Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung LN52A550 - clicking. Eeprom or something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung LN52A550 - clicking. Eeprom or something else?

Hello,
    I acquired a Samsung LN52A550 (actually a LN52A550P3FXZA).
    It's a 52" 1080P Model and the version is SQ01
    Looks like someone replaced the power supply capacitors with new SamYoung and Samwha units. They used the correct voltage and capacitance.
    I took these caps out and used low esr Panasonic and Rubycon 105C caps.
    The tv initially turned on with good picture and sound had all the correct voltages on the power supply but after a while (1/2 hour) it quit. The set showed the red blinking power light and clicking relay (every 25 seconds).
    I was able to get it to start again by just letting it cycle. This time it lasted a shorter time before failing. Now it won't restart.
    Indicator in the center of the set is on and the blinking light and relay is cycling again. Nothing looks damaged on the power supply or main board and the voltages on the main board connector are good.
    I've found on the net that some Samsung models will show a similar symptom if the eeprom is corrupted. The eeprom mentioned has the markings "2EB 1" and is actually an Atmel 24c256.
    I'm wondering if I have the same problem. My main board is a BN97-01985V and I found an eeprom with the same designation at IC204 on the upper left of center on the top side of the main board.
    I found other parts on the backside of the main board at locations IC1000, IC1001 and IC1003. These are marked ATMLH822 02B1 These are all roughly in the center of the board. Sorry, no photo of the back of the board yet.

Has anyone seen the problem where the eeprom is corrupt, lets the tv turn on then shuts down after some time?

Can this be a common problem on this model?

By the way when it shuts down it isn't pretty. Sometimes various patterns on the video image or no video just colors. Also can have a loud audio pop or whine before it quits. If it restarts the picture, sound, menu, etc. are fine.

The other question is about IC204. Is this the eeprom that is responsible? I plan on changing it and not trying to short out pins 5 and 6.
    Have to order it tomorrow, so I wanted some expert opinions.
    I don't know what the other ATMEL parts might be for on the back side.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung LN52A550 - clicking. Eeprom or something else?

After recapping any Samsung this is recommended:

US sets: Power into standby mode, Mute, 1, 8, 2, Power
    European sets: Power into standby mode, Info, Menu, Mute, Power

then select reset
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

tom66,

Thanks for the information regarding the reset.
      I'm in the process of getting the original remote control so if I can get it to quit cycling I'll perform the reset.
      Any idea why this is recommended? Is it noise from the defective caps in the power supply that writes bad values into the eeprom?
      I was unaware that a reset is recommended after a recap - what about other manufacturers?
      Thanks,
      Mike

Comment

Yes, I believe as it is cycling it begins writing data into the memory, when it cuts out the data is corrupted mid-write so the TV can be confused and can have odd or incorrect settings, which can sometimes cause it to fail to boot.

I don't know about others. Some do not have reset options readily available.
        Last edited by tom66; 01-14-2013, 07:47 AM.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hello Mike, what was the outcome of this issue with your TV? More specifically IC204 replacement. Im working on the same model set with the same problem. All caps on the power board have been replaced and still have clicking relay approximately every 30 seconds.
          Originally posted by mu2 View Post
          Hello,
          I acquired a Samsung LN52A550 (actually a LN52A550P3FXZA).
          It's a 52" 1080P Model and the version is SQ01
          Looks like someone replaced the power supply capacitors with new SamYoung and Samwha units. They used the correct voltage and capacitance.
          I took these caps out and used low esr Panasonic and Rubycon 105C caps.
          The tv initially turned on with good picture and sound had all the correct voltages on the power supply but after a while (1/2 hour) it quit. The set showed the red blinking power light and clicking relay (every 25 seconds).
          I was able to get it to start again by just letting it cycle. This time it lasted a shorter time before failing. Now it won't restart.
          Indicator in the center of the set is on and the blinking light and relay is cycling again. Nothing looks damaged on the power supply or main board and the voltages on the main board connector are good.
          I've found on the net that some Samsung models will show a similar symptom if the eeprom is corrupted. The eeprom mentioned has the markings "2EB 1" and is actually an Atmel 24c256.
          I'm wondering if I have the same problem. My main board is a BN97-01985V and I found an eeprom with the same designation at IC204 on the upper left of center on the top side of the main board.
          I found other parts on the backside of the main board at locations IC1000, IC1001 and IC1003. These are marked ATMLH822 02B1 These are all roughly in the center of the board. Sorry, no photo of the back of the board yet.

Has anyone seen the problem where the eeprom is corrupt, lets the tv turn on then shuts down after some time?

Can this be a common problem on this model?

By the way when it shuts down it isn't pretty. Sometimes various patterns on the video image or no video just colors. Also can have a loud audio pop or whine before it quits. If it restarts the picture, sound, menu, etc. are fine.

The other question is about IC204. Is this the eeprom that is responsible? I plan on changing it and not trying to short out pins 5 and 6.
          Have to order it tomorrow, so I wanted some expert opinions.
          I don't know what the other ATMEL parts might be for on the back side.

Thanks,
          Mike

Comment

Hi,

I had to replace the main board in that set to solve the problem. I had another Samsung - exactly the same model where the eeprom replacement worked.
            Keep in mind that if you replace the chip you will have to get into the service menu and set different parameters - the set will NOT work correctly if you neglect this step. As an example, there are two tuners used in various productions runs of the main board. If the wrong one is selected in the service menu you won't get any air or cable channels!
            At the very least you need to document the various parameters shown in the menus and sub menus of the service menu before changing the eeprom. Do an eeprom reset in the service menu and then go back in and set the parameters.
            If you don't know how to do this - don't just change the chip and expect it to work.

Mike

Comment

Hi, I have this model ln52a550. TV would power cycle with screeching noise and vertical lines. I tried various fixes but still happening. My last attempt fixed the problem at least for a week so far. I unplugged the tv while problem occurring, held the power button for a minute unplugged all video connections and reinstalled firmware. Turned on TV and it seems to be working. I tried these steps individually before but without success. I thought maybe EEPROM problem but was reluctant to try short fix. The capacitors on power board were already replaced. Not sure if this will come back again. Any ideas. Thanks. Dave.

Comment

Hi,
                I was reading your post about solving the problem by reinstalling the firmware. I have a Ln46a550 with a similar issue. How do you go about reinstalling firmware?
                Thank you,
                Bob

Comment

You can try connecting 100uF 10V LOW ESR in parallel with C102 to see if it will work better.
                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=129

I did that on the 32, 37, and the 46, so far they are still running for two weeks now.
                  Last edited by budm; 01-06-2015, 09:42 PM.
                  Never stop learning
                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I will try this and let you know how it goes.
                    Regards,
                    Bob

Comment

not sure, but it may have been the firmware reinstall that worked, sometimes the first try doesn't work, they do suggest unplug all video connections hdmi, component, rca.

Comment

anyone know how to get firmware, tried samsung, but the greedy bass terds won't give any firmware out for anything prior to 2011, weather you paid 3 grand or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Dbcunningham View Post
                          Hi, I have this model ln52a550. TV would power cycle with screeching noise and vertical lines. I tried various fixes but still happening. My last attempt fixed the problem at least for a week so far. I unplugged the tv while problem occurring, held the power button for a minute unplugged all video connections and reinstalled firmware. Turned on TV and it seems to be working. I tried these steps individually before but without success. I thought maybe EEPROM problem but was reluctant to try short fix. The capacitors on power board were already replaced. Not sure if this will come back again. Any ideas. Thanks. Dave.
                          is your tv older than 2011, thanks?
                          Last edited by nomoresonys; 01-07-2015, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Mine is 2008. Do you have any info for this model year?

Comment

Firmware for L5 series:
                              http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...ct/LN52A550P3F
                              Upgrade guide (Firmware) ver.1.0 - All OS (EN, 0.28 MB) ? Sep 10, 2008
                              DOWNLOAD (PDF)
                              Upgrade File (Firmware) ver.1005.1 - All OS (EN, 13.35 MB) ? Sep 10, 2008
                              DOWNLOAD (EXE)
                              Upgrade File (Firmware) ver.1006.1 - All OS (EN, 13.37 MB) ? Sep 10, 2008
                              DOWNLOAD (EXE)
                              Open Source Guide (Firmware) ver.1.0 - Linux (EN, 0.3 MB) ? Feb 22, 2010
                              DOWNLOAD (PDF)
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by budm; 01-07-2015, 12:15 PM.
                              Never stop learning
                              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow.../LNS4051DX/XAA found this but no firmware available, there must be some someplace.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                                  http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow.../LNS4051DX/XAA found this but no firmware available, there must be some someplace.
                                  looks like another needle in a haystack type of situation.

Comment

I just got it. Click "See More" under the PDF under downloads.

Comment

mine isn't there or they hid it really well.

Comment

Your link is not correct. Use the one Budm specified.
                                        http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...ct/LN52A550P3F

I upgraded my firmware but the problem still exists. I've ordered 2 new switchmode regulators and the caps. Hopefully they will solve the problem.

Thank you Budm for all of your help!!

Bob

Comment

Working...
                                        X