Alienware barebone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alienware barebone

Okay, so I decided this was my way out of my little OCD trap because I'll be at work again in a few weeks, yay!

I saw some Alienware barebone laptops on eBay for about $300. These are new, or some are 95% new... barebone means I get everything except CPU, HDD, Keyboard, RAM and MXM graphics card.

It would be a fun little project to throw some money at and would turn my frown upside down I suppose. Now, these are the two I saw but I dunno what's the better one!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Barebone-...ht_4925wt_1399

and...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Alien...item256e1f43a2

I want to know a few things...

Firstly, what CPU's do these take? I'm hoping something with a socket P that's a non-Core i5/i7 as those are a bit dear right now. As for MXM graphics card... I've been told these take the MXM 3.0 cards? Everything else is self explanatory to me.

Pretty excited about this to be honest. Money isn't a problem once I'm back at work... I just want to turn my frown upside down and get on the bright side of things and slap the best of the best of what these laptops can take so I can do some photo-shopping (I'm no gamer!). Like most of you know... I'm very familiar with laptops as I service and repair these little shits all the time.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Alienware barebone

anyone? Alienware M17x-R1 or Alienware M17-R1? I think the M17 (with no X and also called Aurora M9700) is the newer one? But I can't find a battery?
    Last edited by stevo1210; 08-20-2012, 06:14 AM.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

i would pass.
      the parts to build it would be too much.those things are bling junk that sell for far more than they are worth.
      roflol at their picture too.

Comment

I looked at this too and wondered if you had costed it out. I agree there is the bling factor and felt you might be better getting a more mainstream but upgradeable machine or even one that didnt work if its just to keep you occupied. I also checked on ebay and only came up with a handful of parts and all seemed very expensive.

As you indicate that you service and repair computer equipment I am surprised you are not on Badcaps all the time sharing your expertise - that would keep you busy fulltime - I find it very addictive but satisfying if you can help someone fix something thought to be trash.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Working...
        X