So what killed these caps???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what killed these caps???

Saw this thread on another forum, obvously.. Looks like a Desktop P4 notebook, just from what i can see, with United Chemicon caps, of which more than a couple are either domed or blown.

Counterfeit UCC caps, or overheated??

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...m/686002051831

Re: So what killed these caps???

Electrolytic caps in a notebook - what a crap... The temperatures with desktop CPU in such a small area are extreme. You'll find only tantalums and oscons in quality notebooks.

Comment

The swollen brown UCCs are KZGs; the green ones that are OK are KZE.
      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Hr hr hr this is realy a bad idear to use KZG in an laptop. Probably the enginers are all fired at this company or the manager`s are a little too megalomaniac.

Comment

KZG is so cheap, you know..
          days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

This is a Clevo 888e motherboard used by Sager NP8880, NP8886, and NP8887 and Alienware Area51m.

I recognize this because I just pulled apart my own laptop and found leaking caps none of mine are bulged though. System will no longer post.
            The brown caps are KZG 2200uF 6.3V 10x20mm
            The green caps are KZE 470uF 35V 10x20mm

Comment

Did both types leak? Or just those of one series or the other? I suspect (without actual data) that laptops have fair-marginal cooling (plus some users do scary stuff from an airflow POV), so the KZGs in the link above seem to have not handled the hot ambient of a laptop very well.
              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Alienware Area51m - Nice... further proof that they overcharge for run of the mill crap.
                Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

The KZG are the bad ones on my board. Talking to other users of these laptops it seems pretty common for both sets to begin leaking / bulging. There are a couple of the KZE which are suspect also. I plan to recap the entire board. 14 KZGs and 11 KZEs. Nothing appears smoked.

The laptop is 4 years old. 24/7 usage. The airflow on these is actually pretty good. CPU temps always stay in the low 40's. Mine is a P4 2.8Ghz 533Mhz.

Comment

I would suggest some good oscon or imilar solid plymer caps. May be some good ceramic or tantalum caps could be well suited too.

Comment

Working...
                    X