Antec SP-400 + Teapo = Junk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antec SP-400 + Teapo = Junk

Well, first I have to say that this is the first time I have ever posted in these forums. I've been referring to badcaps for some time now and have even ordered a decent number of caps (which so far I've been very happy with).

I guess im like Hugo Stiglitz... My status as a CAP killer is still amateur... I came here to find out if I could go pro!

So far under my belt I've recapped well over 20 Dell SX280's and a few 270's. Also recapped a horrible All-In-One brand's motherboards called Cybernet. I've recently jumped into new space like 2 Dell 172FPb monitors and now, I'm thinking that the fun does not need to stop there.

So I've got this Antex SP-400 PSU and its a 100% no boot scenario. I was given this system when building a new computer for a customer of mine (I run a computer shop) and I thought it would be a horrible thing to waste. I replaced 9 x 6.3v 1000uf Teapo caps with some caps I scrapped off another motherboard that simply overheated a bit (I know... reusing caps, shame shame). I'm unclear what brand they were, they had a small "M" on them as a brand label. I want to say I read somewhere that these are possibly Panasonic?

The motherboard recap went great, I plugged in the old power supply assuming it was just the mobo that had cap issues. Low and behold it wouldn't start, so I tried another PSU and sure enough everything works great. So upon further investigation I notice that this Antec PSU ALSO uses these completely crap Teapo caps, all of which are blown.

So my question (finally) is... I've never recapped a power supply, and I'd like to be cautious. Is there anything specific I should know to avoid killing myself. I am aware that I am supposed to drain the larger caps off before working on the psu, but I'm not clear on how to make/buy that device and how to use it properly. Any insight one of you guys could provide would be excellent. Of course for this re-cap (since its a PSU) I plan on using new caps to avoid a

Thanks guys, looking forward to learning and contributing to these forums
    Last edited by Welch; 12-06-2011, 03:57 PM.

Re: Antec SP-400 + Teapo = Junk

Originally posted by Welch View Post
    I'm unclear what brand they were, they had a small "M" on them as a brand label. I want to say I read somewhere that these are possibly Panasonic?
    M = Matsushita = Panasonic.

Additionally, most people see bloated Fuhjyuu caps in Antec Smart and TruePower supplies.
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 12-06-2011, 06:01 PM.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

See this thread for info: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8403
      veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Welch View Post
        So my question (finally) is... I've never recapped a power supply, and I'd like to be cautious. Is there anything specific I should know to avoid killing myself.
        The heatsinks can be hot [have power] so if it's powered up with the cover off beware.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
          The heatsinks can be hot [have power] so if it's powered up with the cover off beware.
          Yeah... I learned that the hard way a few months ago. It's not something that you want to mess with...

Comment

Working...
          X