toshiba 37HL95 "no start"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

toshiba 37HL95 "no start"

i bought this tv to learn and because i opened it and it looks different from the other tvs i have seen the insides of. it turns out it is pretty old (2005) and i suspect it is why its so different inside.

after taking apart what i can i realized someone else has been inside this already and has written numbers all over the boards and also marked which caps have been checked. i dont know if this is a good thing or a bad thing yet.

i have a RMS fluke meter for voltage but my cap meter can only measure up to 100uF. i am hoping to atleast get started today and tmrw i hope do get a capacitor meter and a ESR meter.

also cant see any burnt board or bloated caps, well none that are obvious anyway

but for now i was hoping to find out if this is worth trying to fix or not
    Attached Files

Re: toshiba 37HL95 "no start"

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...4&d=1296417297

looks like the resistor to the right of the top transformer has a chunk missing..
    just something i noticed while looking at those pics..

there's also what looks to be a picofuse to the left of the transformer at the bottom. the green resistor-like looking thing..

Comment

sorry for all the bad pictures i was hoping i could take better pictures when i get closer to the problem

i checked these 2 things (in the picture) and got those resistances. im not sure if it was what parts you were talking about or not

the resistor that you said hada chunk missing has the black mark on it that everything on the board has. it seems the last guy who tried to fix this marked everything he checked with a felt pen.
      Attached Files

Comment

Does the TV stay in standby or is it not receiving power at all?
        Soundcraft CPS-450 and CPS-550 (Rebuilds - Completed!)
        Samsung PS42V6S - in repair (New Y-SUS Board Completed)
        Philips 32PFL7782D/05 - in repair (PSU or Main Board - Selling)

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z-r7KYP3fQ

this is what is happening when i plug it into the wall. it was difficult to explain so i made a you tube video its only 20-30 seconds long. the red and green lights are flashing, in what seems to be a sequence

Comment

Originally posted by scampo77 View Post
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z-r7KYP3fQ

this is what is happening when i plug it into the wall. it was difficult to explain so i made a you tube video its only 20-30 seconds long. the red and green lights are flashing, in what seems to be a sequence
            Possibly a diagnostic message? Service manual.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 37HL95 TV hooked up to a digital cable box. Last night I was watching a show I'd recorded on the cable box (a Shat HDTV Motorola) and immediately after the show ended, the TV turned itself off. This was unusual but as I was going to bed anyway, I didn't bother to look at it. This morning I tried to turn the TV on and it wouldn't turn on...the green LED light underneath "Timer Rec" keeps flashing every few seconds and the TV doesn't respond to the remote control or the power button on the tv itself.

---
              Response From Expert

-Is the light on the front flashing a code? (example 3 blinks pause 3 blinks pause repeat?)
              -How old is the unit?

---
              Customer Reply

Yes, the light is flashing 3 blinks pause 3 blinks pause repeat. The set is 5 years old. Hope this helps! Kat

---

Accepted Answer
              The bad news here is that the 3 blink error code your tv is giving us denotes that what is called the seine board is failing.
              according to the service manual(s), the seine board is the one marked in red in the picture below. the board marked in yellow is the tuner board above it.

so it seems like the power supply and everything else is OK, but this strange "seine board" (whatever "seine" is supposed to stand for in this case) is failing / has failed.

as i don't know what the heck this is, pics of both sides of that board would help to find out what it's for..

service manuals for the 37HL95
              http://www.4shared.com/file/WSiawFwU...e_manuals.html

Comment

hahahahah i got the service maunal (thanks bill) and i am flipping through the pages thinking "my god have i ever got a lot to learn about this stuff" then i actually started wondering if "seine" were german words because the website for the maunals was in german. im glad im not the only one confused by the lingo.

ill pull that board straght away and try to get up pictures tonight

thanks everyone

Comment

"seine" literally means "his" .. like "das ist seine zeitung" (that's his newspaper).
                  my guess is that it's some kind of stupid abbreviation in this case though..

Comment

again after i got it all apart i can see the lest tech that had this part has checked off some of the digital processors, im assuming this means they are good or at least have been checked

i dont know if there is much i can fix on this board everything is pretty small.
                    Attached Files

Comment

did i hit a unfixable problem with this tv?

Comment

well.. i doubt this would be easily fixable.. :/

but after some serious digging on ebay i found 2 model numbers of compatible "seine" boards, which are actually the main boards/digital boards/main controller boards
                        (in the words of other manufacturers which don't use imaginary designations for this.. *rolleyes*)

Manufacturer: Toshiba
                        Part Number: 75001407
                        Board Number(s): PD2231C

Part Number: 75001489
                        Board Number(s): PD2266C

both of those boards were used in or are compatible with:
                        Toshiba 27HL95
                        Toshiba 32HL95
                        Toshiba 37HL95

the PD2231C (75001407) seine board:
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/280621987132

another PD2231C (with a more reasonable price)
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/270678245759

an interesting auction for a repair service for the PD2266C seine board..
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/170476624689

A DEFECTIVE DIGITAL SEINE BOARD IS IDENTIFIED BY A STEADY
                        BLINKING RED LIGHT ON THE FRONT OF THE TV WHEN YOU
                        ATEMPT TO TURN IT ON.

YOU CAN DIAGNOIS AND CONFIRM THIS PROBLEM BY REMOVING
                        POWER TO TV AND UN-PLUGGING PJ63 (20VDC SUPPLY) ON THE
                        DIGITAL SEINE BOARD. THEN APPLY THE AC POWER TO THE TV
                        AND TURN IT ON . IF RED LIGHT STOPS BLINKING AND THE TV TURNS
                        ON THEN YOU HAVE VERIFIED THE PROBLEM.
                        if you're not deaf by now because of that guy screaming at you with capslock on, you might actually wanna try that..

the auction picture also hints at what the problem is, as it shows a seine board on a solder reflow station, pointing at the main Toshiba chip (!)

PS: on most of the other seine boards i found, the toshiba chip actually has a heatsink on it. looking at the pics of the 2nd auction above, there are actually holes in the PCB for the spring loaded mounting pins of that heatsink... did you remove it or did you already get it without one?!

example pic (different seine board ; with heatsink)

edit:
                        yet another compatible board..

Part Number: 75001577
                        Board Number(s): PD2266F

Models:
                        Toshiba 27HLV95
                        Toshiba 32HLX95
                        Toshiba 37HLX95

the only real difference between the HL95 and the HLX95/HLV95 seems to be a built-in DVD Player Oo
                        Last edited by Scenic; 01-30-2011, 09:10 PM.

Comment

which is the PJ63 (20VDC SUPPLY)? i would like to try this. i suspect its the 4 prong plug in my picture but can you verify this before i try

also yes mine had an attempt at a heatsink which included a bit of that gummy stuff i have seen in car amplifiers sandwiched between the chip and the tin shroud but the cooling fan put right over top of this spot was missing.

although i have a red blinking light and it doesnt seem to stop blinking i also have that green light blinking the green light blinks 3 times quickly and this repeats 4 times like this "3333". is this something to be concerned or note worthy or is it something entirely different?

if im going to buy anything it will be the 50$ board so long as it is compatible. anything more then that ill just garbage this tv and try a different one.
                          Attached Files

Comment

never mind the PJ63 is a board location

i tried unplugging it and plugging everything else in and still the same symptoms
                            Last edited by scampo77; 01-30-2011, 10:47 PM.

Comment

hmpf.. doesn't sound too good :/

whatever you do, don't scrap it. put the parts up on ebay.
                              the LCD panel alone should bring enough money to even out what you paid for the set.. i guess..

edit: just found this.. doubt it would help though..
                              Try a hard reset on your TV.... On the TV, hold the Power button down for 5 seconds, then release. You will notice a green light blinking at you in the lower let hand corner. This will blink for about 20 seconds, then the red light will blink once. You can then turn on your TV after the red light blinks.

Comment

well i wrote the guy on ebay you found and gave him a link to my youtube video and told him what i have done so far. so hopefully he will have some advice for me

because the tv wont start up is there anyway to test the panel to see if its working?

Comment

not really. apart from checking if it's cracked..

let's hope the seller knows something about this problem..
                                  and i'm off to bed now.. 7:22am

Comment

well i got a response from the board rebuilder guy and he seems very nice this is his response

Not the siene board .
                                    when you remove that connector you are ' unloading ' the 20 vdc supply. the tv will turn on just no digital .
                                    I would unplug the 24vdc to the inverter board first and see if the tv will stay with no picture first .
                                    The problem you have is a safty shutdown ( a supply voltage is missing or overloaded )
                                    You will need to use a mutlimeter and isolate the problem .
                                    -- JD

so this is good news right?

Comment

Originally posted by scampo77 View Post
                                      well i got a response from the board rebuilder guy and he seems very nice this is his response

Not the siene board .
                                      when you remove that connector you are ' unloading ' the 20 vdc supply. the tv will turn on just no digital .
                                      I would unplug the 24vdc to the inverter board first and see if the tv will stay with no picture first .
                                      The problem you have is a safty shutdown ( a supply voltage is missing or overloaded )
                                      You will need to use a mutlimeter and isolate the problem .
                                      -- JD

so this is good news right?
                                      Well, it's not bad news. You have someone giving advice that knows more about the TV than (apparently) anyone here. The advice he is giving makes sense - remove the loads from the power supply until you identify the one causing the problem.

The bad news MIGHT come when you identify the defective board and discover that it is unrepairable, and a replacement is unavailable. But it is also likely that you will discover it is an inexpensive, easily replaced component. Or as others have found, an expensive, easily replaced component.

PlainBill
                                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Re: toshiba 37HL95 "no start"..unplug the seine fix

I'm surprised no-one suggested the jelly bean fix...a failed seine module keeps TV from boot-up, but the module is unnecessary for all but rabbit ear antenna's, so unplug the module and try the TV...it may work just fine ! If you really miss the other special features wired into the seine board like PIP , then would you need do a board repair/replace.
                                        Unplug the lead at the left side in pic....
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by kingofcoins; 02-04-2011, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X