Guitar amp hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guitar amp hum

Guitar amp is humming. It's just a solid state amp. Music still comes through. Hums regardless of wether i plug a guitar in or not. My house wiring is fine, it sounds the same no matter where i plug in, and power conditioner does not help. Are my AC filter capacitors failing?

Re: Guitar amp hum

The main rectifier filters would be my first suspect.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Is the hum affected by the master volume control? If so, the problem is probably between the signal input and the amplifier circuits. If not, something is probably wrong with the amplifier circuit itself, or a defective ground.

I had a guitar amp that had a loud buzz, but it wasn't affected by the volume control. Oddly, the volume control still affected the volume of the input (you could hear the guitar volume changing), but not the hiss and buzz coming out of the speaker. It turned out to have a defective grounding in the amplifier circuitry.
      You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

yeah the volume does not affect the hum, but otherwise still controls the guitar volume normally.
        my capacitors (two large Rubicon 2200uf 35v) don't show any obvious signs of failure,
        but the amp definately sounds like AC or something is coming through to the speaker.
        oh and every time I turn it off there is a loud POP from the speaker.
        i really want to think there is some deffect in the manufacturing, because this amp isn't that old.

Comment

Nice SG; can't tell whether it's a bass or a guitar. Sounds like a AC filter cap. Do you have access to an oscilloscope? That would let you look at the ripple on the supply voltages (a DMM might even suffice). If it's not the supply caps, look for broken wires and loose circuit board mounting screws (you could always blame that on a roadie) which could mess up a ground connection.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

What brand/model is it?

Comment

it's a Jay Turser Classic 25rc. It's just a little 25watt solid state but besides the hum i really like the sound. I got it brand new a couple years ago and as far as I can remember it's done this since I got. I got a deal on it cause it was a floor model so I'm wondering if either it got damaged from people trying it or if they used it for the model because it had this problem.

That SG is actually just a low-end model bass. I played for my dad's church band for awhile it was the church's for what it was and what they got it for it actually played and sounded really nice.
              Last edited by joshdaniels713; 11-07-2006, 03:14 PM.

Comment

its most likley the filters off the rectifier. they cheap. replace them.

Comment

Working...
                X