Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EMU 1820M not working properly

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
    Maybe your photos are too large for the forum to handle. Try resizing them down a little bit.
    Here are some cropped pics. I have located a few websites who sell model # TTl8724 but not what I need (TTl8711) They seem really similar as far as model numbers go but I am not sure if it will be ok.

Any thoughts?
    Attached Files

Comment

That's a transformer, specifically part of a DC/DC converter.

The discolouring is normal, it is probably varnish or glue that has dried up from heat.

Given that this thing has a Xilinx Spartan FPGA and a Xilinx CPLD (expensive chips!), it doesn't look cheap, and yet they used cheap crap capacitors... Ugh! I wonder if it is genuine incompetence, or cost cutting?
      Last edited by tom66; 05-06-2012, 05:53 PM.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
        That's a transformer, specifically part of a DC/DC converter.

The discolouring is normal, it is probably varnish or glue that has dried up from heat.
        Interesting. So perhaps attempting to replace the G Luxon caps should be my first step then...

Thank you for you input.

Comment

Same problem here. Nobody by chance had a cap value list or digikey part list for all the caps from when they did this laying around?

Comment

Hey everybody here!
            It's been a while that somebody posted here but I just wanted to thank all of you and especially Broosta. I just put new capacitors into my EMU 1820 and all is great again. I just love the sound quality and I saved myself a lot of money. Thanks!
            Got my 2 capacitors here: http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?sku=70068555

Comment

Re: EMU 1820M not working properly (Fix for 1616m Pcie?)

Hello to everyone,
              I was very happy to find this forum concerning the 1820m. Its good to see
              someone has found a solution to the phantom power (noise) issue. I have the
              newer 1616m Pcie with what would seem to be similar defective Capacitors.
              My question is;Has anybody any information on how to apply this repair on
              the E-mu 1616m Pcie? If so, could use some guidance as to what capacitors
              would be needing replacing. Anything you might know is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter,
              Best,
              Stephen443

Comment

Anyone heard of NTE caps?
                Attached Files

Comment

I used to use their transistors and diode substitutes from them, they do not actually make parts, they will get the supplies from someone else and put their own numbers on them with the spec that matches the original parts, they spend a lot of time coming up with substitute part lists. I have no idea who actually make the caps for them. I myself use nothing but PANASONIC caps from DIGIKEY, FM/FR series fro switching power supplies or any circuits that need low ESR, EB series for general purpose caps. Digikey also has $2.50 shipping charge for small quantity using USPS.
                  Never stop learning
                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

The Component marked as "coev, TTl8711" is a transformer

Comment

Sorry thought no one had replied to this question.. there were more responses on a second page... Thanks

Comment

Those NTE are rebadged G-Luxon or Teapos, from the vent.
                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hey everyone , just popped back to say my 1820m is still working fine, no more bad caps or anything. Not bad for sound card 7 yrs on I guess, so thats all down to you guys on this forum with all the knowledge.

Good to see others getting the same help I got. Good luck guys and happy soldering!
                          Last edited by Broosta; 10-05-2012, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Broosta View Post
                            Hey everyone , just popped back to say my 1820m is still working fine, no more bad caps or anything. Not bad for sound card 7 yrs on I guess, so thats all down to you guys on this forum with all the knowledge.

Good to see others getting the same help I got. Good luck guys and happy soldering!
                            Hey Broosta, which ones did you end up replacing?

Comment

Replace all which are visibly bad or have high ESR at least.

Any others of the same brand\value that aren't showing signs of failure should also be replaced as a preventative measure, if not the whole lot.
                              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                              -David VanHorn

Comment

Hello to all,

I am currently ordering a bunch of capacitors (shopping cart ready for checkout) and am wondering if someone can provide me with some advice.

Is it a bad thing if I order a capacitor that has a higher rating of maximum operating temperature of 150 deg. vs. 105 deg. which is currently on my board?

Also, I don't have a metric ruler handy to measure the capacitors in my unit. Does size actually matter, other than how closely they may sit together? I mean, sound should process the same, just tolerance to heat should be different, right?

Interestingly enough, the caps that I currently have in my cart (Panasonic) are cheaper and have a higher tolerance to heat than the Panasonic's spec'd for my board of lower max temperature operation. Naturally, I am leaning towards the cheaper but your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the help, fellas!

Comment

For temperature tolerance, as far as I know, the higher the better. I don't think any other properties are changed significantly, but don't quote me on that: 150 degree capacitors seem to be a recent thing.

Size is irrelevant, provided the capacitor meets or exceeds specifications of the old one, and that it's not different in size so much that it won't physically fit in the device.

The capacitors which have failed in this unit are likely to do with power supply than any part of the audio path, there would be no change in sound quality (I am sceptical they would anyway)

If you want to do it "properly" (especially in a power supply section as I suspect there are) the main thing is to make sure ESR and ripple current rating match up with the original ones. To do this, measure the capacitor size, look up the series datasheet (In the photos it looks like the dead ones are G-Luxon LZ) and then find out what ESR and ripple are. Buy something that has these values as close as possible.

In general lower ESR is OK (but go too low and you may get issues) It's not advisable to go higher. Opposite for RCR. Just like voltage rating, don't go lower, but going higher doesn't matter.

Though, you can probably just get away with using Panasonic FM, FR or FC as already suggested, and forgetting about the other things....
                                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                  -David VanHorn

Comment

Hi all.. And Happy New Year!!!

New user- I have the same issue with my 1820m. As worked flawlessly for years but now Intermittent working breakout box if at all. Loud static off and on, won't detect etc... Horrible! I use this for my guitar as well as gaming. In anycase I've looked over all the caps and I see 1 that the top is bulbous and not concave like the others. I don't see any leaks but I'm assuming since all the others are concave tops that this one is probably bad.

And ya, this was worth finding even on New Years eve.. What's more important than sound!?!

Unless someone wants a pic, i'll probably change all those out like suggested and see what happens.

And now I have a place to check my last 2 failed receivers as well -

Thanks again for a great site!

Comment

Fixed!

I bought some nichicon caps from a local electronics store.. Actually JKelectronics here in Southern California. Tons of stuff, HUGE store.. I was upset at the 1 drawer of caps at Radio Shack (the advice here was don't use them anyways) and found JKE. Are nichocon caps decent? I bought 5 but so far only replaced the bad one. I want to replace all of the same ones but not sure if nichocon is good enough or wait and buy the panasonics online.

Thanks for a great site.. Now to the broken receivers...

Comment

If you mean Nichicon, they are well known for the usage in power supplies.

Comment

I have an EMU 1820 soundcard, the PCI work ok and the Audio Dock no work, no lit LEDs, I need the value of Vcc and the points of Test of the Audio Dock. Do you have this?.

Help me please.
                                          Last edited by Ignacio Barriga Nuñez; 03-06-2013, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X