Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox/Waterfox and Broadband users, READ THIS!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Firefox and Broadband users, READ THIS!!

Noticed that too.
    I'm not sure which exact update triggered it, but it must have been within the last 1 or 2 months. Even though I have 1.5gigs of RAM, some pages (but not all) really have trouble loading when multiple windows/tabs are opened. They seem to freeze FF for a while, after that they come unstuck and finish loading.
    Strangely, the used RAM doesn't even free up partially until I completely close FF.
    I must say this really sucks.
    I'm pretty sure there are tons of pages that discuss this issue, but I haven't searched yet. Wanted to try out the v3 beta anyway. I'll see what happens.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

I've noticed the exact same symptoms as those you've described.
      Hmmm.

I think I'll revert to 1.5x or even 1.08 for the old systems with 256MB. Just so the systems don't bog.
      “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
      We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

Supposedly, the newest Firefox (Beta2 is out, so you can try it if you want) is designed to address those problems.

Mind you, IE7 takes approximately three times the ram of IE6 on the systems where I've gone back and forth. I haven't noticed that IE is any better on ram than Firefox. (Yes, Firefox used 640 megs of ram on me, but then, that's why I have 2 gigs, and I'd had over forty different web sites open for four days)

Comment

Yep. Works great. Thanks.

Also, if you want to avoid the defrag woes and the popups and all the other hassles,
          try PCLinuxOS. All the goodies that Vista promises without the bloat and the viruses, adware, etc, etc., goto www.pclinuxos.com, download PCLinuxOS2007.iso, burn to cd or DVD, pop into cd or dvd player and reboot.

PCLinuxOS will run off the CD/DVD (Live) so you can try it without installing to your hard drive. If you like it (and you will), then relogin as root and click on the install icon on the root desktop and it will walk you through the install onto your harddrive.

About 2 GB of open source software comes installed on the live cd. Open Office, Firefox, Thunderbird, The Gimp (Photoshop clone) and much more.

Fantastic distro designed for Windows users who don't want to fight using the command line that most people think is required when using Linux.

Comment

I'm a new convert to Firefox 3.03. I did this because FF and Safari are the two most standards-adherent browsers.

I've started an intense course in web coding, and found out quickly that IE6 is a web coder's nightmare. Pity, as I really prefer the IE6 interface over any of the other Microsoft offerings. I refuse to use IE7 for this reason.

The final selling point for Firefox is the Firebug plug-in for developers. FF has an interface close enough to IE6 that I'm happy. Several problematic web sites I visit regularly with IE6 are no longer problems with FF. Even in the out-of-box installation, FF303 is noticeably faster than IE6.

Thanks to TC for the broadband tweaks. I will install them today and see what happens.

Comment

The default settings in FF3 I think are a bit optimistic. 15 connections per server. Why would you need so many connections to one server. I have not come across a situation where 15 produces optimal page load speed. I worked out 10 is good. But for fastest ebay and forum maybe even lower.
              Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Originally posted by Fizzycapola
                Why would you need so many connections to one server.
                Why wouldn't you? You want enough connections to saturate your downlink. Any less and you're leaving bandwidth on the table. Any more and you're delaying your rendering because assets are blocking each other from downloading. That number's going to be different for everyone based on their pipe and their average throughput to different sites.

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                  actually i was wondering why firefox wasnt doing such a great job of caching images. well if i check tools/options/cache it is default 50mb which is pretty small i guess for the amount of surfing i do. at the moment i set it to 1gb and all is ok. i guess i should clear the cache periodically also.
                  lol thats way better than what IE does which is default 10% of your entire hard disk

as a pc fixer i tend to find drives literally where each user has nearly 10gigs of IE temp files..........
                  each user........
                  on a 120gig drive

yeah, leave it at 50

when i see that stuff in IE i immediately lower it to measly 8mb and give it back to the user that way when im done...

Comment

Thanks for this tip. Wasn't aware of the possibility to tweak FF settings this way.

Comment

I've found the best way to speed-up firefox is to use chrome.

Comment

I did the tweaking to firefox and it now loads in less than a second. I have one question though will this cause harm to the servers or cause the I.S.P. providers to hassle me?

Comment

i duly applied the above mentioned tweeks, but on checking my speed using

http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/ the speed never inceased it remaind the same 5 Mbps,

but my browsing speed and performance was much better now with out any glitches

Comment

there is significant changes in my browsing speed ,implementing this tweaking procedure....thanks ..cheers

Comment

Thank you for this! Really helpful!

Comment

It's funny, those adjustments of FF have been around for a while and now they are slowly finding their way into new releases of Firefox. I do apply them every time I install Firefox on one of my own PC's or on a customer's PC. They Work!

I also add the non-IE versions of Flash Player and Shockwave.
                                Installing the "Coral I.E.Tab" add-on lets you get to those I.E. specific web sites without ever leaving FF. (even MS Updates)

One more thing I've found that can speed up your Internet, is optimizing the connection settings (77 of them) in Windows. The only program that I've ever found that can do this effectively is the somewhat new "AVG Tune-UP".
                                Sorry guys, it's NOT FREE. But, optimizing the Internet Connection is only one of several very useful apps. I'd buy the program, just for that one app.

Great thread!

Experience is truly the best teacher.
                                Backup! Backup! Backup! Ghost Rocks!

Comment

To the people who are complaining about Firefox getting slower and fatter with every release, the focus now is on speed and memory usage. Firefox 7 is suppsoed to half memory usage compared to Firefox 4 - Firefox 7 comes out on Tuesday.

Comment

Firefox 7 does indeed use a lot less RAM than 6, 5, or 4. It actually runs decently on my 256MB computer :P
                                    Firefox 6, on the other hand...chokes!

Comment

Many thanx Topcat, a great help, this is why i like helping people where i can. This looks like i made the right decision to join up.
                                      Thanx again.

Comment

I just upgraded FF to ver 12.0 and the tweaks still work.

It also helps, if your PC is not loaded down with Services and TSR's sucking the life blood out of your PC. Trim off the fat and FF and many other programs will work a lot better.
                                        PC optimization is what I've done for a living, for the past 30 years.

Cheers mates!
                                        The PC Doctor
                                        Experience is truly the best teacher.
                                        Backup! Backup! Backup! Ghost Rocks!

Comment

The other day, I had a problem with Firefox using almost 1 GB of RAM with just 2 tabs!
                                          That was when I wasn't even on YouTube! O_O That was a WTF moment.
                                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                                          X