Burning ISO Hell!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning ISO Hell!

I have been trying to burn the Linux Mint 13 iso's. I have tried burning MATE and CINNAMON desktops using K3B and the resulting DVDs refuse to boot. I checked the MD5 sums and they are correct. Since I previously burned the Ubuntu 12.4 LTS on the same computer, I conclude that my optical drive is
    having trouble with the larger MINT files.

I discovered that Startup Disk Creator only works if you use the DVD you created as input. If you use the downloaded ISO, you get a USB stick that refuses to boot.

Any suggestions? Looks like the DVD-based ISOs are a lot more trouble than the CD-based ones. Easy answer is probably just to buy ANOTHER DVD R/W. PITA!!

Re: Burning ISO Hell!

i use this a lot to burn iso http://www.imgburn.com/

Comment

I don't think imgburn is available on Linux...

Try cdrecord from the shell... You'll have to look up the syntax.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Brasero had always worked for me. Its what I use on my debian rigs (I use infrarecorder on my windows rigs).
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I burnt linuxmint-13-mate-dvd-32bit.iso to a DVD using Nero6 with my Pioneer DVR-108

No problems booting it
          better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

I have a Mandriva disc that is a couple of years old. I downloaded it, then burned it (32-bit version 2010.2, IIRC). One of the files related to the install routine was broken, and it was put onto Mandriva's servers that way. (The MD5 checksum was correct on my downloaded file.)

Mistakes can happen on the ISO author's end as well. Rare, but it can happen.

(I tried extracting the ElTorito boot information and inserting a corrected file and then re-burning the disc, but it was too much trouble. Besides, I didn't know if the corrected file was really correct, because I don't know how Mandriva's install routine worked.)

I run KB3 under KDE and CDBurnerXP for Windows (it's free, Microsoft .Net is required).
            Last edited by Hondaman; 08-14-2012, 03:12 PM.

Comment

One of the oldest newcomer mistakes that still happens to the experienced, is to burn an ISO to a disc as a file so instead of the ISO being written directly as a disc image you put the disc in the drive and you see the ISO itself as a single file in its root.

Comment

Unetbooten or DD if=isofile of=usb
                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Working...
                X