Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > General Topics > Off Topic / Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
shovenose
Michael S.

City & State: Fairfax, California
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 1080P
I'm a: Forum Junkie
Default Mini Review: Lenovo Ideapad P400 Touch - Core i7M, 8GB, 1TB, 1600x900 Touchscreen, W8

Got a new laptop today. Just going to post a mini review; possibly will make a full review on Hardware Insights or my personal blog if I have time but I doubt I do.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-...ouch&cp=1&lp=1

At $749.99 this seemed like a great deal. They even through in one year of Kaspersky Internet Security for 3 PCs

Intel Core i7-3632QM CPU with Intel HD4000 Graphics. The CPU is the latest Ivy Bridge, and is Quad Core, but due to HyperThreading it has 8 cores.

8GB of DDR3 PC3-12800 by "Ramaxel Technology" according to CPU-Z.

1TB 2.5" SATA 1TB HDD. But WHY 5400RPM???? Stupid Lenovo! Give me 500GB at 7200RPM instead!! Next Purchase: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147193

The display is one of the main reasons I chose this laptop. It's 1600x900. I can't stand 1366x768 because it's totally crappy. On the other hand, this high resolution display is excellent. Could be a bit brighter at full brightness though.

The sound is decent for a laptop even though my friend Chris who is good with sound stuff made a custom EQ profile for it, that makes the internal speakers sound very nice. Still, they're laptop speakers, so they're still tinny, especially at higher volumes.

Overall build quality is good. It is a nice design, not too fat, not lumpy, and it doesn't feel cheap at all. However, the keyboard does sort of dip or bend when you press keys or whatever you call it. Disappointing for a Lenovo; my Ideapad V570 didn't do it noticeably. Also this keyboard maintains the same key shape as the V570 however they feel very different. Not better or worse, just gonna take some getting used to. It's great the keyboard is backlit. Unfortuntely the backlight is on or off, I couldn't find any way to adjust its brightness, and it is almost a little too bright. Even though it's way better than not having a backlight.

The trackpad sucks. Total piece of shit and it is a letdown. Loved the trackpad on my Lenovo V570; why did they have to make this suck? They can obviously make a great trackpad Perhaps they made it shitty on purpose so that people are encouraged to use the touchscreen?

Talking about the touchscreen, it is very accurate. Not very useful, but a great thing to brag about and in cases such as right now when the trackpad is being horrible, it comes in handy.

This obviously isn't a gaming laptop, however the HD4000 can do quite well. It can play Minecraft on far render distance better than any other laptop I've played it on. Gonna try GTA next... just don't want to start the download tonight. Even on a 36Mbps internet connection it's a slow process.

Lenovo didn't put too much bloatware. Took less than 10 minutes to get it on there. Power2Go, McAfee, and FreeRide Games were the ovious offenders.

Windows 8. I like it, except I hate the hot corners. Disabled with Pokki

Maybe I'll add some more tomorrow if I feel like it. If you have any specific questions let me know! There is very little information about this laptop on the web, so perhaps it will help somebody who is considering it.

Thanks for reading any happy capping!
-shovenose

Last edited by shovenose; 03-01-2013 at 12:19 AM..
shovenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
dontbesademokid

City & State: NC
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: Mini Review: Lenovo Ideapad P400 Touch - Core i7M, 8GB, 1TB, 1600x900 Touchscreen

I am considering buying this, mostly because it is a decent price at bestbuy currently. Read the few reviews on their website and most of the buyers have complained about the screen not being bright enough; is that really an issue? One reviewer went as far as to say not to install an update offered.
How would you rate the battery life of this laptop, since as you said reviews are lacking?
Thoughts, opinions.

Thanks in advance.
dontbesademokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
lti
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Windsor, Colorado
My Country: United States
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Re: Mini Review: Lenovo Ideapad P400 Touch - Core i7M, 8GB, 1TB, 1600x900 Touchscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovenose View Post
1TB 2.5" SATA 1TB HDD. But WHY 5400RPM???? Stupid Lenovo! Give me 500GB at 7200RPM instead!!
The 5400RPM drives are cheaper, as you know. They can use a higher capacity drive and keep the total price of the computer the same while appealing to the people who think they need as much storage space as they can afford.
Quote:
The display is one of the main reasons I chose this laptop. It's 1600x900. I can't stand 1366x768 because it's totally crappy.
1366x768 does suck. I fixed an ancient 17" LCD just for the extra vertical resolution.
Quote:
The trackpad sucks. Total piece of shit and it is a letdown.
Is it made by Synaptics?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbesademokid View Post
One reviewer went as far as to say not to install an update offered.
It looks like one of the driver updates has issues. I don't update drivers unless the update fixes a problem I am having because of the unbelievably high possibility that something else gets broken.
lti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
shovenose
Michael S.

@dontbesademokid (Hope I spelled that right).
The display isn't super bright, but coming from the really crappy screen on my Lenovo V570 it's still a significant improvement. I'd say it's good enough, especially for what you get at the price.
Battery life is better than my Lenovo V570. I know that's not a helpful comparison, but I'd say it's only slightly worse than when I had a MacBook Air in early 2012.

@lti yup Synaptics. but the Synaptics in my previous Lenovo was awesome.

Oh and another thing about this laptop... IT HAS NO GIGABIT ETHERNET?!?!??!?! 100Mbps Fast Ethernet only WTF?!?!??! But I still highly recommend it
Old 03-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
shovenose
Michael S.

Old laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad V570)
Attached Images
File Type: png old.png (25.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
shovenose
Michael S.

New Laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad P400 Touch)
Attached Images
File Type: png new.png (25.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
texag09

City & State: Houston, tx

Any updates on what you think of it? I'm looking at getting one for medical school and I had a few questions:

How is the screen brightness?
How is the screen viewing angles?
Do you have any problem picking up wireless access points or maintaining a connection?

I recently had to return a Sony Vaio Fit because I had problems with the wifi.

Thanks
texag09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
ratdude747
Black Sheep

City & State: New Albany, IN
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Send a message via Yahoo to ratdude747 Send a message via Skype™ to ratdude747

He sold it to me actually. Currently in the mail.

I'll chime in when I get it... in the mean time he may have an answer.

(Insert signature here)
ratdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
texag09

I appreciate it. A big reason why I'm interested in the laptop is that screen resolution. My next option if I decide not to go with this is to look for a used/refurbished Lenovo Yoga 13.

Also, if you could let me know the average boot time, the average resume from standby time, and just any thoughts that come to mind when you get it.

Any idea when it'll be getting to you?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
ratdude747
Black Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by texag09 View Post
I appreciate it. A big reason why I'm interested in the laptop is that screen resolution. My next option if I decide not to go with this is to look for a used/refurbished Lenovo Yoga 13.

Also, if you could let me know the average boot time, the average resume from standby time, and just any thoughts that come to mind when you get it.

Thanks
USPS tracking claims that I'll have it Wednesday, 8/14/13.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
shovenose
Michael S.

Quote:

Thanks
I should be able to answer some of these questions.

The 1600x900 was one main reason for me choosing this computer. It's much better than 1366x768... Colors of it is mediocre but resolution is great.

Average boot time is poor due to 5400RPM disk but Win8 is definitely faster than Win7 in boot up.

Resume from standby time is excellent - about a quarter of a second

I'd for a Yoga 13 if you can afford it - the IPS screen is better than the non-IPS screen of the Lenovo P400.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
texag09

Quote:
I should be able to answer some of these questions.

The 1600x900 was one main reason for me choosing this computer. It's much better than 1366x768... Colors of it is mediocre but resolution is great.

Average boot time is poor due to 5400RPM disk but Win8 is definitely faster than Win7 in boot up.

Resume from standby time is excellent - about a quarter of a second

I'd for a Yoga 13 if you can afford it - the IPS screen is better than the non-IPS screen of the Lenovo P400.
Thanks for the feedback. Another question though. How was your wifi performance? The Sony Vaio I had was great, but in areas where my cell phone could pick up multiple different access points easily, I could only pick up 1 or 2, or sometimes none at all. And then I'd have a problem where the wifi would frequently disconnect and reconnect, and if you got more than 15-20 feet from the AP the speed would drop from 20+ Mbps to 2-3 Mbps. While googling, it appears that laptops from Lenovo and Asus also have similar problems, so I was wondering if this one had those issues.

The only thing about the Yoga is that you only get 60-70 usable GB of harddrive space, and having an optical drive would be a big plus for me. But, I'm going to keep checking out the Lenovo outlet and see if I can get a refurbished one. Supposedly they can be had for $500 at times.

Thanks again.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #13
shovenose
Michael S.

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Another question though. How was your wifi performance? The Sony Vaio I had was great, but in areas where my cell phone could pick up multiple different access points easily, I could only pick up 1 or 2, or sometimes none at all. And then I'd have a problem where the wifi would frequently disconnect and reconnect, and if you got more than 15-20 feet from the AP the speed would drop from 20+ Mbps to 2-3 Mbps. While googling, it appears that laptops from Lenovo and Asus also have similar problems, so I was wondering if this one had those issues.

The only thing about the Yoga is that you only get 60-70 usable GB of harddrive space, and having an optical drive would be a big plus for me. But, I'm going to keep checking out the Lenovo outlet and see if I can get a refurbished one. Supposedly they can be had for $500 at times.

Thanks again.
Well, WiFi was alright. It was buggy on a couple access points but only bizarre ones (the badly configured unified Cisco APs at school even though I blame the incompetent NUSD for that more than the laptop)

What do you needs a disc drive for? Operating systems can installed from USB, you can use NoCD cracks on games that want the disc or simply buy them from Steam since it's cheaper anyway usually.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #14
mathog
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
My son's Lenovo showed up yesterday and I spent an hour or so removing the crapware from it, and did not finish. I really did not like it when the system first started up and it said "Norton is available, do you want to use it?", and I clicked NO, and it ran it anyway! It also comes preloaded with MS Office 2010, but no permanent license, so that needs to go next.

Anyway, this one too has a 5400 drive, but in addition it has a small Sandisk SSD, either 16 or 32 GB, I don't recall which off hand. The SSD lets it boots very quickly. Oddly, shutting down takes much longer than booting.

It has a little SIM card like thing in the battery bay, with a plastic pull tab on it. Completely undocumented in the setup sheet. Apparently it has something to do with an optional card to let the computer onto cell phone networks. Left it in place and nothing bad happened.

The laptop itself does not get very warm, but the power brick becomes unpleasantly hot. It will not surprise me at all if that goes up in smoke at some point.

The 1600 x 900 screen is nice but the default font is way too small for these old eyes. I didn't change the setting though, because I'm sure it will be fine for my son.
mathog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #15
texag09

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathog View Post
My son's Lenovo showed up yesterday
Was it the P400 Touch from Best Buy?
Old 08-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #16
mathog
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Was it the P400 Touch from Best Buy?
No, it was a ThinkPad T430 submodel 2342CTO, bought with the academic discount directly from Lenovo.
mathog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #17
Uranium-235
Radioactive

City & State: tehas
My Country: US
I'm a: Professional Tech

there is one thing I DON'T like about my laptop, which is the non-synapitics touchpad. I miss chiral scrolling soo much

I have an i5....but a GT 730, which can play skyrim beautifully. If i'm on battery, I can play AOE3 or AOM or max payne 2 on the HD 4000 wonderfully and save battery life

no touchscreen, but a 17.3" screen, full keyboard. Dolby sound bar

I'm half tempted to find a 772G touchpad bar (on the 772G its aluminum, not plastic). But I bet the hardware ID's are controller embedded, not touchpad embedded

got it newegg $529 open-box

Last edited by Uranium-235; 08-09-2013 at 09:11 PM..
Uranium-235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:45 AM   #18
ratdude747
Black Sheep

It's here (well, it was yesterday morning... )

Here's some overall impressions... and some mini-teardown pictures (I took the base cover off to inspect some stuff and the like).

First, some things to note (what stands out to me):

-XP x32 support is non-existant. The touchscreen and MEI (not of use unless you're corporate) won't work; the latter will if you use touch-base's synapatics "large touchscreen" driver, which is currently priced at $218 for a single full driver (no joke). The other stuff, minus webcam, lenovo has nothing, but Iwas able to find drivers for elsewhere (if anybody wants a copy of it all, PM/email me). The webcam driver was bundled with 4 other webcam drivers, and the default (azurewave) was the wrong one (chicony). Despite that, all else *seems* to work on XP x32.
- The keyboard is a bit bouncy... but for a chiclet keyboard, it's good. The backlights are good and very helpful. No num-lock either, which I'm glad to see go (how handy was that really... they make USB keypads for a reason).
- The display is awesome. No complaits other than being glossy, which combined with a touch screen, leads to fingerprints galore. Still, the gloss really make the display look good when it's clean.
-The lack of I/O is a bit sad... I looked, and comapred to may last "bought it when it was on the market" machine, an ASUS eee 1000HEb, had the same I/o counts (minus this having HDMI and one USB being 3.0). For a full laptop, a little more would have been nice... i will admit though that fitting more would be a challenge w/o ching the dimensions or hinge type.
-The condensation of the headphone and mic jacks into one smartphone-style port is handy. given how easy they are to come by, I think for a modern laptop, it's the way to go.

Here's my teardown notes and quasi-vague directions:

To remove base:

1. Remove two long skinny screws from the center of the base. Open the lid and insert a long, narrow, and bunt object into one of the holes to pop free the keyboard. Remove the two ribbon cables by flipping open the latches on the connectors (props for using flip connectors, I hate the sliding type).

2. Remove the single screw behind the center of the optical drive, under the keyboard and under a warranty stcker. If you care about your warranty, peel back the sticker gently; I was able to do so w/o breaking the sticker. *disclaimer: this is the point of no return, so commit or quit* Pull out the optical drive.

3. Remove the 4 remaining screws under the keyboard. Also remove the 2 screws under the rear base feet (one per foot, same size as previous 4), three from the front of the base (smaller), and 3 under the optical bay (even smaller). Carefully remove the base; it's held on by clips. They make special tools for this (spledger IIRC); however, I hear cheap guitar picks work too.

from there, you have access to all the normally user replaceables (Battery, RAM, HDD) and in addition, the wLAN/BT, the CPU, and (if equipped) GPU.

Here's what my undercarriage looks like:

Where the GPU goes:

while I was there, I decided to clean the cooling... the thermal compound used was still silvery and tacky, so I kept it. It was very clean, what I'd expect from a nearly-new used unit.

I did notice something: the slobs at lenovo didn't tighten half the screws!

No, really. For one, the screws under the rear feet were not even installed, just sitting in the well (loctite blob was untouched) and the HDD screws were loose, one about to fall out:

It's all better now...but seriously?

The HDD label:

Yuck. Samshit. Looks like an xmas time SSD upgrade my be coming... especially if Samsung is still as unreliable as they used to be with HDDs.

The RAM:

Comments or questions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8130129.JPG (909.1 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg P8130131.JPG (901.1 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg P8130133.JPG (840.9 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg P8130134.JPG (811.9 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg P8130136.JPG (877.9 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by ratdude747; 08-14-2013 at 11:20 AM..
Old 08-14-2013, 06:13 AM   #19
c_hegge
Super Moderator

City & State: North Coast, NSW
My Country: Australia
Line Voltage: 240V 50Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude747 View Post
The HDD label:

Seagate
FTFY. New samsung HDDs are just rebadged Seagates. Note the seagate website at the top, and that the model number begins with ST (always a giveaway if a Seagate built HDD)

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 4x 250GB HDD (2 in RAID 1), 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro
c_hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #20
ratdude747
Black Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_hegge View Post
FTFY. New samsung HDDs are just rebadged Seagates. Note the seagate website at the top, and that the model number begins with ST (always a giveaway if a Seagate built HDD)
Duh. Ich bin sehr dumm.

(translation: I feel really dumb).