Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Electronics Theory and Troubleshooting > Troubleshooting Laptops & Notebooks
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
graham01

Default Laptop Damaged USB Port - Missing Component

Hi everyone, I recently dropped my laptop (Toshiba R630-13R) while it had a USB stick in it, it landed on the USB stick pushing it inward and removing a tiny surface mounted component behind it. Sods law eh?

From looking at the tracks on the board, it connects the 5V VCC to the GND. Can anyone help me identify what it is? I *think* it will be a surface mounted capacitor.

I am not that bothered about getting the USB port working again, but this board also connects to the internal speakers, and the audio outputs, both of which do not work any more, which is quite annoying.

I have uploaded some pictures of the board and the damage, please see below;

http://i42.tinypic.com/a48w03.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/17y0ch.jpg

Thanks for reading! Regards
graham01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
tom66
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Leeds (University)
My Country: UK
Line Voltage: 230Vac 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Default Re: Laptop Damaged USB Port - Missing Component

Is this a separate board just for the USB and audio?

If you look at other USB ports on the motherboard, what component is used there?

57 LED/LCD TVs, 5 monitors, 16 plasma TVs, and 2 AVR 6.1 amplifiers saved from the dump!
Totally free service manuals database: http://www.toms-service-manuals.com/ (Contact me for requests or contributions.)

I have successfully fixed (from best --> worst build quality):
7 Panasonic LCD/Plasmas, 1 NEC Plasma, 2 Yamaha HTS, 4 Sharp LCDs, 4 Toshiba LCDs, 5 Philips Plasma/LCD, 1 Hitachi Plasma, 7 LG LCD/Plasma, 13 Samsung LED/LCD/Plasma, 1 Thomson Plasma, 1 Atec LCD, 1 Hanspree LCD, 1 Xerox LCD, 1 Harwa LCD, 2 Proview LCD, 2 Hyundai LCD, 1 "Onn" LCD, 1 Grundig LCD, 1 Dell LCD, 1 iiyama LCD, 1 Acer LED, 1 Logik LCD, 6 Bush LCDs, 15 Vestel LCDs
tom66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
graham01

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom66 View Post
Is this a separate board just for the USB and audio?

If you look at other USB ports on the motherboard, what component is used there?
Yes it is a separate board, I did some voltage checks on it when it was turned on. All pins on USB are dead, strangely audio does have power going to it, all pins connecting to the internal speakers are about 2.3V.

I tried to look at the USB connector on the other board and that just confused me more, there are 2 surface mounted components connecting the VCC to the GND. They are both pink in colour, one is the same size as what you can see on the pictures (closest SMD to the missing component) and the other one is about 3x the size.

Regards
Old 12-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
tom66
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham01 View Post
Yes it is a separate board, I did some voltage checks on it when it was turned on. All pins on USB are dead, strangely audio does have power going to it, all pins connecting to the internal speakers are about 2.3V.

I tried to look at the USB connector on the other board and that just confused me more, there are 2 surface mounted components connecting the VCC to the GND. They are both pink in colour, one is the same size as what you can see on the pictures (closest SMD to the missing component) and the other one is about 3x the size.

Regards
Ah pink is probably an ESD protection device. It's designed to prevent you from zapping the laptop's motherboard if you touch the ports.

2.3V (DC) would quickly fry the speakers are you sure about that reading?
Old 12-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
graham01

Oh dear, yea I just checked again, there is 4 cables, 2 for each speaker, they read 2.32V, 2.32V, 2.28V 2.30V.. I am guessing there is something not quite right then..
Old 12-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
shovenose
Gold Member

City & State: Fairfax, California
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Forum Junkie

If it's on a seperate board and you can't get it working again it would probly be easy to source the little board on eBay or something...
shovenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #7
graham01

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovenose View Post
If it's on a seperate board and you can't get it working again it would probly be easy to source the little board on eBay or something...
Yea I found one on eBay but only in America with a 4 week wait I also can't afford it yet.. I really don't want to go that long without music!

regards
Old 12-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
mariushm
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Romania
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

You can use one of these as a temporary solution :

http://www.amazon.com/External-Chann...3133025&sr=8-1

Use amazon.co.uk if you're in UK (or Europe)... assuming it since that Toshiba model number looks like an European one. Just search for "usb sound card" ...

Though a bit of warning - the sound quality of these usb toys is not that great.
mariushm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:18 AM   #9
tom66
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Oh dear, yea I just checked again, there is 4 cables, 2 for each speaker, they read 2.32V, 2.32V, 2.28V 2.30V.. I am guessing there is something not quite right then..
Measure the voltage across each speaker, it should be less than 0.1V.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:08 AM   #10
graham01

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom66 View Post
Measure the voltage across each speaker, it should be less than 0.1V.
Haha, I know nothing about electricity.. one is 0V the other is 0.01V. Why is is 2.3V compared to the ground? Is that just nonsense?
Old 12-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #11
tom66
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Haha, I know nothing about electricity.. one is 0V the other is 0.01V. Why is is 2.3V compared to the ground? Is that just nonsense?
Voltages across a device are what the device sees.

MOST but not all devices on the motherboard are relative to the ground. But in this case, it turns out it is cheaper to make one end more positive and one more negative, rather than make one side positive or negative and one side ground; it reduces the cost and means you don't need a second (negative) supply.

Last edited by tom66; 12-06-2011 at 08:59 AM..
Old 12-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #12
graham01

That is crazy and confusing, i wish i knew more about electronics.. i can solder anything, but i don't have a clue what it does lol.

Anyway, how can I fix my USB problem? And why has that component removed my sound? Do those ESD's have a +ve and -ve? I tried to solder one on but it didn't fix anything
Old 12-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #13
tom66
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
That is crazy and confusing, i wish i knew more about electronics.. i can solder anything, but i don't have a clue what it does lol.

Anyway, how can I fix my USB problem? And why has that component removed my sound? Do those ESD's have a +ve and -ve? I tried to solder one on but it didn't fix anything
I think you should check if the audio jack is broken. Maybe it is being held in "headphones mode" where the speaker output is muted?
Old 12-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #14
graham01

I thought I had a driver problem first, my only audio devices the laptop can recognise is HDMI out, the volume control on windows has a constant X over it and placing the cursor over it says 'No speakers of headphones plugged in', clicking the speaker icon brings up a 'Diagnosing problems' window which doesn't find anything.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #15
Uranium-235
Radioactive

City & State: tehas
My Country: US
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech

last time I had a usb port damaged on a laptop, I found a dead board of a similar model and literally unsoldered the usb port from the bad board, and replaced it on the working laptop. worked too, 'twas a old P4 dell inspiron desktop cpu laptop
Uranium-235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:42 AM   #16
graham01

http://i41.tinypic.com/24y8jr7.jpg

managed to solder a similar looking component to it.. I wasn't really expecting much, it was only to see how easy it would be. Even without this component, shouldn't I still be seeing 5V on that rail? There are a few rails showing 5V around that area connected to that 'AQR' chip, but the rail connected to the VCC is cold.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:22 AM   #17
graham01

I don't believe it, I am now getting 5V on that rail (however not on the pin, think it is broken) and my speakers are working!! How is that even possible? I thought it didn't work in the previous post because I only had my hard drive plugged in, and when I connected the battery there was no life. Unbelievable!!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:26 AM   #18
PCBONEZ
Grumpy Old Fart

City & State: Phoenix, AZ
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120V 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech

That part probably doesn't have anything to do with sound which means you might have another problem.
The 5v is for power.
There are no sound related IC chips on that card that need power. [Unless they are on the other side.]
That means it's just a pass-through from somewhere else to the jacks.
The 5v for USB is to power things you plug into USB.
That usually has it's own regulator and rail. [To protect the motherboard from bad USB devices.]

-
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
-
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
-

Last edited by PCBONEZ; 12-07-2011 at 06:32 AM..
PCBONEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #19
Evil Lurker
Warranty Voider

City & State: West Tennessee, USA

The component that broke off the board is a multilayer monolithic ceramic capacitor. It is used for decoupling purposes I am guessing. Capacitance of the original component could have varied from anywhere down in the pF range to around 1uF depending on size and construction, perhaps .1 or .01uF... who knows.
Evil Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:38 AM   #20
graham01

Thank you for all your responses!

PCBONEZ: Yes there is more components underneath the board

Evil_Lurker: Thanks, so do you think the component I replaced is doing its job then? I just finished repairing the part, just created a connection between the pin and a component on that rail.

I just did successfully did the ultimate test of playing music through my laptop speakers from an external hard drive connected through that USB port, worked like a charm.

My repair jobby: http://i39.tinypic.com/2j3lke0.jpg

Thanks for all your input guys