Tenma 72-040 Cap Meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenma 72-040 Cap Meter

Hi guys! I won this cap meter off Ebay earlier this month.. finally got it today..everything works on it.

Just have a question about reading the higher capacitance levels.. this thing goes as high as 20 000 uf and the meter has a selector switch on it that says 20mf.

It has a digital LCD on it.. if I test a used 3300 cap for example.. it reads 3.26 or close to it. Does this mean 3.26x1000 for a reading of 3260uf or does it mean 3.26 and the cap is shot?

I tested some 6.3 1000uf caps and that was easy... it read 850uf.

My next question is how much of a leeway eitherway is acceptable before you determine the cap to be bad? Is 850uf on a 1000uf cap ok? I kinda figure 700uf and below is bad.

Thanks guys!
    www.bcrelectronics.ca

Re: Tenma 72-040 Cap Meter

Almost all caps are rated for a tolerance of +/- 20% (make sure with the data sheet, if you can find one, if you are unsure)

850/1000=.85
    1-.85 is .15
    .15x100=15

So 850uf out of a labeled 1000 would be 15% below the labeled rating, which is in spec.

Comment

If there is an (M) on a cap then it is +/-20%.
      Don't confuse with the Panasonic/Matsushita [M] though.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Yes, 3260uf
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

mF = millifarad
          uF = microfarad

1mF = 1,000uF

3.26mF = 3,260uF

Meter came with no book? It's usually explained or charted in the manual.
          Last edited by Quasar; 09-28-2010, 09:28 PM.

Comment

I have the manual--it's only a couple pages--ur welcome to it if u want.

Comment

Working...
            X