Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI K7T266 Pro2 Ver: 2.0

I have an MSI K7T266 Pro2 Ver: 2.0.

A couple of months ago, the power supply died on this system. At that time I noticed that fully half of the caps on this board were either swollen or vented. When I asked at the shop where I got the new PS, they said that event though the board still POSTed on a good PS, it would probably destroy the new PS within a few weeks.

I replaced both the PS and MB (A Foxconn they had on clearance), reusing all the other components. The system has been running rock-steady since then.

This system had been running for nearly three years, but I'd had stability problems for at least two of those. It had a tendency to freeze when I would plug in USB devices to the front-panel USB 2.0 connectors.

13 of 24 capacitors appear to have failed--bulging and/or vented. These caps are all either Tayeh (Wikipedia lists this as a company that doesn't appear to exist) or Lelon. The Lelons are 1000uF 6.3v 8mm cans and all appear to have failed, many venting. The Tayeh's are 1500uF 6.3v 10mm cans and appear to have bulged slightly.

The others that don't appear to have failed are 10mm cans either 1500uF 16v or 2200uF 6.3v. Their brand name may be KZG. They are dark brown with grey stripes and lettering.

If I recap, I would replace all of them, even those that appear to have not failed.

My main questions are:
    1) Is it likely that the bad caps were the cause of the power supply dying?
    2) Is it likely the freezes when plugging in USB devices were due to the bad caps? There are two of the 1000uF caps right at the USB 2.0 headers, both vented.
    3) If I recap, is it likely this MB will be stable? I'm thinking of upgrading an old (PII) system with a new PS and this MB, but would need to add a new CPU and RAM as well.

Re: MSI K7T266 Pro2 Ver: 2.0

Originally posted by johnse
    My main questions are:
    1) Is it likely that the bad caps were the cause of the power supply dying?
    2) Is it likely the freezes when plugging in USB devices were due to the bad caps? There are two of the 1000uF caps right at the USB 2.0 headers, both vented.
    3) If I recap, is it likely this MB will be stable? I'm thinking of upgrading an old (PII) system with a new PS and this MB, but would need to add a new CPU and RAM as well.
    1) No, the PSU probably died by itself
    2) Yes.
    3) Yes.

KZG is a series of caps made by United Chemi-Con, they should be good. Tayeh and Lelon is crap.

Comment

they were kinda setting you up for a rma refused on the psu......

1) occasionally it does happen to get other problems along with badcaps. like the psu or perhaps the ram failing. unrelated except for the time that has passed since it was all turned on.

2) i am with my friend Rainbow on that one also. badcaps can anyway cause wierd problems in software, crashes corruption. best to recap and then start troubleshooting otherwise end up lost and nowhere.

3) as the board did not die and fail to post it is an excellent candidate for recapping with chance of success depending only on your technique. as long as you use the correct caps it will be perfectly stable and last until nobody wants it.

forget the wikipedia article. after it was created by our bushytails and developed further by him, it has been edited considerably by others and i dont agree with some of the edits they did, which i guess is why he abandoned it.

we look forward to helping you to a successful recap.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Thank you both for your comments.

I put in a request for pricing on the replacement caps. If the KZG caps don't need to be replaced, then I'd only be looking to replace 10 1000uF 6.3v 8mm and 3 1500uF 6.3v 10mm caps.

I'll take the board home (It's at the office at the moment) and take some good pictures of the failed caps and upload them for you.

One other question... Your removal instructions said not to use the mechanical solder-suckers. I'm assuming by that you mean the spring-operated, vacuum-type? Why are they likely to damage the board?

Comment

actually they do a very nice job but there is the problem of recoil against the board damaging a trace or too much suction sucking out the lead port.
          Attached Files

Comment

I use a cheap plastic mechanical solder sucker with spring. It worked until it broke into two pieces Then I glued it back together and it still works. You have to be careful not to bend the board too much by hitting it with the sucker when it recoils. My instructions:
            1. put the board in a small vise - take a paper, fold it several times and wrap around the bottom edge of the board so it covers the last slot from both the front and back of the board (to avoid damage) and squeeze in the vise by that last slot
            2. remove the bad caps
            3. clean the holes - heat with the soldering iron from one side (add solder if needed), put solder sucker on the other side and fire it - you need to be careful HERE - the soldering iron should support the board enough so the recoil can't bend the board. You also need to be fast as holes can be damaged by too much heat (some boards have more delicate holes than other).
            4. put in new caps, solder them on and cut the leads

That's it:
            Last edited by Rainbow; 12-09-2005, 04:13 PM.

Comment

TC will kill us for talking about desoldering pumps lol.

Comment

OK... I don't have to go get a more expensive one... I've got that kind already

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                  TC will kill us for talking about desoldering pumps lol.
                  maybe mistake it for that other pump?

Comment

Here's a set of pictures I took of the board. It shows pretty well both the good and bad caps. The good ones are a little crooked because I was pushing them a bit to read the values...
                    Last edited by willawake; 12-10-2005, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Here's a set of pictures I took of the board. It shows pretty well both the good and bad caps. The good ones are a little crooked because I was pushing them a bit to read the values...

Whole board with notes showing the different caps

Whole board without the notes

Good caps on the right, bad on the left

Green caps are bad. The 10mm at the very right is just starting to bulge around the scoring at the top.

Two by USB headers

Another Lelon 8mm and another view of the 10mm Tayeh with the bulging top

Another 8mm 1000uF

Two Lelon 1000uF 8mm and Two Tayah 1500uF 10mm. Again, the Tayehs
                      are beginning to bulge on top but haven't vented.

Another shot showing the good (Brown) KZG caps and the Lelon (green) caps. Note that I'd scraped away some of the leakage on the of the ones between the AGP and PCI slots.

Comment

"KZG" is a United Chemicon series, and the shield is UCC's logo.
                        Definitely. The bulging/vented crapacitors are high ESR. When you plug in the USB device, it draws a surge of current, which the crapacitors cannot supply without allowing the voltage to go out of reguation (the regulator cannot respond instantly).
                        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

change all but the kzg's
                          even the ones that arent bulging as they soon will.
                          i see a bunch of these boards and they all pass burn in after a recap.
                          even ones that didnt post when i got them.

Comment

Working...
                          X