• Time
  • Show
Clear All

need to id q86 on ms-6541 ver 1.0

blown vdimm reg.
    Attached Files

Re: need to id q86 on ms-6541 ver 1.0

Any chance of saving that?

Looks like something went a rye in the ram and burnt that out. Had that happen on my ECS rs482-m754.

Comment

sure.
      thats why i asked about the transistor.
      easy fix.

Comment

Did it go orbital or just sub-orbital??

Moonshot!
        veritas odium parit

Comment

i got it under a magnifier and got 2sc5001.
          btw digikey has it.
          2SC5001TLQCT-ND

Comment

I've had one of those MBs around here with that same device cooked off in the exact same way, for a couple of years before trying to find out what a "Q86" was. Hmmm? OK, longer than that now . .

Anyway, I was going to build an inexpensive system for a technophobic type, and at the time, an AMD was a better idea, but as anti-tech as he is, I worried he'd be worse than usual if it was not the more heavily advertised "Intel Inside" P4. This MS-6541 had no bids on it at eBay, and I wasn't diligent about the fine print. My bid was the only one.

But the seller had warned about a "bad Q86". I had no idea what that was, and for a dollar, plus about $8 of shipping, I just took my medicine (paid for it whether I wanted it that way or not). Now, the thing showed up when clearing a space to put another surplus item.

For $9, is it really worth my time to try my hand at soldering (well, de-soldering first) on this motherboard? It's not much of an MB, limited mostly to 2.0 and under P4s, as it is . .
            Kiwi

Comment

go for it. if you let it sit then it is dead for sure, if you try to fix it then there is hope.
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
              X