Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aspire 9300 keeps switching off

Hi All,
    this is my first post and would be glad of any suggestion for my problem.
    My Acer Aspire 9300 keeps switching off. Some times it will run ok for hours, other times I get from 3 seconds into POST up to a couple of minutes after the PO system has loaded then it just shuts off. First thing I did was to check for overheating. The fan is clear and working with no obstruction. I have Silver Artic paste on the heatsink. Also now the problem can occur at POST when the unit is cold. I replaced the motherboard last year due to the common GPU problem this board has and it has run well up until last week. This problem will occur running from mains only or battery only. I have done lots of searches for the problem but cant find any pointers where to start.

Re: Aspire 9300 keeps switching off

just fixed an acer with same isues! new cpu did it on this one! went through all the heat issues ! heat gunned gpu an board all that an no go, new ram, hd . finnally found a cpu to test in it thinken it was not the problem, ususally when cpu's go,. they just die! not saying ii bank on that but if have another cpu to throw in for test, ..to get sys to run before that. was putting in front of air con for a while an keep it there! not the way to have to run it!!!! good luck!

Comment

maybe that series has a voltage regulation issue, putting too much voltage over a long amount of time can *slowly* electrocute a cpu
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Sounds more like a loose AC adapter plug fitting or battery connection.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Memory would be my first thought, try running one stick at a time in different slots and do a memtest for 24 hrs. Also test the charger for voltage stability. try running it without the keyboard, dead keyboards can cause a whole myriad of intermittent problems. Check voltages with everest or some other app while the machine is running. Do a reset of BIOS. Report back with the results and we'll go from there. Remember - To every problem there is a solution involving a sledgehammer
          Guns don't solve problems. I'll take 12

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Will probably take a bit of time to get through the testing as the problem is intermittent. Will start by testing the memory, then the keyboard and then I can get a CPU from ebay for £3.50 for testing too. Will reply when I have run some tests using the suggestions given.

Comment

Quick update. Have changed the memory trying different banks too, the CPU, updated the BIOS and heatgunned the GPU. On all occasions the laptop ran for several days without a glitch then the problem would start again. Sometimes at POST, sometimes 2 hours after. Only one of the above suggestions I havent tried is replacing the keyboard. I have a spare mobo for this which had the GPU problem. I heat gunned the GPU a couple of weeks ago and got the graphics back so I think now I am going to swap the motherboards over. If the shutting down problem occurs with this mobo I will then try replacing the keyboard. Will have to go on Ebay and get some more thermal paste, almost out now.

Comment

Why would you need to change your keyboard btw?
                http://nishantpinto.blogspot.in/

Comment

Working...
                X