Backing Up and Restoring Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing Up and Restoring Data

I just got this new (to me) computer. I still have my old one running. It has a 40gb WD hd. in the old one and the new one has a 750gb (not sure of brand). The reason for all this is the new computer hd is a SATA and the old one is IDE. I'm not sure there is an IDE connection in this new computer.

I have Acronis True Image WD edition that I can use to migrate my files to the new computer. or

Is there a way to move my files off the 40gb to the new 750gb maybe through a USB cable, while both puters are running? I also have a external USB drive box that I can put my 40gb into and use that. What's the best way? Also what do you do to make the files and programs (most were created under win XP) work under Vista 64 which is the operating system on the new computer. (NO JOKES) I mean without having to reinstall them from original disks etc.

After taking care of all that, I have an 80gb wd hd that I had cloned from the 40gb and was set up to be my new everyday hd. However, I ran into this computer I just bought and never swapped the two. Now I would like to put the 80gb into the USB external box and use that as my backup hd. What software is there to synchronize the two hds so that the backup always has the same files as the new hd? Is that even possible?
    Have you ever stopped to think and then forget to start thinking again?

As a very wise man once said on this forum: "Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most."

Re: Backing Up and Restoring Data

I think it's very likely that the new machine has at least one IDE header. I would verify this first. The easiest solution is just to install the IDE drive in the new box and migrate
    what you want to the bigger drive. I would just try executing the existing programs on ther 40GB drive and see what happens under Vista before you go re-installing anything.

Forget about the two computers running file transfer, yes it can be done but why bother?

If you are going to do backups, get a proper 750gb or larger external drive and ghost the entire drive at regular intervals. That way if a drive dies, you just remove it and plug in the new one.

Someone here can explain raid arrays to you where every write is done to 2 harddrives. If the new board does not have SATA raid already on the board, you can buy an separate card.

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I was not sure about the IDE connection. I guess though after thinking about it the DVD/CD drive is probably IDE so I could just use that cable to connect the 40gb. Do SATA drives have the Master/Slave jumper (like IDE drives) configuration to worry about?

The reason I was thinking of using the 80gb was because the 40gb is not full yet and I was only thinking of backing up my programs and data (other than Vista). I guess it makes sense to just back up everything.

As a very wise man once said on this forum: "Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most."

Comment

Well as usual I was wrong (my wife tells me that often). The DVD/CD drive is SATA also. So I guess I'm using the USB external box after all.

Comment

Originally posted by killian6pk View Post
          Well as usual I was wrong (my wife tells me that often). The DVD/CD drive is SATA also. So I guess I'm using the USB external box after all.
          Yes, but is there an IDE connector on the motherboard? If so just take the drive and cable from your old box and plug it into the IDE header on the new board.

Comment

What software is there to synchronize the two hds so that the backup always has the same files as the new hd? Is that even possible?
            The new Acronis True Image 2012 has the file synchronization option, but the overall package gets very poor reviews. Might be worth looking into.

Comment

If there isn't an IDE connector buy a USB to IDE/SATA dongle. Power comes from the supply in the computer case. Once you get used to adding drives at will using the dongle you'll find all sorts of uses for it.

No master slave in SATA.

RAID is the only practical way to synchronize drives. It works well and is easy. Synchronizing file by file is a poor solution. Despite the best efforts of Volume Shadow Copy files that are open and in use such as the registry receive constant updates making a complete snapshot unlikely. Nothing works as well as shutting Windows down to get a complete copy.
              sig files are for morons

Comment

I just got this new (to me) computer. I still have my old one running. It has a 40gb WD hd. in the old one and the new one has a 750gb (not sure of brand). The reason for all this is the new computer hd is a SATA and the old one is IDE. I'm not sure there is an IDE connection in this new computer.
                Open it and check. We can't give advice not knowing if an option is viable.

I have Acronis True Image WD edition that I can use to migrate my files to the new computer. or
                Define "migrate my files". Exactly what do you want to preserve? You can't backup your installed applications, at least not most of them, and have them work on the new OS. Only the installer files will help.

As for the user generated data files, there is no need to use a system backup program for that and generally it is just making a simple thing complicated as you then don't have the files, instead a huge compressed backup file they're stuck in and will have to be retrieve from. It's just not the right solution for anything except having a complete backup to restore to the same system in case of malware infection or drive failure, not to migrate to another machine with different hardware.

Is there a way to move my files off the 40gb to the new 750gb maybe through a USB cable, while both puters are running? I also have a external USB drive box that I can put my 40gb into and use that. What's the best way?
                There is no "best" way, every option has its own tradeoffs. Personally, I'd just network the two with ethernet cable and copy over the data files. Almost certainly the new system has an ethernet adapter in it, but if the old doesn't then you can find one dirt cheap. However once you get to the point of going to the trouble of adding a card and driver it may be as easy to just stick a USB flash thumbdrive into the old system and copy the files to that instead.

I highly recommend having an flash thumbdrive for backup of user data, since what you have fits on only a portion of a 40GB HDD already, the cost is small to have a USB flash drive large enough to hold the data and being offline storage with no moving parts it is more reliable than any other option.

Also what do you do to make the files and programs (most were created under win XP) work under Vista 64 which is the operating system on the new computer. (NO JOKES) I mean without having to reinstall them from original disks etc.
                You don't. Most programs installed under XP will not just copy over and work. They have associated registry entries, special files placed in more places than just their /Program Files/ folder, and may even check the hardware IDs as a means of keeping unlicensed copies from working.

To use the apps on a new system you need to get the installation file from the internet or the original CDs or wherever. The user generated data can just be copied over to the new system as stated above.

After taking care of all that, I have an 80gb wd hd that I had cloned from the 40gb and was set up to be my new everyday hd. However, I ran into this computer I just bought and never swapped the two. Now I would like to put the 80gb into the USB external box and use that as my backup hd. What software is there to synchronize the two hds so that the backup always has the same files as the new hd? Is that even possible?
                An old 80GB HDD isn't a very good solution for backups as due to its age it is due to fail at any time. However, Acronis Trueimage can do this, but I don't know if the "WD Edition" has any limitations or if you meant it came with the 40GB HDD which you won't be using, in which case the software may check for the WD drive being present, not find it, so it won't run. There are numerous options including buying a new version of Acronis TI if necessary, a web search with the relevant terms like "software sync external hard drive" should find them.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
                  Forget about the two computers running file transfer, yes it can be done but why bother?
                  Because it takes a heck of a lot less time to just plug in an ethernet cable and while the new system is being set up as kilian6pk wants it, it will probably be desirable to keep the old one running, keeping the HDD in it and the OS loaded. Plus, some user data may be locked if in user profile folders, unless the old system is logged into and transfers initiated from there.

If you are going to do backups, get a proper 750gb or larger external drive and ghost the entire drive at regular intervals. That way if a drive dies, you just remove it and plug in the new one.
                  That's a fine option for a whole volume backup for recovery purposes on the same system but doesn't really do anything useful for migrating applications or backing up a small subset of the partition which is user generated data from one system to another with different hardware.

It seems this topic is trying to do more than one thing at a time and that is generally a bad idea, it's best to tackle one thing THEN work out the next task.

Someone here can explain raid arrays to you where every write is done to 2 harddrives. If the new board does not have SATA raid already on the board, you can buy an separate card.
                  Third topic, and probably not the right option for anything other than maintaining 24/7 uptime. Raid isn't a reliable backup, does nothing to protect again malware, OS corruption, user error, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by 999999999 View Post
                    Raid isn't a reliable backup
                    RAID protects against sudden drive failure, something that no backup can do.
                    sig files are for morons

Comment

Guys thanks for all the info. What I have done is this. I found that there is an IDE header on this MB (could not see it for all the wire and cables). There is a raid something or other connected with the new HD. I have no idea what it is or how to use it.

I spent the last two days moving non program files from my 80gb drive to the 750gb. As I said earlier I have a USB external drive enclosure and I put the 80gb into it and just hooked it up via the USB so that I would have access to the old files. Then I have reloaded actual software that I use from disks & some of those are programs I got from CNet and I just downloaded them again. That way everything works with the new OS. I still have some really old stuff that I will have to hunt for disks for. The data files like monitor manuals, letters and spreadsheets I just copied over.

The dongle that Severach talked about I considered, but decided I did not really need it. I did not know about the networking through the ethernet connections. I will look into the Acronis program a little more and maybe do just a backup once a week or so. That way the 80gb will work until I outgrow it and it does not have to turned on unless I am doing a backup so it's lifetime should be extended. And if the big one comes at least I won't loose more than a weeks worth of data.

Again let me say that you guys are the greatest. No matter what the problem there are answers available. Hey maybe the buzzards in Washington should check here first before deciding anything more important than what's for lunch.

Comment

Working...
                      X