Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Electronics Theory and Troubleshooting > Power Supply Design and Troubleshooting
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
goodpsusearch
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Thessaloniki, Greece
My Country: Greece
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Shame on you Corsair! (Capxon)

I suggested this power supply to a friend (Corsair Builder Series CX430 V2 430W) after reading reviews online and being aware that it uses non japanese capacitors, for example Teapo and Samxon. I am ok with those brands, they rarely fail. But, as you can see from the photos I took without voiding the warranty, there is at least 1 Capxon inside...

Well, at least it offers a 3 year warranty... Let's see if it will be needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (413.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (423.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (475.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (634.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (330.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (247.1 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (231.3 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (243.9 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (279.2 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (290.2 KB, 117 views)
goodpsusearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
kc8adu
Super Moderator

City & State: dayton ohio
Default Re: Shame on you Corsair! (Capxon)

a friend brought one of those in a while back when the system acted up.
wasnt the problem(bad hdd) but noted the crapxons.we know whats coming.curious to see how long it takes.
kc8adu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:38 AM   #3
c_hegge
Super Moderator

City & State: North Coast, NSW
My Country: Australia
Line Voltage: 240V 50Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech

Corsair should indeed be ashamed!!

Bear in mind that the samxons used in the CX430 are GF series, which are defective.

I just took a Delta PSU from an Acer PC home. The caps were mostly Aishi and LTEC, but the one capxon (on the 5v rail) was vented.

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 4x 250GB HDD (2 in RAID 1), 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Last edited by c_hegge; 08-30-2012 at 02:41 AM..
c_hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Pentium4
CapXon Be Gone

City & State: Seattle
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hardcore Geek

nooooooo that poor PSU. Hopefully it stays cool and doesn't die within the hour
Pentium4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
goodpsusearch
Badcaps Veteran

Channel well technology sucks! First, they used fuhjyyu, especially in Antec branded psus.

Now they use Capxon. Will they ever learn??
Old 08-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Student Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodpsusearch View Post
Well, at least it offers a 3 year warranty... Let's see if it will be needed.
You bet!
Or if not, it will probably last just a day over the warranty.

Looks like that green CapXon (GL series??) is on the 5VSB rail. Great! So it's being under constant "stress" as long as the PSU is plugged in.

I also saw that some of the other green caps had "GF" written on them. Samxon probably?

Yes, I have a feeling we will be seeing these units back in for repair again. Corsair should be ashamed, indeed.
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
goodpsusearch
Badcaps Veteran

This power supply costs 48euros. For that price I was expecting better...
Old 08-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
rogfanther
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Curitiba
My Country: Brazil
Line Voltage: 127VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker

I will open another thread later, with inside pictures, but after I researched a little, after a bunch of Corsair CXs entered the shop, at least around here seems people are not liking them. Too much RMAs, some work for a few months then die, some will only work with some moderate to big load ( that is, will not work with a too lightweight computer ) , and the like.

All Samxon caps, from what I saw.
rogfanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
mariushm
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodpsusearch View Post
Channel well technology sucks! First, they used fuhjyyu, especially in Antec branded psus.

Now they use Capxon. Will they ever learn??
CWT most likely has nothing to do with it. They're OEM, they will use the parts the buyer asks them to use, to bring the price down.

If you were the boss of CWT, would you give up on a 10k+ units contract just to stick to your capacitor selection?

Blame Corsair for deciding to save money on capacitor selection INSTEAD of cheapening out on input filtering and cables.

Other than this, the CX are only rated for 40C, not 45-50 as most power supplies. Personally, I didn't hear them failing due to capacitors but I did hear people complaining about coil whining.
mariushm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
goodpsusearch
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariushm View Post
CWT most likely has nothing to do with it. They're OEM, they will use the parts the buyer asks them to use, to bring the price down.

If you were the boss of CWT, would you give up on a 10k+ units contract just to stick to your capacitor selection?

Blame Corsair for deciding to save money on capacitor selection INSTEAD of cheapening out on input filtering and cables.

Other than this, the CX are only rated for 40C, not 45-50 as most power supplies. Personally, I didn't hear them failing due to capacitors but I did hear people complaining about coil whining.
I blame both! What is the cost difference between Ltec/OST/Teapo and Capxon? I don't think it is worth it..

Actually it's 30C:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=239
Old 08-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
tom66
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Leeds (University)
My Country: UK
Line Voltage: 230Vac 50Hz

I thought OST was crap too. Teapo, I've pulled a couple of them. Ltec - no experience myself, but I've seen the occasional one in monitors bulged on these forums.

65 LED/LCD TVs, 5 monitors, 25 plasma TVs, and 2 AVR 6.1 amplifiers saved from the dump!
Totally free service manuals database: http://www.toms-service-manuals.com/ (Contact me for requests or contributions.)

I have successfully fixed (from best --> worst build quality):
1 Pioneer KURO 9G, 9 Panasonic LCD/Plasma, 1 Sony LCD, 1 NEC Plasma, 2 Yamaha HTS, 4 Sharp LCDs, 5 Toshiba LCDs, 7 Philips Plasma/LCD, 1 Hitachi Plasma, 9 LG LCD/Plasma, 14 Samsung LED/LCD/Plasma, 1 Thomson Plasma, 1 Atec LCD, 1 Hanspree LCD, 1 Xerox LCD, 1 Harwa LCD, 2 Proview LCD, 2 Hyundai LCD, 1 "Onn" LCD, 1 Grundig LCD, 1 Dell LCD, 1 iiyama LCD, 1 Acer LED, 1 Logik LCD, 6 Bush LCDs, 19 Vestel LCDs
tom66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
goodpsusearch
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom66 View Post
I thought OST was crap too. Teapo, I've pulled a couple of them. Ltec - no experience myself, but I've seen the occasional one in monitors bulged on these forums.
They are all bad compared to Japanese aluminum capacitors, but still better than Capxon. I see them failing everywhere.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
tom66
Badcaps Veteran

The number of CapXon I have pulled... I mean WHY do manufacturers still insist on using these? They are really terrible caps!
Old 08-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
Wester547
Badcaps member

City & State: CA.
My Country: USA.
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz.
Send a message via Skype™ to Wester547

I always thought Fuhjyyu, Rulycon, and Evercon were the worst, though I suppose it's all anecdotal. I've heard people say that PSU companies like Delta have ways of making even Capxon capacitors last a while. I've also heard people say Capxon have improved over the years, though, in saying that, bad capacitors will always be bad capacitors, period. No exceptions.

Capxon will definitely fail when under stress (or in hot locations, right next to a heatsink, right next to a diode, on the 5VSB rail, etc), especially if 5VSB is always kept on. If not, they'll probably last longer, though how much is a debatable of sorts. And yes, efficiency also has to do with it, though low efficiency can also kill not only underpar capacitors but underpar components otherwise even quicker. What's scarier is that Capxon is also found as the choice of input capacitors, which means there's more of a potential for sparks, smoke, and explosions...

Last edited by Wester547; 08-30-2012 at 02:18 PM..
Wester547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #15
Th3_uN1Qu3
On my level

City & State: Bucharest
My Country: Romania
I'm a: Professional Tech
Send a message via Yahoo to Th3_uN1Qu3

Rulycon caps don't exist no more. And i've seen Fuhjyyu last more than CapXon. TV repair shops here like to use CapXon because they guarantee that the TV will be back in an year or two.
A working TV? How boring!
Th3_uN1Qu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #16
tom66
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
Rulycon caps don't exist no more. And i've seen Fuhjyyu last more than CapXon. TV repair shops here like to use CapXon because they guarantee that the TV will be back in an year or two.
I suspect planned obsolescence is one part of the problem. Just like the Samsung LCD TVs which were lasting 1-2 months past the warranty due to bad Samwhas. It seems too consistent to be accidental.

I suppose that's why buying stuff broken and fixing it is so much more attractive for me. Then you can pretty much guarantee it will last a long while, a lot more than buying stuff retail. Almost everything I've got now has been bought as faulty and repaired, there are a few exceptions like my scope but those are hard to get faulty (they go for high prices due to high demand.)
Old 08-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #17
Rulycat
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: North England
My Country: United Kingdom

And after my Corsair USB 3.0 memory stick has started occasionally wiping itself (it's going back!) I think we can safely say that Corsair is off my "recommended brands" list.
Rulycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #18
tom66
Badcaps Veteran

Many of these companies don't engineer their own products any more. This is a big problem, because they rely on the test data of the OEM who produces it. In China, a lot of this test data is, well... modified to suit the manufacturer. It is common practice to do so. I wish more products were consumer engineered in the UK and US, it would be nice to make them in the same countries too but that might be asking too much, but when everything nowadays is re-badged, this is what happens...
Old 08-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #19
tleu8472

Any idea if the Corsair CX500 V2 is any better?
tleu8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #20
proofinlife

Just a heads up to anyone buying the CX-430 :

I ordered one late last year, I had it sitting in the box in the plastic for over 4 months. I installed it in a clients computer, and in less than an hour the psu failed, all rails but the 12v, nothing.

I sent it in for RMA, they sent me a new one. I had it in a clients computer for no less than 6 hours, and the EXACT same problem occured. I have not RMA'd this one because corsair refuses to give me the option to upgrade to a different series.

My workbench has a cyberpower UPS, so no dirty power can be the culprit. Antec's, Bestec's, LiteON's, etc have all been through here and not one issue.

This leads me to believe corsair is putting pure filth in their builder series power supplies.
proofinlife is offline   Reply With Quote