Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > General Topics > Site Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
bigbeark
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Markham, Ontario, Canada
Default Linux Forum

Many of us find the best O/S for older equipment we recap and otherwise restore is Linux.

I think a Linux Forum would be useful to highlight equipment you should or should NOT buy if you are running Linux.

I now have three PCI cards, two IDE and one SATA, that use VIA chipsets.

Guess what? None of them is recognized in Linux (= no drivers).

It could also be used for evaluations of distros and personal experience of how they work with various hardware.
bigbeark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
shovenose
Michael S.

City & State: Fairfax, California
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 1080P
I'm a: Forum Junkie
Default Re: Linux Forum

Hmmm-but theres no windows forum or a mac os forum. Maybe all 3 could be created?
shovenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
everell
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Williamsburg, Virginia
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

There are already Linux forums to post your problems on. No need to clutter this forum with a Linux "takeover". This forum has what other formus don't have....information on bad caps, and my favorite, power supply design and troubleshooting. What other forum provides the kind of help needed on power supplies?

A Linux forum would only lead to more operating system threads on this forum. As for the most popular operating system....Windows......just go to the Microsoft website for help. I have found that by going there you can get the most technically correct....yet useless information that is available!
Old 10-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
stj
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Europe

you need a newer linux btw - via shouldnt be a problem.
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
Quasar

City & State: NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeark
Many of us find the best O/S for older equipment we recap and otherwise restore is Linux.
Many of us? I think that's very broad ranging. I've never touched a *nix machine in the shop.

Quote:
I think a Linux Forum would be useful to highlight equipment you should or should NOT buy if you are running Linux.
I agree with Everell. There are many other forums where this information is forefront. Try a Google on "linux forums" --> 52 MILLION hits. Not to mention all the flavors to boot.

I would not like these forums nearly as much if it suddenly became OS focused. Even Windows or OSX focusing detracts from the (what I believe is) intent of Badcaps. If I were to login and find 25 new topics of which 10 were Windows questions, that would give me pause. Those questions when directly related to a hardware issue, are not too bad. But, it really is a software issue, such as your point of "no drivers". We've all seen plenty of downright "bad" drivers that make it look like a hardware problem.

Quote:
I now have three PCI cards, two IDE and one SATA, that use VIA chipsets.

Guess what? None of them is recognized in Linux (= no drivers).
I don't think *nix is the only OS VIA has had problems with....

Quote:
It could also be used for evaluations of distros and personal experience of how they work with various hardware.
See point #2

Q

Quote:
I have found that by going there you can get the most technically correct....yet useless information that is available!
Just like the BSOD Error messages.
New one today: BAD_POOL_HEADER ... wth does that mean!
{Rhetorical question. No answers please!}

Last edited by Quasar; 10-15-2010 at 09:32 PM..
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Send a message via ICQ to Topcat Send a message via AIM to Topcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by everell View Post
There are already Linux forums to post your problems on. No need to clutter this forum with a Linux "takeover". This forum has what other formus don't have....information on bad caps, and my favorite, power supply design and troubleshooting. What other forum provides the kind of help needed on power supplies?

A Linux forum would only lead to more operating system threads on this forum. As for the most popular operating system....Windows......just go to the Microsoft website for help. I have found that by going there you can get the most technically correct....yet useless information that is available!
Agreed 100%.

I appreciate the input and suggestion. This has actually been suggested before. If you have an OS related question you want to bounce off our members, just stick it in the General Computer section, and someone will answer it. There's a million forums on the net that cover operating systems of all variety, so dedicated sections for OS's just isn't needed here. We've had plenty of OS discussions in the General section, and that's just fine.....and we'll just leave it at that.

Again, I do appreciate you taking the time to make suggestions!! People doing that is the only way we get new things.

Badcaps.net Services:

Premade Capacitor Kits
Badcaps.net Capacitor Master List

Motherboard Repair Services

If you've come here in search of replacement capacitors or repair services, please use the links above.
----------------------------------------------
Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team : 49813
Join in!!
Team Stats
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote