Dell latitude D630

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell latitude D630

Hi again. I got this laptop and after twice reball the G86-620-A2 chip, problem back again (no picture on screen)

So I read, that all the chips of this series defected, on ebay I see new chips but I do not know which is not from this "bad" series.

Is anyone to know better which exactly code must be on chip without this problem (overheating)

Thankyou.
    Attached Files

Re: Dell latitude D630

Look under the 'I' in nvidia. The date code is the first two numbers - '08' in your picture. The ones that are not AS flawed (they still use lead free solder which will always be problematic) are the '10 and above series. I think there were some rare '09's that were also fixed but '08 and less are pure crap and have close to a 100% failure rate. I've been doing this 20 years and I've never seen anything like it. There isn't a day that goes by that an nvidia, ATI and now even Intel GMA laptop doesn't comes into my shop that the GPU has failed. I'm currently reflowing and reballing only when I have to but they all will eventually come back. Once this problem starts, there really isn't a permanant fix. I'm now seeing netbooks with Intel GMA's failing because of inadequate cooling. I don't know what they're doing in phones and tablets that they aren't doing in laptops. Good luck to you though. I feel your pain on the D630. These are a beast to fix. I've also had one recently that I've reflowed twice now - and I mean a proper reflow where the chip floats around at liquidous.

Comment

Hi. So I must search for 10 or higher

Thankyou for comprehensive explanation.

Comment

Make sure you use flux to reflow and update the BIOS to A12 and above that has the enhancement for thermal control.

Comment

Originally posted by mattbrad2 View Post
          Look under the 'I' in nvidia. The date code is the first two numbers - '08' in your picture. The ones that are not AS flawed (they still use lead free solder which will always be problematic) are the '10 and above series. I think there were some rare '09's that were also fixed but '08 and less are pure crap and have close to a 100% failure rate. I've been doing this 20 years and I've never seen anything like it. There isn't a day that goes by that an nvidia, ATI and now even Intel GMA laptop doesn't comes into my shop that the GPU has failed. I'm currently reflowing and reballing only when I have to but they all will eventually come back. Once this problem starts, there really isn't a permanant fix. I'm now seeing netbooks with Intel GMA's failing because of inadequate cooling. I don't know what they're doing in phones and tablets that they aren't doing in laptops. Good luck to you though. I feel your pain on the D630. These are a beast to fix. I've also had one recently that I've reflowed twice now - and I mean a proper reflow where the chip floats around at liquidous.
          I have a d630 with a the NVidia chip... I know it has a build date in June 2008... No issues (knock on wood) so far... but I keep the cooling in tip-top shape (i clean it out every 6 months )...

If what you say is true, the d630s have bad chips since IIRC production of the d630 ended in 2008 or 2009...
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by net2005 View Post
            Make sure you use flux to reflow and update the BIOS to A12 and above that has the enhancement for thermal control.
            Hi. I usually (in 98% cases) do reball, but in this case even this not help for long period, work month maybe two if.

I use leaded balls, but this chip overheats even with proper cooling (arctic silver thermal compound and cooling pad with 2 fan) and updated bios on latest version I think is A18.

Comment

Did you add epoxy glue after reball? That might help in this case. I also noticed that the heatsink is not parallell/flat against the Nvidia chip on all the d630 that I've worked on. I usuall have to bend it a little to make it more even/flat to the chip.

Comment

Hi. I dont add any epoxy glue (like red HP epoxy) Is possible to give me some link where buy one of this glue ? Heatsink sit proper on chip and is flat with core on chip, but owner of this laptop tell me, that laptop is ON all day long for youtube videos and movies, and that and bad series chip in my opinion is cause overheating.

Thankyou.

Comment

You'll drive yourself crazy with these, guys. I've spent so much time on these GPU problems over the years, it's not funny. In 2010, nvidia specifically increased their GPU ground plane (better internal heat dissipation) because I believe they went through a die shrinkage about this time. The newer chips coupled with leaded solder are really the only way you're going to "permanently" fix these issues. You'll find yourself in a constant cycle of reflowing / reballing these things every 6-12 months. I only do it with the customers knowledge that we're merely delaying them purchasing a new laptop. Still - this is only with the proper equipment and a ton of experience. Certainly not for the faint of heart. I reflowed GPU's for 18 months until I realized I was doing it all wrong the entire time.

On a side note - it's been amusing seeing the finger pointing about what the actual problem is with these GPU's. Is it the solder? The pads? The cooling methods? A combination of all 3 or another reason all-together? I've read countless ridiculous theories as to why this is happening. Some have basis - most are just internet fluff. No one knows for sure. We know that excessive heat is creating micro (nano?) cracks somewhere between the GPU die and motherboard solder pads. Some motherboards will actually respond better to being frozen than a reflow (Toshiba NB2xx series)

So far, to my knowledge only nVidia and HP have suffered from class-action lawsuits while companies such as Dell continue to play dumb (the D630's and XPS laptops are almost as bad as the HP DV series). I'm unaware of any current Dell models however that are prone to these issues - but give it time. ATI ironically, while sitting on the sidelines watching nVidia shell out millions in damages, are just now starting to suffer from the very same problems. Even the mighty Intel, with their bullet-proof GMA series are now starting to exhibit the same symptoms. I can't remember the exact Toshiba model, but in the last 6 months, they've had close to 100% failure rate. Intermittent sound / USB failure stemming from the GPU / Northbridge. The forums are going nutts and Toshiba is quietly (probably smart) repairing them all instead of issuing a recall. Just for giggles, in your spare time one day, check out Ebay and look at all the companies / individuals offering reflow services. It's insane.

Comment

Originally posted by primoz1 View Post
                    Hi. I dont add any epoxy glue (like red HP epoxy) Is possible to give me some link where buy one of this glue ? Heatsink sit proper on chip and is flat with core on chip, but owner of this laptop tell me, that laptop is ON all day long for youtube videos and movies, and that and bad series chip in my opinion is cause overheating.

Thankyou.
                    you can get Red superbonder from diy-buy.com or ebay.
                    http://www.diy-buy.com/buy-super-bon...0ml_p9070.html

Comment

Ok thank you, I will order this epox and tested if help.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                        I have a d630 with a the NVidia chip... I know it has a build date in June 2008... No issues (knock on wood) so far... but I keep the cooling in tip-top shape (i clean it out every 6 months )...

If what you say is true, the d630s have bad chips since IIRC production of the d630 ended in 2008 or 2009...
                        Just opened it up... it had a "10" chip in it... along with a 2010 dated HDD, I'd bet mine bombed the GPU and was refurbed under warranty.
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                          Just opened it up... it had a "10" chip in it... along with a 2010 dated HDD, I'd bet mine bombed the GPU and was refurbed under warranty.
                          That is interesting. There has been a lot of speculation in what refurbishing practices OEM's were doing with these. HP for example in the hay day of '06/07, simply swapped out motherboards and binned the old ones; writing off who knows what in the process. Recently however, there seems to be more of a push to simply reball the GPU and send it back to the customer. I've seen in a few cases where the replaced motherboard didn't last but a mere month or so after it was replaced under warranty (now OUT of warranty) from the manufacturer. Economy crunch? I don't know but OEM's have been disappointing me more and more lately. Quanta was essentially the fall guy in a lot of this and is now suing AMD (why didn't this happen 6 years ago??) for knowingly selling them faulty chips. Seems they don't even want to place the blame on the solder either.

This past week, I had two Lenovo G555's.. TWO exact same models with an AMD GPU problem. In one week. I know this is slightly off-topic but it just baffles me that the more we - as in the engineers who design this stuff - know about the problems that arise in these newer laptops that this problem continues. It's baffling.

Comment

Working...
                          X