Iiyama ProLite481S - Bad Caps Found - Advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iiyama ProLite481S - Bad Caps Found - Advice Please

Iiyama monitor developed the on/off clicking which other members on here have reported.

After the screen sitting in a cupboard for a year (placed there before I learnt about badcaps) I took it apart today and below shows the findings:

Iiyama Caps

Obviously there is the pair with the split tops. Can anybody confirm if the larger laid down is split around one of its legs?

I started my search for new caps on RS - I'm in the UK - but putting in the attributes of 16V and 1000uF gives 35 caps. What specification do I need to look for, or will any of these work? What is a reliable brand?

Also is there anything else I should be looking out for now the screen is open?

Thanks!

Re: Iiyama ProLite481S - Bad Caps Found - Advice Please

Please attach the pictures using 'Manage Attachments' (below the text entry area). That way they will be hosted here, and will always be available.

In general you are looking for
    name brand (Panasonic, Nichicon, United Chemicon)
    low ESR (Panasonic FM, FR, or FC series; or equivalent from the other manufacturers) with
    dimensions that match the available space. Specifically, the Panasonic EEU-FM1C102 would be ideal. It is STRONGLY recommended that you replace ALL electrolytic caps with the possible exception of the large (typically 100uF, 450 volt) one that rarely fails. Do replace it if there is any sign it may be bad.

Your countrymen may chime in to correct me, but RS and Farnell may be your best choice of suppliers.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Attached Photos:
      Attached Files

Comment

Looking at the leg on the largest cap it is leaking so will need changing also
        RS and Farnell are good suppliers but not sure if they have minimum orders so not sure what their P+P costs are .
        Make a list of the caps you need remembering to note height and diameter and check their sites or you can scan ebay there are some good sellers

Comment

Many thanks for the detailed response PlainBill.

After searching through RS I have come up with:

To replace:
          1000uF 16V - as blown:
          RS Panasonic 1000uF 16V

40uF 16V:
          RS Panasonic 470uF 16V option

OR:
          RS Panasonic 470uF 16V option

And the big one 150uF 400V I am not sure about, these are the possible 13 options:
          RS 150uF 400V

Can somebody advise if these are correct and what I should choose.

I am choosing to replace these 13 out of the 19 on the board due to the convenience of values. I don't want to have to purchase 5 when I only need 1 and they're alright for the time being...
          Unless you can convince me otherwise?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by sabre504 View Post
            Looking at the leg on the largest cap it is leaking so will need changing also...
            Thanks for the confirmation, added to the list.

Originally posted by sabre504 View Post
            ...remembering to note height and diameter...
            Yes I noticed the different sizing - I will double check before ordering, I imagine this has caused many problems!

Thanks for the advice

Comment

A few yes

Judging by the state of the caps i would change them all on the psu board
              best do them all now that way if you still have a problem after they are fitted
              they can be ruled out and other tests suggested
              Whereabouts in UK are you ?

Comment

Ok, I will consider replacing them all, maybe I can find somewhere with no minimum order.

Are the caps listed in the post above suitable?

I'm Swindon area. Why???

Comment

Originally posted by Pull9Gs View Post
                  Ok, I will consider replacing them all, maybe I can find somewhere with no minimum order.

Are the caps listed in the post above suitable?

I'm Swindon area. Why???
                  All of the caps are suitable, except for those rated 150uF, 400V @ 85°C. There are plenty in the group rated for 105°C, choose the one that fits.

There are a couple of small caps in the power supply that can fail without physical signs. They are typically rated 22 - 100uF. If they fail, the power supply won't work.

PlainBill
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Just helps others when suggesting places to buy parts if they know your rough area

Comment

Both Farnell and RS have a minimum order of £20,so be prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                        All of the caps are suitable, except for those rated 150uF, 400V @ 85°C. There are plenty in the group rated for 105°C, choose the one that fits.
                        After searching through all on RS and Farnell I cant find a single one with long legs - required to enable the capacitor to lay down. They are mostly snap in and if not only have legs of around 6mm and I need at least 15mm.

Any advice where else I could look or is it a case of lengthening the legs with a short piece of wire??

External dimemsions are Dia:20mm Height:35mm

There are a couple of small caps in the power supply that can fail without physical signs. They are typically rated 22 - 100uF. If they fail, the power supply won't work.
                        Following your folks advice I am going to try and replace them all.

Comment

ref the large cap, have sent you a PM,which may help.

Comment

After searching through all on RS and Farnell I cant find a single one with long legs - required to enable the capacitor to lay down. They are mostly snap in and if not only have legs of around 6mm and I need at least 15mm.

Any advice where else I could look or is it a case of lengthening the legs with a short piece of wire??

External dimemsions are Dia:20mm Height:35mm
                            The easiest is to cut the leads of the old cap as close to the body of the cap as practical, the wrap and solder them to the leads of the new cap.

PlainBill

Comment

I have a similar monitor which I have fixed. Mine did not have the problem with the big 150uF 400V cap. I had to replace the two 1000uF 16V. I simply went down to the local Maplin and asked for two 1000uF 25V 105C, the stock code is DT70M costing 44p each. The caps from Maplin are Jamicon which I find are quite reliable.

Comment

Ive now sourced a replacement for the large capacitor from a very helpful user on here so that little problem is solved.

Could somebody please be kind enough to check through my shopping list below before I place the order to make sure they are all suitable. I have checked all of the dimensions so that isn't a worry.

1000uF 16V

470uF 16V

22uF 25V

1uF 50V

220uF 16V

33uF 50V

If there is any problem with any of them/recommendations for improvement I am happy to search for others.

Thanks!

Comment

Ive now sourced a replacement for the large capacitor from a very helpful user on here so that little problem is solved.

Could somebody please be kind enough to check through my shopping list below before I place the order to make sure they are all suitable. I have checked all of the dimensions so that isn't a worry.

If there is any problem with any of them/recommendations for improvement I am happy to search for others.

Thanks!
                                  1000uF 16V Good!

470uF 16V Good!

22uF 25V I would suggest http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eeuf...3v/dp/9692495; the one you selected is not low ESR.

1uF 50V Good!

220uF 16V Good!

33uF 50V Good!

PlainBill

Comment

22uF 25V I would suggest http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eeuf...3v/dp/9692495; the one you selected is not low ESR.
                                    Call me stupid but does it not matter that the voltage value is higher?

Or rather is this the maximum voltage that the capacitor can handle? Before it burns out perhaps?

Huge thanks to PlainBill for checking through all of those!

Comment

but does it not matter that the voltage value is higher?

Or rather is this the maximum voltage that the capacitor can handle? Before it burns out perhaps?
                                      You can go higher in voltage for cap selection, just make sure the dimensions fit. The voltage on the cap is the maximum rated.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

So... Good News, it's fixed!

Ordered the above shopping list with PlainBill's recommendation and swapped all the caps out yesterday morning - see attached photos.

Had the display on for the rest of the day ~10hours and worked faultlessly.

Thanks to all the help on here a complete noob has been able to beat the capacitor plague!

Cheers guys!
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X