Compaq Proliant DL380

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compaq Proliant DL380

Just got this for free. Its complete. Has two 10K 18.2gb Ultra scsi 320 drives, dual p3 1ghz, 1.125gb ram, has both 275W redundant lite-on built compaq power supplies.

Trying to put windows on it, thats another story. The cd drive is the little laptop type, but it reads it fine. Its just I need to install the scsi drivers so the installer for windows can see the hard drives. I have never done that before, can someone please explain it to me how?

Re: Compaq Proliant DL380

During install, at the bottom of the screen, Answer yes (I think it's F2) to the prompt "Do you need to install any 3rd party drivers" and when it comes time, Windows install will prompt you for them. Either on CD or Floppy.
    veritas odium parit

Comment

It is F6 for floppy installation.
      I've never seen Windows allow an F6 driver installation from CD.
      It is pretty stupid, and supports only true floppies, or a select group of USB floppy drives.
      You can modifiy TXTSETUP.SIF on the CD to accept the Sony USB floppy.

DL380 is a nice machine. Congrats on a freebie score.
      In advance, download ALL the required storage drivers for this machine.

Your RAID array, if present, should be configured prior to installing the OS.
      Last edited by bgavin; 06-28-2009, 09:10 AM.

Comment

So do I just go to compaq's website and download the drivers for the scsi and put them on a floppy?

Comment

well, HP's site, yes

or if your os supported you can download smart start cd and you boot with that and setup your array and then it install the os and drivers no probs.
          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I downloaded the drivers for the card from hp's website, but I need the txtsetup.oem file and everything, the file from hp's website is just a executable.

Comment

Did you try running it? Sometimes these create a floppy with the drivers. Or at least will unzip into a directory that you can copy to floppy during install.

Toast
              veritas odium parit

Comment

I unzipped it, no txtsetup.oem on it.

A lot of people complain that hp's drivers don't have the txtsetup.oem file on them, just the files for installing under windows. Apparently you have to build one on your own.

Anyone have any idea how to do that?
                Last edited by 370forlife; 06-28-2009, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Make of drives? Check their website for the drivers...?

EDIT: Another thought as to why there is no OEM setup file is that HP/Compaq probably did this all on their proprietary install CD's.
                  Last edited by Toasty; 06-28-2009, 01:18 PM.
                  veritas odium parit

Comment

Of course compaq puts their name on everything, so the drives are just labeled as compaqs, but I think they are quantums, maybe maxtors, I don't know.

Comment

i guess they just expect people to use the smart start cd
                      otherwise just install centos
                      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I have one like it. There is a proliant setup cd you have to use. That or build a custom cd with nlite after you download drivers. I put server2k3 on that way.

Comment

I have the same server. I didn't install windows on it though, too much of a hassle IMHO :p
                          I installed Opensuse. that found all the drivers needed and I have a fully functioning server running Linux. oh and BTW, the fans can be turned down with the HPASM tool.
                          I did a how-to on a blog that I'll post here as well:
                          =================================================================
                          details on how I got the LOUD fans to throttle down to how they should be using HPASM and opensuse 11.1.
                          #1 -download “hpasm-7.5.1-8.sles8.i386.rpm” from hp.com

#2 -once OS is installed install the HPASM pack by running (as root):
                          # rpm -ivh hpasm-7.5.1-8.sles8.i386.rpm

that should install HPASM.
                          to get it to work for you (as root):
                          # hpasm activate

-when it asks you a question about weather or not to fuse with the kernel and that it may “taint” the kernel answer no.

the rest should be pretty much self explanatory. I believe HP has instructions on how to get it working on their site.

If everything was done correctly HPASM will automatically load on every reboot by itself
                          =================================================================
                          I should also add…
                          Ubuntu server doesn't work easily with this server at all. I'd like to give debian another shot as I could get a fully functioning OS, but I had some trouble getting the fans to throttle down. That said I'm using OpenSUSE 11.1 with great success on my server. OpenSUSE was the easiest to setup and use.

If you have no prior linix/unix experience this server will be something fantastic to learn it on. HP's documentation is pretty good. so be sure to read over that well.
                          read about opensuse: www.opensuse.org
                          get it here: http://software.opensuse.org/
                          download the 32bit version and make it a live CD I'd reccomend Gnome over KDE since when I used KDE last it seemed to take up a few more system resources and lag more (direct download link to follow below)
                          http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...iveCD-i686.iso
                          If you'd like to give KDE a shot
                          http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...iveCD-i686.iso

If you have anymore questions I'd be more then happy to answer them

Comment

What are next week's winning lottery numbers?
                            Mann-Made Global Warming.
                            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                            -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                              What are next week's winning lottery numbers?
                              LOL Guess I walked into that one

Comment

I just flipped the switch for rackmount mode off, and it speed adjusts the fans now.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                                  I just flipped the switch for rackmount mode off, and it speed adjusts the fans now.
                                  I tried that and it didn't throttle down the fans... fans stayed at full speed shortly after post. I think I let it boot up all the way once with switch 3 off, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll have to try that out again sometime soon.

Comment

Working...
                                  X