Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Electronics Theory and Troubleshooting > Troubleshooting TVs and Video Sources
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
agbayh

Default Random Vertical Lines on Samsung LCD TV

Hi,

I'm new to these forums. I have a problem with my Samsung LCD TV. There appears vertical lines where ever there is text on the screen. See my picture attachced. I asked a local TV repairman and he said I have to replace the whole pane. Could this be fixed by replacing some kind of printed circuit board that drives the lcd panel? Thanks for all the help in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lines.jpg (25.5 KB, 305 views)
agbayh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
PlainBill
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Phoenix, AZ
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist
Default Re: Random Vertical Lines on Samsung LCD TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbayh View Post
Hi,

I'm new to these forums. I have a problem with my Samsung LCD TV. There appears vertical lines where ever there is text on the screen. See my picture attachced. I asked a local TV repairman and he said I have to replace the whole pane. Could this be fixed by replacing some kind of printed circuit board that drives the lcd panel? Thanks for all the help in advance.
It could be the tcon, it could be the panel.

PlainBill

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
PlainBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
agbayh

Thanks PlainBill. I'll try opening this unit up and see. It's already broke, what is the worse that can happen other than electricute myself. I promise not to do that. I was suspecting it to be not the panel since the lines follow the overlayed OSD type display. The adventure begins. Thanks again.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
tom66
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Leeds (University)
My Country: UK
Line Voltage: 230Vac 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech

Quote:
Thanks PlainBill. I'll try opening this unit up and see. It's already broke, what is the worse that can happen other than electricute myself. I promise not to do that. I was suspecting it to be not the panel since the lines follow the overlayed OSD type display. The adventure begins. Thanks again.
The panel displays exactly what is sent to it, as does the T-con. Neither differentiate between OSD and video.

64 LED/LCD TVs, 5 monitors, 20 plasma TVs, and 2 AVR 6.1 amplifiers saved from the dump!
Totally free service manuals database: http://www.toms-service-manuals.com/ (Contact me for requests or contributions.)

I have successfully fixed (from best --> worst build quality):
1 Pioneer KURO 9G, 7 Panasonic LCD/Plasma, 1 Sony LCD, 1 NEC Plasma, 2 Yamaha HTS, 4 Sharp LCDs, 5 Toshiba LCDs, 6 Philips Plasma/LCD, 1 Hitachi Plasma, 8 LG LCD/Plasma, 13 Samsung LED/LCD/Plasma, 1 Thomson Plasma, 1 Atec LCD, 1 Hanspree LCD, 1 Xerox LCD, 1 Harwa LCD, 2 Proview LCD, 2 Hyundai LCD, 1 "Onn" LCD, 1 Grundig LCD, 1 Dell LCD, 1 iiyama LCD, 1 Acer LED, 1 Logik LCD, 6 Bush LCDs, 18 Vestel LCDs
tom66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
agbayh

OK.. Thanks. So if the vertical lines changes location depending on what is being displayed, then the problem is likely upstream and most likely to be one of the logic boards (TCON, Mainboard) and not the Panel/TCP/Driver IC assembly. This is a great forum. So many helpfull people.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
tom66
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
OK.. Thanks. So if the vertical lines changes location depending on what is being displayed, then the problem is likely upstream and most likely to be one of the logic boards (TCON, Mainboard) and not the Panel/TCP/Driver IC assembly. This is a great forum. So many helpfull people.
Not quite. Consider the T-con as "part" of the LCD. It controls the addressing of the pixels. It doesn't know what an OSD is, it just tells the LCD panel to display this or that given data from the main board. The panel could still be faulty. The good news is, there is a fix when the panels go bad. It works sometimes, it involves applying a bit of tape and pressure to the connectors, but it's not always a permanent fix.

The main board could still be faulty, but I would say it is less likely.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
agbayh

Now, I understand the "shimming" quick fix for some issues with lcd lines. However if the problem is due to an intermittent connection, I would suspect that it would always be the same lines that are affected. Thanks for the susggestion though. I still like the fix suggested on one of the youtube videos. THe guy used a bat and tapped on top of the tv until the lines disappeard. If I had to do that, I would take a bat and take a full swing right in the middle of the panel.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:09 AM   #8
tom66
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Now, I understand the "shimming" quick fix for some issues with lcd lines. However if the problem is due to an intermittent connection, I would suspect that it would always be the same lines that are affected. Thanks for the susggestion though. I still like the fix suggested on one of the youtube videos. THe guy used a bat and tapped on top of the tv until the lines disappeard. If I had to do that, I would take a bat and take a full swing right in the middle of the panel.
It depends on the design of the panel, but different lines may be indicative of a T-con fault not a panel fault, as yes you are correct panel faults usually affect certain lines or the whole display.

Before you do decide to smash it, sell it to someone who can repair it.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
agbayh

Unless this turns out to be an unrepairable panel, I will repair it and document what I did and share my findings. Recycling is OK but I like reusing/repurposing so much more. Plus this is going to be my guinea pig project on electronic repair. Had been a software guy most of my life. It's time to really work on the fun stuff. I'll Keep you guys posted on my Adventure with this TV. I'm sure I'll have questions along the way as I dig through the anals of circuit analysis. From what I've seen on this forum, there is not a shortage of experts in the field.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
Karl D.

City & State: Danville, CA
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker

New to this forum but have a similar problem with my 2 year old Samsung 46" LED/LCD. It has vertical colored lines. Bright ones follow the text on the screen and faint ones are on other screen areas. Other parts of the screen look fine. Please see attached pictures. Is this fixable? Is it the Tcon?

Really like the TV but phone quotes for repair (they haven't seen the TV) are $600-$800. I would buy a new one for that. Hate to throw this one away. Any help for DIY repair would be appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TV 1.JPG (95.1 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg TV 3.JPG (106.9 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg TV 2.JPG (87.5 KB, 180 views)
Karl D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
retiredcaps
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl D. View Post
New to this forum but have a similar problem with my 2 year old Samsung 46" LED/LCD.
What is the exact model number?

Quote:
Is it the Tcon?
What happens to the display if you bring up the TV setup menu?

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---
retiredcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #12
budm
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: S.F. Bay area
Line Voltage: 120V 60Hz

It happens sometime in the left side, then the right side. I would try reseating the ribbon cables between the T-CON and the LCD panel first. This kind of problem is hard to be 100% sure, I would spend the money on the least expensive board first.
See the examples of what I have found and the fixes are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bad caps in the main power supply.JPG (553.6 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg bad connections on the LCD panel and the flexPCB.JPG (605.9 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg Bad main board.JPG (572.4 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg Bad t-con 2.JPG (502.5 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Bad T-CON.JPG (562.4 KB, 208 views)
budm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
anmol

City & State: Gujarat
My Country: India

@ budm,

Thanks for nice info.
wbr

Last edited by anmol; 03-19-2012 at 01:28 PM..
anmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
Karl D.

City & State: Danville, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcaps View Post
What is the exact model number?

model is UN46B6000VFXZA, Version SQ01

What happens to the display if you bring up the TV setup menu?
Still see the vertical lines. Samsung had me reset to factory settings but no change. It is out of warrantee so Samsung could not do any more.
Karl D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #15
budm
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: S.F. Bay area
Line Voltage: 120V 60Hz

@anmol, if you want to see more pictures of failed TV's & Monitors, go here:
http://s807.photobucket.com/profile/budm
budm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #16
Nocta

City & State: Buenos Aires
My Country: Argentina
Line Voltage: 220VAC 50Hz

Make pressure where you have the lines. If it corrects, then the problem are the contacts.

I fixed some monitors by adding styrofoam to make the pressure.
Nocta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #17
uberplasma

City & State: Haliburton, Ontario
My Country: Canada
Line Voltage: 120 VAC 60 Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech

To: Karl D

OMFG!!! Craig Chaquico from Jefferson Starship - Dig the Hair !!!!

But on a serious note, that fireplace, is it used? may be causing some thermal issues like warping or "drying out" of connectors, or even causing them to shift, even if it is not searing heat, the cumulative effect of the heat over time can cause problems that may not show on the bezel.

Last edited by uberplasma; 03-20-2012 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: missing info
uberplasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #18
justlock

City & State: Sioux Falls
My Country: United States

have the exact same problem that @agbayh has in original post photo with a samsung. Already replaced the TCON, same issue. was there a final verdict?
justlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #19
human_fly

City & State: Stockholm
My Country: Sweden

Trying to pick up a dead thread here...
I have the same problem with the vertical lines, not fixed.

I have tried putting pressure to the captators. Tried cleaning and reconnecting the cables between the main and t-con board.

Is the next step to order a new T-con board and if that doesn't work put the TV back where I found it; the dumpster?

Anyone found a solution to this?
human_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #20
drpj23
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Columbia, SC
Line Voltage: 120vac 60Hz

If putting pressure on the tab bonds did not work then if cheap enough, yes try a TCON board.
Though, I would also clean the flex cables from the TCON to the panel.

If all else fails, you could sell the boards either on ebay or here.
drpj23 is offline   Reply With Quote