Introducing The New Generation Of Counterfeit Capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing The New Generation Of Counterfeit Capacitors

So I was at the electronics shop today, and instinctively I beelined toward the capacitors section. they got quite a lot of new stuff and for some reason got rid of a lot of their old stock GP caps.

What I discovered was astonishing.

Notice the Panasonic T vents are being used on these obviously fake green Nichicon HD, HN, and HM. These guys are learning. Gone are the days when all you had to do was look at the bunge. The bunge on the last capacitor on the left, a Panasonic FC 10V 2200uF, looks impeccable but this is NOT a real Panasonic FC, it is also a fake. A very good fake. It is rubber and not synthetic like a real FC. It's also flimsy, if I put a little pressure on it, it recedes into the can. Sorry about the image quality on the bunge shot.

Sorry, no inline pics, files are too big. Also, for some reason PHPBB is further compressing my JPGs.
    Attached Files
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Re: Introducing The New Generation Of Counterfeit Capacitors

Oh they are getting really good. On the last photo, the one on the right looks a lot like a real one (no stamping marks and a completely flat top).
    Just waiting when they are going to be the same, even in quality specs

Comment

Even the rubber seals look like panny. Maybe they are really made by panny?
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I'd be more than willing to send these to someone with an ESR tester. The FC is most definitely a fake, eventhough it looks almost completely real.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

and since nichicon does not use that shade of green....
          the print looks poor too.
          i have already found some of the green vz in a board sent in to be recapped.blown up.fake.
          Last edited by kc8adu; 12-01-2010, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
            So I was at the electronics shop today, and instinctively I beelined toward the capacitors section..
            What shop was this?
            36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Why would they spend money on making their caps look like pannys? Why not just spend it making good caps?

Comment

Incompetance. The countefeiters are physical labourers at best, not chemists or engineers. It's a cheap source of income, and they could probably manufacture good capacitors if they had a competant staff. They lack good intellectual property, not good materials.

Comment

Oh, so they essentially make the counterfeit caps and buy the foil and electrolyte in?

Comment

or resleeve whatever.
                    Originally posted by top_cat View Post
                    Oh, so they essentially make the counterfeit caps and buy the foil and electrolyte in?

Comment

From what I understand, there's one main producer of off-brand capacitors (Besides the Taiwanese producers - and this excludes Samxon which does produce many good models) in China called GSC. They distribute their garbage to a myriad of fly-by-night manufacturers who resleeve their garbage and produce new datasheets based on their new "series".

Two identical capacitors from these different "manufacturers" are almost never given the same series namesake, but are usually always the same capacitor underneath the sleeving. In fact, if you look at spec sheets for some of them, the specifications per given model match exactly.

Comment

GSC = Garbage Shit Corporation
                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

The Nichicon PL series unit looks like a resleeved Jamicon or Hermei through its hexagonal vent.
                          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

A year or so ago, when I knew nothing of fake caps, I ordered a bunch of those fake green Nichicons. I remember I needed some 10v 1500uv 8mm caps, and these were all I could find on the web. I took one look at them and decided they were fake. The ESR was acceptable, but the capacitance was way low - about 1050 vs the 1500 specified. Needless to say, I didn't use them. Later I found FJ/FL OEMs on the web and these turned out to be the real deal.

So whenever I see green Nichicons I see fake. The Panny FC would have fooled me. I would not be buying these anyway as FMs are readily available in North America.

Comment

Working...
                            X