or contributions.)

I have successfully fixed (from best --> worst build quality):
7 Panasonic LCD/Plasmas, 1 NEC Plasma, 2 Yamaha HTS, 4 Sharp LCDs, 4 Toshiba LCDs, 5 Philips Plasma/LCD, 1 Hitachi Plasma, 7 LG LCD/Plasma, 13 Samsung LED/LCD/Plasma, 1 Thomson Plasma, 1 Atec LCD, 1 Hanspree LCD, 1 Xerox LCD, 1 Harwa LCD, 2 Proview LCD, 2 Hyundai LCD, 1 "Onn" LCD, 1 Grundig LCD, 1 Dell LCD, 1 iiyama LCD, 1 Acer LED, 1 Logik LCD, 6 Bush LCDs, 15 Vestel LCDs
tom66 is offline   Reply With Quote